Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
jmd494
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301402
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default Controlling subwoofer volume with factory/stock head unit (2012 WRX Limited)

Brand new to the forum and hope I'm not asking a question that's already been answered. I searched for over an hour and found similar questions but couldn't find this one exactly. If it's already been asked, I apologize!

Anyway, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a powered sub which I'll run from the 2012 Limited WRX factory stock head unit (NON-Navi) through this factory sound processor.

From what I've been able to ascertain from my searches so far, the only outputs from the stock head unit are 1) speaker wire outputs and 2) subwoofer output but you need the proprietary wiring harness.

It seems I could hook the speaker wire outputs to my FSP, which would give the subs a signal. But wouldn't this mean I would have no direct control over the volume of the subwoofer from the driver's seat (only "Bass", which would also impact the speakers, and "volume")?

Is there some way around this? Can I tap into the headunit's subwoofer outputs without the harness? And if so, will there actually be a head unit menu option for subwoofer volume?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Trying to keep this as OEM-looking as possible, so I'd really not like to use a separate volume knob.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jmd494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
mnsilverrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 224685
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: La Crescent MN
Vehicle:
02 wrx wagon
white

Default

buy an amp with a bass boost control that you can run from the amp to up by you and you will be able to control the bass freq from the controller allowing you to change how hard the sub will hit when ur listing music. if your going to use the stock head unit go to your local audio shop and tell them wat your doing, they make a special harness to tap in to the speaker wire and run your RCAs from that to the amp! do this and you will get the best sound out of the stock head unit with out buying an after market one. as far as amps go off the top of my head Kicker,Audison, calairion come with the knob you are looking for. Im sure their are other company's out their too its just been awhile sense the last time I was in an audio shop. Personally I would up great to an aftermarket head unit you will get much better sound and more power to the stock speakers thus making them sound better, this also will clean up alot the the wire mess that will be going on behind the stock head unit. I would also get bass blockers for the front speakers to make them last longer and not blow them by playin ur music to loud if you are not going to change the front speakers, and if you do spend the money to one fronts speakers get nice ones because they are better and sound one hundred time better than crappy ones. this all things I have learned messing around with car audio in the last 8 year. do it right the first time and you will not have to fix it, be cheap and you will not like it and end up spending 2 to 3 time the amount on car audio getting it the way you want it.
mnsilverrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
CSVT_2004
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182213
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Madison
Vehicle:
1999 Contour SVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd494 View Post
Brand new to the forum and hope I'm not asking a question that's already been answered. I searched for over an hour and found similar questions but couldn't find this one exactly. If it's already been asked, I apologize!

Anyway, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a powered sub which I'll run from the 2012 Limited WRX factory stock head unit (NON-Navi) through this factory sound processor.

From what I've been able to ascertain from my searches so far, the only outputs from the stock head unit are 1) speaker wire outputs and 2) subwoofer output but you need the proprietary wiring harness.

It seems I could hook the speaker wire outputs to my FSP, which would give the subs a signal. But wouldn't this mean I would have no direct control over the volume of the subwoofer from the driver's seat (only "Bass", which would also impact the speakers, and "volume")?

Is there some way around this? Can I tap into the headunit's subwoofer outputs without the harness? And if so, will there actually be a head unit menu option for subwoofer volume?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Trying to keep this as OEM-looking as possible, so I'd really not like to use a separate volume knob.
Yes you are correct, if you hook after the FSP, your "bass" adjustment will affect your interior speakers and your sub. A simple solution would be an amp with a bass knob. As far as integration, see below.

If you don't have the factory sub, but the sub setting is still present, you can use some small female pins to get your signal.

See pictures 8 and 9 to see the female connectors I'm speaking of.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1727696

08+ HU info.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2&postcount=11
CSVT_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Power6
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 72730
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Wayland, MA
Vehicle:
2001 Lexus ES300,
2005 Outback XT

Default

Check with the stock radio sticky about the stock sub out, the non-Nav doesn't typically have one but the latest radios might. All stock subwoofers do not use any subwoofer output though, they just tap off the front speakers.

Just use the remote that comes with the Basslink, put it somewhere inconspicuous, you will want to have it.
Power6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
jmd494
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301402
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Thank you, all. Very helpful!
jmd494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
CSVT_2004
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182213
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Madison
Vehicle:
1999 Contour SVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
Check with the stock radio sticky about the stock sub out, the non-Nav doesn't typically have one but the latest radios might. All stock subwoofers do not use any subwoofer output though, they just tap off the front speakers.

Just use the remote that comes with the Basslink, put it somewhere inconspicuous, you will want to have it.
In older versions the sub output was a T harness tied off of the rear speaker output. The newer version has it's own dedicated output if the radio has it. If your radio does not have the output, you will more than likely need a LOC (line output converter) to take your high level audio signal down to a low level RCA input.

References:

See rear picture of non-navi unit and notes about plugs in back of unit.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2&postcount=11

Pin out info if you have the sub/aux plug.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...95/index3.html
CSVT_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Power6
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 72730
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Wayland, MA
Vehicle:
2001 Lexus ES300,
2005 Outback XT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSVT_2004 View Post
In older versions the sub output was a T harness tied off of the rear speaker output. The newer version has it's own dedicated output if the radio has it.
We might be talking about different things. There are sub outs on some of the latest gen head units. Others might have the i86 plug like my 09 stock 6-disc, but that is only for the aux in from the console, the sub out pins have no output and of course no pins from the factory. The NAV has a sub output in the 24-pin with missing pins from the factory as well.

Regardless, only that Forester factory setup uses the i86 plug. Every other OEM port and dealer installed Subaru sub for the Impreza/Forester chassis does not use a sub output from the headunit. They use a T harness that taps off the front speakers, I traced it myself and let SVXdc know. Another gentleman here was nice enough to analyze a stock headunit and found that the rear speakers are actually high-passed, so it makes sense they tap the fronts. The latest Kicker sub might tap all 4 speakers, as it high-passes them all in the harness.

Just wanted to set the record straight, so you don't give out bad info CSVT_2004. We do have sub outs on many of the headunits but they are largely unused, but there for the DIY-er.
Power6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock Head Unit 2010 WRX hippomcqueen Interior/Dressup/Audio & Security 2 04-16-2010 09:43 PM
FS: Stock Head Unit 05 wrx MickeyD Interior/Dressup/Audio & Security 5 01-29-2010 10:36 AM
Have YOU had problems with your stock head unit overheating? limpstick Car Audio, Video & Security 4 11-19-2006 12:55 AM
F/S Stock Head Unit (04 WRX Wagon) WildWolf Interior/Dressup/Audio & Security 0 07-31-2006 04:55 PM
Stock head unit question...WRX firedust Electrical & Lighting 3 07-27-2003 01:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.