Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
psychoskip
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78408
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stix, VA
Vehicle:
All swOLdierS!
moUNt uP SiLlLies!

Default Is my power steering pump bad? or is it something else?

Ok, so my steering was making loud noises, and it was extremely hard to turn. I saw a small leak where the hose met the reservoir. I fixed that, bled the system.

Now, all the noises have gone away, and but it is still EXTREMELY hard to turn, and the reservoir is gurgling almost, seems like its shaking around.

Should i replace the pump? Thanks guys
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
psychoskip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
09rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216135
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle:
2011 Civic SI
STX #66, 06 S2000 STR 180

Default

Get new clamps....$4...done.
09rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
hwy61
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87950
Join Date: May 2005
Location: B,ham AL
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Gone....Somewhere in MS

Default

Sounds like you still have air in the system. It doesn't take much and what do you mean by gurgling. There should be no gurgling. Air will: make your steering wheel hard to turn, cause it to jerk as you are turning, place bubbles in the reservoir, place enough stress on the pump to wear out your accessory belt. Lucas ps leak stop will make a properly functioning system very sluggish and the wheel hard to turn when the fluid is cold. I think you saw my thread on my experience and the O ring being the problem. Good luck, but air in the system causes all kinds of malfunctions. Hwy61
hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
psychoskip
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78408
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stix, VA
Vehicle:
All swOLdierS!
moUNt uP SiLlLies!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
Sounds like you still have air in the system. It doesn't take much and what do you mean by gurgling. There should be no gurgling. Air will: make your steering wheel hard to turn, cause it to jerk as you are turning, place bubbles in the reservoir, place enough stress on the pump to wear out your accessory belt. Lucas ps leak stop will make a properly functioning system very sluggish and the wheel hard to turn when the fluid is cold. I think you saw my thread on my experience and the O ring being the problem. Good luck, but air in the system causes all kinds of malfunctions. Hwy61
Hey HWY61,

I actually read your write up, and i appreciate you taking the time to do that.

This is a detailed review of my problems.

A guy backed up into me, and i immediately notice that my power steering was affected. It was HARD to turn, it made a LOUD noise when turning, and there was a lot of micro bubbles in the reservoir. I checked the hoses and it seemed to be leaking where the PS pump hose meets the reservoir.

So i replaced the hoses, and the reservoir completely. I also "bled" the system by disconnecting the return hose and draining it. But I noticed that it drained VERY slowly.

Now, there's no mivrobubbles, but its still really hard to turn/jerky.

Last edited by psychoskip; 01-24-2010 at 12:02 AM.
psychoskip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
hwy61
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87950
Join Date: May 2005
Location: B,ham AL
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Gone....Somewhere in MS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoskip View Post
Hey HWY61,

I actually read your write up, and i appreciate you taking the time to do that.

This is a detailed review of my problems.

A guy backed up into me, and i immediately notice that my power steering was affected. It was HARD to turn, it made a LOUD noise when turning, and there was a lot of micro bubbles in the reservoir. I checked the hoses and it seemed to be leaking where the PS pump hose meets the reservoir.

So i replaced the hoses, and the reservoir completely. I also "bled" the system by disconnecting the return hose and draining it. But I noticed that it drained VERY slowly.

Now, there's no mivrobubbles, but its still really hard to turn/jerky.
Hmmmm?????? How hard did the guy hit you? Could have damaged something. Still could be air. I'm not familiar with that bleed system. Here is the way I did it after removing the reservoir, repairing the hoses with new clamps, installing a new belt.....air caused the old one with 3,000 mile on it to break. I started the engine to warm the fluid ( it was 17F around here at the time). This was just to make any air in the system flow a little easier. Then I shut the engine off, jacked up the front of the car so both front tires were off the floor. Left the reservoir cap off so I could look at the fluid. Make sure the reservoir has fluid up to the full line.

Then you manually turn the front tires from lock to lock to lock to lock about thirty times. By moving the tires with your hands on them. Stop every 10 or so and look for bubbles. Keep doing this until there are none.....not even little ones. When you don't see any more turn the steering wheel lock to lock thirty times. Get out and look for bubbles. Don't see any? Good. Now start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly back and forth but not all the way to lock. Do this until the fluid has warmed up. There should be no shake, no noise and especially no bubbles reintroduced into the system. If there are any at all....you still have a vacuum leak letting in air.

Was there any damage to the car....the front shoved in....the tires jammed into anything? If so, I'd let Subaru look at it and the other guy's insurance needs to pay for the repair if there is damage. If you haven't replaced that inlet O ring get one. It might have been dislodged by the impact. My theory is that these cars are all pretty similar (eliminating mods from this discussion).....and when you read about a problem on one.....yours can have the same problem..... I don't think draining the system will remove the air alone. Remember the air can be in the lines..in the rack or in the pump or in all of those places. Gotta get it all out. Hwy61
hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
psychoskip
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78408
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stix, VA
Vehicle:
All swOLdierS!
moUNt uP SiLlLies!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
Hmmmm?????? How hard did the guy hit you? Could have damaged something. Still could be air. I'm not familiar with that bleed system. Here is the way I did it after removing the reservoir, repairing the hoses with new clamps, installing a new belt.....air caused the old one with 3,000 mile on it to break. I started the engine to warm the fluid ( it was 17F around here at the time). This was just to make any air in the system flow a little easier. Then I shut the engine off, jacked up the front of the car so both front tires were off the floor. Left the reservoir cap off so I could look at the fluid. Make sure the reservoir has fluid up to the full line.

