Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #76
Subarudave09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209316
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subarudave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #77
subydude02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 140643
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Vehicle:
04' PSM Limited Wrx
371whp/344wtq E85

Default

hey if your gonna do it at least you did it well and didn't duck tape it to the dash and have wires all over. just make sure you don't leave that sucker like that when you go in the store! or i'll come take it! lol

i like it
subydude02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #78
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Just as a quick update:

First paint match attempt failed miserably (wont' even post it, it's awful and I am with Sherwin Williams)

Sanding and re-painting tonight. Few more tweaks needed until it's perfect, then coming to a store near you!
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #79
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarudave09 View Post
And yes, everyone has seen the awful SoundMan install. Doing an iPad in a SUV is really pretty trivial, as your dash is friggin' huge. Doing it in a sedan... without cutting anything... while keeping OEM-style appearance... different ballgame.

Most people are not comfortable taking a dremel and going to town on their dashboard or bezel. Many people would, on the other hand, welcome a direct replacement of OEM parts that fit just like stock ones do.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #80
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
looking good! Where did you relocate the hazard to?

And because you said you have it powered by a usb spliced into 12v, i have to ask...How are you running your speakers?
Sorry missed this post.

Hazard moved to the left of the steering wheel. Popped out the extra slot next to the IC water spray button.

Speakers are powered by a Kicker amp. Volume control is now done with this: Absolute RSW250.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #81
b00st3d
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9891
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans, LA
Vehicle:
2014 IS350 F Sport
Ultra White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
Just as a quick update:

First paint match attempt failed miserably (wont' even post it, it's awful and I am with Sherwin Williams)

Sanding and re-painting tonight. Few more tweaks needed until it's perfect, then coming to a store near you!
Sweet!
b00st3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #82
Alta
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246858
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Silver

Default

I can't wait for a legitimate Subaru solution to come out. I have a Pioneer AVIC-Something or other in-car stereo, but I would take an iPad dock any day of the week.
Alta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #83
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta View Post
I can't wait for a legitimate Subaru solution to come out. I have a Pioneer AVIC-Something or other in-car stereo, but I would take an iPad dock any day of the week.
This will never happen. Neither Subaru or any other car maker would purposefully bring that much potential litigation against them. This is a perfect aftermarket world type situation.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #84
c0rehax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197363
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: pg 831
Default

im sold..!
c0rehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #85
SonicWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24464
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnasti
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi (SWP)
Surgeline Tuned

Default

I really like what jr4284 has done here. I have a few concerns and a couple of questions:

* How sturdy are those side retainer tabs? Did you consider a pair of bolt-on pieces to extend further along the bezel on each side? They could even be sized to allow a slight bit of compression to clamp the iPad into place. Leading to the next concern...

* How does the iPad handle bumps? I've had my iPhone finally dance out of its dock mount due to my slightly stiffer than stock suspension.

* Is there any chance to get the iPad a little lower in the bezel so it doesn't peak over the top of the dash? The reason I ask is that this might work well with the stock Subaru gauge cluster housing for EQ/volume controls.

Questions:

* How did you model this? SolidWorks maybe? If so, would you be willing to post a few alternate views of the model so we can see the back side?

* For your production piece are you going for a molding tool or will you stick to rapid prototyping (3D printing)?

* The final piece will require the iPad dock correct? (I have one that I've never even taken from the box.)

*Can you detail a bit how you connected from iPad to amp and then to the stock wiring harness?

Thanks and kudos for your creativity!

Mitch
SonicWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #86
Kiwi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 67942
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: I come from the Land DownUnder
Vehicle:
The Other
Land Down Under

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
Just as a quick update:

First paint match attempt failed miserably (wont' even post it, it's awful and I am with Sherwin Williams)

Sanding and re-painting tonight. Few more tweaks needed until it's perfect, then coming to a store near you!
If you really are planning on selling these, are you planning on taking the impreza logo off?

Pretty sure Subaru wouldn't be all that keen with you using one of their logos.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #87
constantino7491
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187358
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Palm Beach/Miami, FL
Vehicle:
08 BMW 328

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If you really are planning on selling these, are you planning on taking the impreza logo off?

