Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #51
Yotsuya
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 935
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Vehicle:
Jack Soo Fan Club

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrenus View Post
Alright, Mr. Efficient. Get rid of your WRX and start riding a metal tube into the city every day.
I'd be nuts to drive my car downtown and pay for parking. I'd spend more in four days than a monthly rail pass, and that's before you factor in gas and time in traffic. Though honestly I prefer to bike when the weather's good.

Can't do any of that? Too bad you didn't think before you bought a house in BFE, sucker!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Yotsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #52
SubaruFan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35649
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT sdn
sand/gray

Default

Just for those who think this is nutz. SF daily parking runs $25 -$35 a day and has been for a long time.

I got a $100 ticket parked in my own driveway while upstairs getting my kid and her daycare stuff together.

I think cities will continue to add fee parking and as long as businesses have their own land and parking space they should be able to offer free parking to their customers. Having heavy fines and fees for people parking on their own property ie driveway is going a little too far.

As for public transit my wife and I have bought our second home since getting married both have been 100% determined by public transit access. Working in down town LA - SF etc and not placing your public transit options vs housing location as a high priority is simply not smart and financially irresponsible. Granted LA has **** for public transit but everyone knows that and LA is trying to find a way to fix the issue given its not going to get any better by ignoring it.

Also an interesting study on who takes public transit might be interesting. On my wifes route its pretty interesting all types take it! I'm talking minimum wage earners to 1mill+ earners. Why you may ask? Simple it costs less - is easy - is faster than sitting in traffic and the big biz folks actually work during the commute. All of which you don't have driving your own car.
SubaruFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #53
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainnamor View Post
I was just setting the record straight. Cars are not efficient.

I don't think that driving for fun is bad and whatever pollution coming from my tailpipe does not concern me on a daily basis. I am also not worried about the world running out of oil any time in the near future. I am sure California hates me but I'm over it.
I am with you. I plan to burn the most oil I can as fast as I can. I work 8 miles from home and drive my car there enthusiastically each way. I really pitty people who have to take public transportation to work. Really, I feel so bad for you. Being forced to go only where the bus/train takes you. You have to live on their schedule. You have no control over your own schedule.

Really its sad. Every day my wife has been late to work or late getting home is because of public transportation. Sing its praises all you want, but for most Americans, it is not a viable option. Lots of us do not like living like rats in a city. I LOVE ME SOME BURBS!!!
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #54
SubaruFan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35649
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT sdn
sand/gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
I am with you. I plan to burn the most oil I can as fast as I can. I work 8 miles from home and drive my car there enthusiastically each way. I really pitty people who have to take public transportation to work. Really, I feel so bad for you. Being forced to go only where the bus/train takes you. You have to live on their schedule. You have no control over your own schedule.

Really its sad. Every day my wife has been late to work or late getting home is because of public transportation. Sing its praises all you want, but for most Americans, it is not a viable option. Lots of us do not like living like rats in a city. I LOVE ME SOME BURBS!!!
I moved to the burbs wife has a 45 minute public transit ride to work down town SF.
You don't get any more burb than where we are. Cows on the hill behind the house across the street. A creek with deer in it in my back yard. Less than 1/2 mile from the house we have redwoods and a country road thats not even on some road maps.

And for the record in SF we lived in 1400 sqft place with a nice back yard and garage with a full laundry room in the house, next to the Golden Gate Park. Her commute was 45 minutes then too. I wouldn't call that living like a rat but when you have never lived in a good city - in a great neighborhood you have nothing to compare your experience with.