Then you manually turn the front tires from lock to lock to lock to lock about thirty times. By moving the tires with your hands on them. Stop every 10 or so and look for bubbles. Keep doing this until there are none.....not even little ones. When you don't see any more turn the steering wheel lock to lock thirty times. Get out and look for bubbles. Don't see any? Good. Now start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly back and forth but not all the way to lock. Do this until the fluid has warmed up. There should be no shake, no noise and especially no bubbles reintroduced into the system. If there are any at all....you still have a vacuum leak letting in air.

Was there any damage to the car....the front shoved in....the tires jammed into anything? If so, I'd let Subaru look at it and the other guy's insurance needs to pay for the repair if there is damage. If you haven't replaced that inlet O ring get one. It might have been dislodged by the impact. My theory is that these cars are all pretty similar (eliminating mods from this discussion).....and when you read about a problem on one.....yours can have the same problem..... I don't think draining the system will remove the air alone. Remember the air can be in the lines..in the rack or in the pump or in all of those places. Gotta get it all out. Hwy61
It was just a small fender bender. He backed up into me and broke my grill and bent the hood a little bit.

Ill see what i can do my own, and see if i can get all the air out. If i can't, its time to take it to a mechanic.
psychoskip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
09rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216135
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle:
2011 Civic SI
STX #66, 06 S2000 STR 180

Default

I was short with my response, but was not pulling your leg. There is a thread around here 3-4 months ago, where this guy was having a similar problem....it just wouldn't fully bleed. MasterKwan told him to get new hose clamps. The guy just kept beating around the bush and trying this and that. In the end, it was $4 worth of hose clamps that fully fixed the problem. Can't hurt to try.
09rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
psychoskip
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78408
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stix, VA
Vehicle:
All swOLdierS!
moUNt uP SiLlLies!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
I was short with my response, but was not pulling your leg. There is a thread around here 3-4 months ago, where this guy was having a similar problem....it just wouldn't fully bleed. MasterKwan told him to get new hose clamps. The guy just kept beating around the bush and trying this and that. In the end, it was $4 worth of hose clamps that fully fixed the problem. Can't hurt to try.
At this point, i won't rule anything out.

Im gunna tinker with it later this morning and Ill plan on going and picking up some new clamps.
psychoskip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
hwy61
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87950
Join Date: May 2005
Location: B,ham AL
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Gone....Somewhere in MS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
I was short with my response, but was not pulling your leg. There is a thread around here 3-4 months ago, where this guy was having a similar problem....it just wouldn't fully bleed. MasterKwan told him to get new hose clamps. The guy just kept beating around the bush and trying this and that. In the end, it was $4 worth of hose clamps that fully fixed the problem. Can't hurt to try.
I think that is fully presented in this thread and with pictures including what finally fixed mine after the leaking hoses were repaired. Psychoskip is familiar with this link I think. Hwy61


http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1897783
hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
09rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 216135
Join Date: Jul 2009
Vehicle:
2011 Civic SI
STX #66, 06 S2000 STR 180

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy61 View Post
I think that is fully presented in this thread and with pictures including what finally fixed mine after the leaking hoses were repaired. Psychoskip is familiar with this link I think. Hwy61


http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1897783
Yeah I read that one too. Your final fix with the o-ring at the connector right?

Anyway, I can't find the thread I was talking about but if I stumble upon it, I'll post it.
09rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
hwy61
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87950
Join Date: May 2005
Location: B,ham AL
Vehicle:
2005 STI
Gone....Somewhere in MS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
Yeah I read that one too. Your final fix with the o-ring at the connector right?

Anyway, I can't find the thread I was talking about but if I stumble upon it, I'll post it.

This one perhaps? Yeah there have been a number of threads regarding this lately. I think cold weather shrinks the rubber and cold fluid is harder to cycle which puts more pressure on everything. The rubber shrinking doesn't necessarily mean it clamps harder on fittings. My hoses were leaking where they clamped onto the plastic reservoir. The other ends were not, but a leak here must be fixed. Air was getting in at my O ring though and possibly the loose fittings. Hard to tell the O ring was letting in so much and it started very quickly with the arrival of cold weather. One day everything was normal.....the next, not. Hwy61

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1799692&page=2
hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #12
psychoskip
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78408
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Stix, VA
Vehicle:
All swOLdierS!
moUNt uP SiLlLies!

Default

Swapped the pump out, didn't make a bit of difference. Going to try new clamps tomorrow, any recommendations on which kind?
psychoskip is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is my power steering pump supposed to be this loud? XanRules Service & Maintenance 9 04-18-2010 01:45 AM
WTB:04 FXT Power Steering Pump Local or compatible Ireneusz MWSOC Private Classifieds 1 02-02-2010 09:57 AM
Is my power steering pump gone? BKscooby Newbies & FAQs 13 01-18-2010 10:19 AM
HELP!!!My Power Steering PUMP is SQUEELING!!! subaman81 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 10 02-24-2006 10:55 PM
DAMN IT!!! My power steering pump is out and.... system_s4000 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 2 01-22-2002 06:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.