Pretty sure Subaru wouldn't be all that keen with you using one of their logos.
agreed
constantino7491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #88
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rehax View Post
im sold..!
Thanks! 1 closer to break-even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicWRX View Post
I really like what jr4284 has done here. I have a few concerns and a couple of questions:

* How sturdy are those side retainer tabs? Did you consider a pair of bolt-on pieces to extend further along the bezel on each side? They could even be sized to allow a slight bit of compression to clamp the iPad into place. Leading to the next concern...

* How does the iPad handle bumps? I've had my iPhone finally dance out of its dock mount due to my slightly stiffer than stock suspension.

* Is there any chance to get the iPad a little lower in the bezel so it doesn't peak over the top of the dash? The reason I ask is that this might work well with the stock Subaru gauge cluster housing for EQ/volume controls.

Questions:

* How did you model this? SolidWorks maybe? If so, would you be willing to post a few alternate views of the model so we can see the back side?

* For your production piece are you going for a molding tool or will you stick to rapid prototyping (3D printing)?

* The final piece will require the iPad dock correct? (I have one that I've never even taken from the box.)

*Can you detail a bit how you connected from iPad to amp and then to the stock wiring harness?

Thanks and kudos for your creativity!

Mitch
The side tabs are very sturdy -- they are actually a separate piece secured in the back. The way the load gets transferred to them it takes a lot to break it.

I recently made a video of it in action and it's now with the distributor as they have video editors, etc. All of the details will be shown, but I'll post more pics when i get the chance. The vid will also detail how it hooks in.

It was made in Pro/Engineer.

Final product is injection molded abs/pc. That way it feels/ functions just like a stock bezel (including thermally). 3d printing is ONLY good for prototyping. There are just too many limitations to the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If you really are planning on selling these, are you planning on taking the impreza logo off?

Pretty sure Subaru wouldn't be all that keen with you using one of their logos.
This was something I spent 2 days researching, both with Subaru USA and with the USPTO. They do not hold a patent or copyright on that design. It is now existing prior art. If you know differently, PLEASE let me know ASAP. It would be a tool-safe change anyway, as far as the injection mold is concerned.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #89
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Missed a few of SonicWRXs questions.

It handles bumps very well. There are foam pieces behind the retainer tabs and filling the cosmetic area, forming a press fit. As long as you attach the HVAC it is pretty much not undocking unless you want it to. I'm making a mod in this next (final) rev that adds 2 more screws but completely ensures that there is no undocking.

Unfortunately, I can't go lower. As it is, I have less than .050" clearance between the top of the HVAC and the bottom of the dock. This is pretty much an optimized solution given the space restraints of the Impreza.

View of the clock cluster is not affected at all. If the pics show it that way, it's just from the angle they were taken. The vid should show it much better. It's really quite sexy installed.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #90
c0rehax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197363
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: pg 831
Default

now i know this might be tough to do but i will try and find the post somewhere but there was also another person here or on iwsti who was do something similar to this and what he did was remove the hvac controls and relpaced them with a spot that looked oem to place 3 60mm gagues angled toward the driver.. now the reason that i mention this is going back to sonic wrx's question of the ability of lowering it a lil bit so the ipad doesnt stick out.. i can see that the clearance is a issue but if the hvac's were moved would there be the ability to lower it..?
c0rehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #91
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rehax View Post
now i know this might be tough to do but i will try and find the post somewhere but there was also another person here or on iwsti who was do something similar to this and what he did was remove the hvac controls and relpaced them with a spot that looked oem to place 3 60mm gagues angled toward the driver.. now the reason that i mention this is going back to sonic wrx's question of the ability of lowering it a lil bit so the ipad doesnt stick out.. i can see that the clearance is a issue but if the hvac's were moved would there be the ability to lower it..?
Yeah that was me

And yes, you would be able to lower it if the HVAC was moved. As that thread evolved, I realized I couldn't reasonably move the HVAC without making it a gigantic pain in the ass to a) relocate and b) use while driving.

