Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
roadtrip1098
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 185688
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
WR Blue

Default AEM Water Meth Injection Kit 30-3000

I did a few searches and had not seen any reviews on this specific kit from AEM. If I am in error, please flame away.

Here's the short version (see post 2 for the long notes):

The kit is the AEM 30-3000 H2O Injection found Here

Purchase date: June 9, 2013
Purchase Price: $360

Self installed and tuned for using Tactrix
Install time: 2.5 hours - and I had never done one before.

Recommend: Yes.

Pros:
Very easy to install*
Has a signal light built into the controller as well as an external LED to let you know when the system is on and if there are any errors.
The pump is very quiet
Quality of the kit is top notch
Fittings for the water/meth lines are very easy to use and hold great
Includes a low level sensor in the tank
Has failsafe output wires to cut boost should the system fail
Includes 3 nozzle sizes
Only thing that didn't come in the kit was the actual mixture

Cons:
Have to buy or mix water meth
The 1 Gal tank requires more frequent topping off
If using TMIC you might have to tap into your end tank on the intercooler which is scary as hell because most are not very thick.

*Install was very easy overall, but as stated in the Cons, tapping a hole in a perfectly good intercooler can be nerve racking. Also care should be taken with tank placement. Make sure the bottom of the tank is at least as high as the inlet on the pump and also make sure the top of the tank is easily accessible for topping it off. My suggestion is mounting the pump in the spare tire well and mounting the tank where the trunk latches.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
roadtrip1098
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STi
WR Blue

Long notes:

Why'd I buy it?
I live in Maine, and we only get 91 octane.
I wanted to retain as much of a stock look as I could (so that means keeping the TMIC).
My injectors were routinely running out of steam at higher RPM/boost levels.
Granite State Dyno gave me a helluva deal on the system at the Wicked Big Meet.
All my friends recently bought faster cars than my STi and I needed a little bump to keep up.
I wanted to experiment on my car for tuning with it before recommending it to anyone else.

Why no dyno numbers?
I've never been about the max power output. To me driveability, reliability, and fun factor are more important than bragging rights. The nearest all wheel drive dyno is in the next state. Dynos cost money and I'm a cheap f*&^@r.

With no dyno, how did I tune and gauge improvements?
I used a wideband AFR gauge to log my actual AFR while under boost. I adjusted the target ARF's up by as much as half a point to compensate for the added methyl, but only in the areas of the map where the engine is under load and at rpm levels I knew would achieve the boost levels required to activate the system. For the first run, target AFR's were the only change I made, with the system starting spray at about 5psi and maxing out the pump at 15psi. Target boost was an ultra safe 17.5psi. Once AFR's were stable under load, I bumped up the boost over a few runs getting up around 19.5psi. I initially did not change the timing. I only changed the no knock advance to a lower number with a slightly shorter delay to see what the learned timing would be under boost. I then used the average of target timing versus the total timing to determine the new values. I did a few runs and adjusted the maps accordingly after each set of runs.
I used data logging, and lots of it. I basically timed it in the same gears for back to back runs with different maps from 2000 rpm to 6300 rpm. If the time was shorter and there was no hint of cylinder roughness or knock correction, then I would assume the changes were in the right direction.
I also have my knock correction set ridiculously high so it will pull the timing advance back down quickly in the even of a failure.
Final results:
BOOST
Initial:17.5 taper to 14
Now: 19.5 taper to 17.5

AFR Target
Initial: 10.8
Now: 11.4

Actual AFR:
Initial: 10.7
Now: 10.8

TIMING - on average was increased about 5 degrees over the portion of the map where the water meth is active.

INJECTOR DUTY
Initial: 115%
Now: 88%

How did it change driveability?
Initially I didn't notice, other than looking at the data logs because I made so many back to back runs with such small changes it was hard to tell if there was any gain at all. A few of my friends have driven before and after and asked when I had switched to a GT30r and were dumbfounded when I showed them the stock turbo and told them the only change I made was installing water meth and a bit of tuning.
After running the system for a couple weeks, I have to say it's pretty awesome. With the stock turbo it feels like I have power on tap all the time. Running a leaner mix and more advanced timing means I don't have to hit the massive boost numbers to make power.

What do I use for a Mixture?
I buy Denatured Alcohol at Home Depot. It's 55% methyl 45% ethyl going by the hazmat data sheet the manufacturer provides for it. It runs about $16 a gallon. I mix it 50/50 with distilled water from WalMart which is $0.88 a gallon.
I do not use windshield wash because the mixture varies so much and I have seen the blue staining/gunk it leaves on metal parts and I don't want that in my motor.

I will try to answer any questions the best I can. I don't have all the answers though. I'll check in with usage and any reliability issues I may have (I don't anticipate any though).
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Silkeeks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358274
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

What's does this do for gas mileage?
Silkeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
roadtrip1098
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STi
WR Blue

Since the system is only active while under boost, so the change is negligible. I suppose mileage would be slightly better while under heavy load, but at the cost of having to top off the water meth system. This allows you to buy 91 or 93 octane but tune your car more like what it would be on race fuel. Currently I use about 1 gallon of water meth to every 2-3 tanks of gas. At about $8 per gallon for my mix, it works out to be between $3-$4 "extra" per tank of gas. Completely worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Silkeeks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

So while under boost gas milage would have to better because you are using the water/meth in place of 100% fuel.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
roadtrip1098
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STi
WR Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkeeks View Post
So while under boost gas milage would have to better because you are using the water/meth in place of 100% fuel.
You are correct, but after watching my boost gauge, I am barely ever over 5 psi... the system is only active when under hard acceleration which accounts for such a small amount of the total time driving that the fuel savings is negligible. Also if you are going to "max out" your car using water meth, and bring the injectors up to 100% duty cycle, you wouldn't have any fuel savings, but you would gain a bunch of power. Also as I mentioned before, the mixture costs about $8 a gallon to make yourself and when you factor that in, you really aren't getting any real savings at the pump.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Silkeeks
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
Satin White Pearl

Yeah :/ you are right there. I thought about doing it with my wrx.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
roadtrip1098
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STi
WR Blue

I still highly recommend it. Just being able to keep pre-det down to a minimum is a huge piece of mind. I especially recommend it in older STi's with the smaller injectors. Having the water meth as an extra "injector" to keep the AFR's low is nice when running higher boost levels. My injector duty cycles have come down quite a bit since installation and I hit my target AFR's perfectly - every pull.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
Android287
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (6)

Member#: 180861
Vehicle:
2005 cammed Hybrid
2.5xtr E85

Can your mixture of meth and distilled water freeze? It was -10 the other morning here.
Android287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
mrsmithz9
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (5)

Member#: 314767
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
PSM

I doubt that mixture would freeze, and you could always use HEET + water as an alternative.
mrsmithz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
roadtrip1098
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 STi
WR Blue

The mixture won't freeze. I left a gallon jug out overnight and it was -27 with the wind chill. No issues.