Only difference for me is that I now have 2500sqft to live in a 1/2 acer lot with a pool and no good sushi bar or any food for that matter which I can walk to in 10 minutes. My place in the city Russian - Thai - Japanese - Chinese - American - Italian - Mexican food all that are some of the best you could find 10 minute walk from my front door. Out door stuff - GG park mt biking - hiking - events - free concerts. 10 minute drive to the Marin Headlands over the GG bridge even better hiking and biking action. Thats not living like a rat. It's living the American dream.
SubaruFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #55
JC
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 692
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Pontiac GTO M6
Triumph Street Triple R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFan View Post
Granted LA has **** for public transit but everyone knows that and LA is trying to find a way to fix the issue given its not going to get any better by ignoring it.
LA has a $208 million budget shortfall. Improved public transportation isn't on the docket anytime soon.
JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #56
SubaruFan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35649
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT sdn
sand/gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
LA has a $208 million budget shortfall. Improved public transportation isn't on the docket anytime soon.
Exactly why CA and cities are looking for ways to generate money and to make public transit cost more attractive. Change the balance of cost transit vs car you earn some money and make public transit more attractive.
SubaruFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #57
Eyeflyistheeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69694
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My personal hell
Vehicle:
2014 EuroPinto 5MT

Default

Screw the state legislature.

And while I'm a loyal Democrat at the Presidential level and about 75% on a federal/gubernatorial level, I always vote Republican in citywide elections, even though they stand no chance in hell of winning, just because of stupid stunts like that.
Eyeflyistheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #58
Eyeflyistheeye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69694
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My personal hell
Vehicle:
2014 EuroPinto 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinkid View Post
This is wonderful news. Will work very well in sunny warm California. More people getting exercise and being healthy, fewer fat people in California. Also, you can't haul as many groceries on a bicycle, so they will eat less. Health insurance premiums will go down. I'm surprised Arnold dodn't think of this earlier.
I hope you're being sarcastic, if not, mind your own business seeing you don't live here and don't know what's going on
Eyeflyistheeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #59
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinkid View Post
This is wonderful news. Will work very well in sunny warm California. More people getting exercise and being healthy, fewer fat people in California. Also, you can't haul as many groceries on a bicycle, so they will eat less. Health insurance premiums will go down. I'm surprised Arnold dodn't think of this earlier.
Do a search for 'bicycle trailer' and reconsider your statement.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #60
Yotsuya
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 935
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Vehicle:
Jack Soo Fan Club

Default

There's a messenger service across the street that uses five foot long trailers towed behind a single speed. They're only about a foot and a half wide but are usually loaded with some large paper boxes.

Still easier to get around town than a car, and the ground's level.
Yotsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #61
design1stcode2nd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112178
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default

So when do they start charging you to breathe, I may one day visit CA but I'd never live there. Let's see, earthquakes, wild fires, mudslides, high taxation and smog combined with crazy high home prices. Yep sounds like a wonderful place...

And you never get to have any fun in the snow, no sledding for the kids, snowball fights, snow angels, sad actually.
design1stcode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #62
JC
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 692
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Pontiac GTO M6
Triumph Street Triple R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post
And you never get to have any fun in the snow, no sledding for the kids, snowball fights, snow angels, sad actually.
Uh, really?

JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #63
peteh82
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146878
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
1996 Impreza Outback
Blue

Default

IMO, this is just a way to shorten the gap of the budget deficit and raise money. Whole idea is of encouraging public transportation sounds BS to me and sugar coating it. CA is desperate for money.
peteh82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #64
design1stcode2nd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112178
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Uh, really?

I tend to forget about northern California, Thinking southern since it seems to get all the attention. They should really be two different states IMO.
design1stcode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #65
Yotsuya
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 935
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Vehicle:
Jack Soo Fan Club

Default

So long as SF and Monterrey are in the northern part I'll agree with you.

Driving across on 80 everything feels different when you get to Calilfornia. Maybe it's just all the emptiness and desolation of Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada gets you down, but crossing through the agricultural inspection station at sundown knowing you'll be able to get an off season room in Tahoe and cruising along in the mountains is just exhilarating. I lived in Colorado and while I like it you don't get the same feeling. Then you get to the coast and it's just freaking wonderful.

Then there was the conference I went to in Anaheim, with some trips to Newport Beach. Definitely not the same magic.
Yotsuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #66
pete_falcone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 123330
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Apalit
Vehicle:
13 Villena, 02 CVC
747 Philippine Airlines

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
I am with you. I plan to burn the most oil I can as fast as I can. I work 8 miles from home and drive my car there enthusiastically each way. I really pitty people who have to take public transportation to work. Really, I feel so bad for you. Being forced to go only where the bus/train takes you. You have to live on their schedule. You have no control over your own schedule.