I still have the CAD model for that, though.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #92
Uncanny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133012
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

From one engineer to another, a couple of notes:
1. Why on earth would you ever use Pro-E? (Rhetorical)
2. Presuming you're using the two mounting screws on the lower portion of the kit, are you using any type of threaded fastener on the top of the kit to hold it in, or are you just utilizing the factory style compression clips?
3. For ventilation, did you fab a vent adapter to re-route the airflow to those side vents?
4. For the back of the piece, maybe consider using a .020"-ish layer of felt or something similar to that in order to protect the back of the ipad
Uncanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #93
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
From one engineer to another, a couple of notes:
1. Why on earth would you ever use Pro-E? (Rhetorical)
Haha, I'll address it anyway. We both know that Pro-E and SolidWorks now are basically the exact same program. My opinion is still that SW has a bit of a "CAD for Kids" feel to it. At the end of the day, I have spent many many hours with Pro-E and can do just about anything very quickly and efficiently. Trying out SW, I feel like a monkey with 2 left hands.

From a business side, I can't believe how many people are going with SW. It's very simple: PRO-ENGINEER IS CHEAPER. $1000 cheaper on the up-front cost, $300/yr cheaper on the maintenance contract. Do some businesses hate money?

All of the shops I work with prefer to take files as .stl and .iges, so it really doesn't matter what you use to generate them.

Quote:
2. Presuming you're using the two mounting screws on the lower portion of the kit, are you using any type of threaded fastener on the top of the kit to hold it in, or are you just utilizing the factory style compression clips?
Factory style clips. They've been working great. I increased the angle a little bit (on the "vent" half) so that there's almost a compression fit when it's in there. The white compression clips on the top tabs do a great job of holding it all together, and the snap tabs do their part quite well also.

Quote:
3. For ventilation, did you fab a vent adapter to re-route the airflow to those side vents?
I had plans to do this, but wanted to see how the airflow went if it was just free. Honestly, it works fine without an additional adapter, however you do lose a good amount of airflow from the vents, as a portion of it now is directed downwards rather than outwards.

At the moment I have no plans on making an actual adapter. I am much more likely to block off the center vent feed, which would just ramp up airflow out of the others. Personally, I'm more of a "defroster" airflow guy. I don't like it blowing right in my face, but I know some do.

Quote:
4. For the back of the piece, maybe consider using a .020"-ish layer of felt or something similar to that in order to protect the back of the ipad
[/quote]

In the next pics I'll put up (I'm on travel right now so I don't have total access) you'll see what I did. The cosmetic "i" logo is actually countersunk .020" and I have a die-cutting shop making me a .060" adhesive foam logo that fits right in. The same foam also will go on the back sides of the retainer tabs. I hand cut one out and fit it in fine... the iPad rests on that, never actually hitting the bezel. It was designed so that the iPad would have a .010" compression fit on both of the foam pieces (logo + retainer tabs) which has functioned as planned thus far.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #94
SonicWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24464
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnasti
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi (SWP)
Surgeline Tuned

Default

Showed the dash piece shots to a friend yesterday and he had a very interesting idea which I thought I would share here. I think many of us when looking at jr4284's excellent prototype think about the potential for easy theft and dislike the idea of having to constantly take the iPad in and out of the car.

What if the dash piece was designed to totally enclose the iPad around its bezel? It would be hinged at the bottom to allow the top to pop out an inch or so. You could then slide the iPad in and push the dash back in. The pop out mechanism could be secured with a lock.

Advantages:

* Even more built-in look
* Setback could offer shrouding to remove glare
* Lockable, but still easy to remove

Disadvantages:

* More complex so more expensive
* A determined thief will still get the iPad and tear up your dash

On the Pro-E discussion, I was wondering the same thing (as another engineer in this mix). My department has 14 seats of SW in various flavors and yes it is expensive, but more and more that's what our clients are requesting. Can't remember getting a request for Pro-E; Solid Edge maybe, but not Pro-E.

As a consumer in this discussion, I don't give a damn what it's designed in. Hand carve it out of clay for all I care. I'll be here to buy one when you get it finished. More power to you sir!
SonicWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #95
Uncanny
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 133012
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

The last time i really used Pro-E was wildfire 2.0/3.0, and it was just slower than death. File/networking management is a bear, too. Solidworks is great for simplicity, and generally good enough for modeling just about anything. Sheetmetal in SW is a snap, and any of the Cosmos/Flow packages are really useful, and generally alot easier to integrate FEA/CFD than trying to use Ansys/Workbench
Uncanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #96
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicWRX View Post
Showed the dash piece shots to a friend yesterday and he had a very interesting idea which I thought I would share here. I think many of us when looking at jr4284's excellent prototype think about the potential for easy theft and dislike the idea of having to constantly take the iPad in and out of the car.

What if the dash piece was designed to totally enclose the iPad around its bezel? It would be hinged at the bottom to allow the top to pop out an inch or so. You could then slide the iPad in and push the dash back in. The pop out mechanism could be secured with a lock.

Advantages:

* Even more built-in look
* Setback could offer shrouding to remove glare
* Lockable, but still easy to remove

Disadvantages:

* More complex so more expensive
* A determined thief will still get the iPad and tear up your dash

On the Pro-E discussion, I was wondering the same thing (as another engineer in this mix). My department has 14 seats of SW in various flavors and yes it is expensive, but more and more that's what our clients are requesting. Can't remember getting a request for Pro-E; Solid Edge maybe, but not Pro-E.

As a consumer in this discussion, I don't give a damn what it's designed in. Hand carve it out of clay for all I care. I'll be here to buy one when you get it finished. More power to you sir!
Thanks for all the ideas! I'm having a little difficulty visualizing what you're talking about. Well, I think I know what you're saying, but you're talking about a design that needs more room. If we removed the HVAC, then yeah, we could get it all the way down and enclosed. If that were the case, I'd simply make press-snap tabs on all 4 sides (think, press-to-open gas door mechanism thingies). You put your iPad in, press back, it snaps and locks in, press it in again (more than just a finger touch, obviously) and it'd pop out. Sexy. However, with the HVAC in there, we extend up and over the bezel into the dash area. So your idea would require a lip that sticks out, and that crosses my threshold of what looks OEM. I haven't looked into how much tilt would be required to make it fit, but my gut says that the internals would start interfering before we're tilted enough.

Keep the ideas comin' though. The '08-current bezel is next on the to-do list (granted I'm not 100% done with this one) and I haven't fully investigated the limitations of that bezel area. I am psyched that the 08-current bezel is shared on the Imprez / WRX / STi and the Forester too!

P.S. if anyone's good at Photoshop and wants to try to make something they think would be cool, visual input is always .
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #97
jr4284
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 192336
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Statistics don't lie... I do.
Vehicle:
2006 STiPad
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
The last time i really used Pro-E was wildfire 2.0/3.0, and it was just slower than death. File/networking management is a bear, too. Solidworks is great for simplicity, and generally good enough for modeling just about anything. Sheetmetal in SW is a snap, and any of the Cosmos/Flow packages are really useful, and generally alot easier to integrate FEA/CFD than trying to use Ansys/Workbench
For the most part, this has been fixed. If you're doing a fill pattern of 10,000 vent holes, then sure, it's still gonna bog down on you, but the bezel regenerates in < 15 seconds and has ~500 features, most of which are more complex than extrudes (boundary blends, variable section sweeps, and solidifies FTW).

I have been very impressed with the FEA ability of SW. I haven't done too much in Pro/E with it as it's just not worth the $ at the moment.
jr4284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #98
b00st3d
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9891
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans, LA
Vehicle:
2014 IS350 F Sport
Ultra White

Default

Got my audison bit one in, waiting for this!
b00st3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #99
SonicWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 24464
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnasti
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STi (SWP)
Surgeline Tuned

Default

Jr4284: Essentially you have the idea. It would only need two catches (one at the top corners) or one centrally mounted at the top as the bottom would be hinged. I see what you're saying about having to make it look non-stock to keep the HVAC statically located.

Just a thought. Carry on...
SonicWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #100
jkurtonick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 99196
Join Date: Oct 2005
Vehicle:
2006 Subaru WRX STI
Russian Hammer

Default

I'm in! Sold.
jkurtonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.