Really its sad. Every day my wife has been late to work or late getting home is because of public transportation. Sing its praises all you want, but for most Americans, it is not a viable option. Lots of us do not like living like rats in a city. I LOVE ME SOME BURBS!!!
Some of us take public transportation for other reasons. My co-worker and I take the train because we both have heart conditions. The frustration of dealing with SoCal gridlock raises our blood pressure. Since taking the train, not only do we save hundreds of dollars in parking, gas, and wear-n-tear, but we feel better with the extra sleep.

As for this rule having any shot here in SoCal, I highly doubt it. The car has become firmly ingrained in the culture; it's a status symbol that Los Angelenos can't seem to live without. Unlike New York, where PT is a way of life and folks can live out complete lives having never owned a driver's license, PT here in Los Angeles is seen as transportation for the destitute.
pete_falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #67
Mopho
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32334
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Suitcase-my stuff lives in LA
Vehicle:
05 Outback
Caterham 7 Superlight R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post
So when do they start charging you to breathe, I may one day visit CA but I'd never live there. Let's see, earthquakes, wild fires, mudslides, high taxation and smog combined with crazy high home prices. Yep sounds like a wonderful place...

And you never get to have any fun in the snow, no sledding for the kids, snowball fights, snow angels, sad actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post
I tend to forget about northern California, Thinking southern since it seems to get all the attention. They should really be two different states IMO.


One only needs to drive about 30 miles from Los Angeles to be up your waste in snow right now

And having lived in the northeast for over 30 years, I have not felt the need to go visit the snow, don't miss it at all.
Much prefer year round riding my bicycle along the beach, driving my open top sports car on some of the best canyon roads in the county, and the hundreds of other things I can do when I am not stuck inside trying to stay warm. Not sad at all actually

Perhaps you shouldn't speak to things you don't really know about
Mopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #68
Mopho
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32334
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Suitcase-my stuff lives in LA
Vehicle:
05 Outback
Caterham 7 Superlight R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
LA has a $208 million budget shortfall. Improved public transportation isn't on the docket anytime soon.

Actually, there is a train system being built currently. A station and tracks is being constructed about a mile from my house
Mopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #69
pete_falcone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 123330
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Apalit
Vehicle:
13 Villena, 02 CVC
747 Philippine Airlines

Default

If that's a Metrolink expansion, that thing won't be going live anytime soon. Metrolink is hurting for money and very few riders support the fare hikes they've been trying to push recently.
pete_falcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #70
JC
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 692
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Pontiac GTO M6
Triumph Street Triple R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopho View Post
One only needs to drive about 30 miles from Los Angeles to be up your waste in snow right now
You forget to mention that it takes 4 hours to drive that 30 miles to be up to your waist in snow.
JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #71
Mopho
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32334
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Suitcase-my stuff lives in LA
Vehicle:
05 Outback
Caterham 7 Superlight R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_falcone View Post
If that's a Metrolink expansion, that thing won't be going live anytime soon. Metrolink is hurting for money and very few riders support the fare hikes they've been trying to push recently.
These things don't pop up overnight.
Point being it is being built, I see them working on it every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
You forget to mention that it takes 4 hours to drive that 30 miles to be up to your waist in snow.

Only if you go during rush hour, the rest of the time it takes about an hour

Just the other day my friend spent the morning with his kid playing in the snow and was at my place by lunch
Mopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #72
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Just outside of Houston TX
Vehicle:
2013 F150 King Ranch
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFan View Post
I moved to the burbs wife has a 45 minute public transit ride to work down town SF.
You don't get any more burb than where we are. Cows on the hill behind the house across the street. A creek with deer in it in my back yard. Less than 1/2 mile from the house we have redwoods and a country road thats not even on some road maps.

And for the record in SF we lived in 1400 sqft place with a nice back yard and garage with a full laundry room in the house, next to the Golden Gate Park. Her commute was 45 minutes then too. I wouldn't call that living like a rat but when you have never lived in a good city - in a great neighborhood you have nothing to compare your experience with.

Only difference for me is that I now have 2500sqft to live in a 1/2 acer lot with a pool and no good sushi bar or any food for that matter which I can walk to in 10 minutes. My place in the city Russian - Thai - Japanese - Chinese - American - Italian - Mexican food all that are some of the best you could find 10 minute walk from my front door. Out door stuff - GG park mt biking - hiking - events - free concerts. 10 minute drive to the Marin Headlands over the GG bridge even better hiking and biking action. Thats not living like a rat. It's living the American dream.

Also SubaruFan, you will admit that your example is very isolated to SF, and the price of a house like that near GG park in SF would be astonishing. You seem to be implying that have never lived in a great city. Guess your definition of great is different than mine. I live in Houston, well the burbs of Houston, what I consider a great city. In the city a house like mine would either not exist, or would cost 6 figures easy.

Just to clarify, I was not clear on my rats comment. I person can buy a respectable house for 200000 bucks in most parts of the country except in major population areas, namely large urban cities. Take that 200000 dollars that will buy you a 2300 sq ft -ish house in most places and try to buy a place in the heart of the city. You will usually be in a 500 sq ft apartment, in a sketchy part of town. Generally speaking. You get more for your money outside of the city than in it. If you value things like space, quiet, low crime, low congestion, better schools, etc.

Keep in mind I am talking subburbs, not Rural farmland.

With that said, it is a choice. Some people's definition of quality of life varies differently form mine. I like owning properly, having a moderately large yard, 3 car garage, plenty of room in my house, nice neighbors, low crime, and parks and pools within walking distances.

I do not understand why anybody would want otherwise, but to each their own.

Last edited by SCRAPPYDO; 02-05-2010 at 01:16 PM.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #73
sxotty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95600
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
With that said, it is a choice. Some people's definition of quality of life varies differently form mine. I like owning properly, having a moderately large yard, 3 car garage, plenty of room in my house, nice neighbors, low crime, and parks and pools within walking distances.

I do not understand why anybody would want otherwise, but to each their own.
You do realize those last ones are quite likely in a city as well right? I live in a city and all of those apply. My house is plenty big enough I think, but I do severely miss a garage. I guess in the 1920s they (garages) were not so common.

And btw I don't disagree with you on the whole, but I like where I live every much as well as the burbs, but on the whole I would rather live out in the boondocks with a bunch of land myself
sxotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #74
Dex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 163775
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ceti Debent
Vehicle:
2014 Ford Party ST
Dudebro red

Default

Dammit. If the weather in San Diego wasn't awesome 24/7, I'd move. Oh and the physically fit girls.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #75
SubaruFan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35649
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT sdn
sand/gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Also SubaruFan, you will admit that your example is very isolated to SF, and the price of a house like that near GG park in SF would be astonishing. You seem to be implying that have never lived in a great city. Guess your definition of great is different than mine. I live in Houston, well the burbs of Houston, what I consider a great city. In the city a house like mine would either not exist, or would cost 6 figures easy.

Just to clarify, I was not clear on my rats comment. I person can buy a respectable house for 200000 bucks in most parts of the country except in major population areas, namely large urban cities. Take that 200000 dollars that will buy you a 2300 sq ft -ish house in most places and try to buy a place in the heart of the city. You will usually be in a 500 sq ft apartment, in a sketchy part of town. Generally speaking. You get more for your money outside of the city than in it. If you value things like space, quiet, low crime, low congestion, better schools, etc.

Keep in mind I am talking subburbs, not Rural farmland.

With that said, it is a choice. Some people's definition of quality of life varies differently form mine. I like owning properly, having a moderately large yard, 3 car garage, plenty of room in my house, nice neighbors, low crime, and parks and pools within walking distances.

I do not understand why anybody would want otherwise, but to each their own.

Of course if you have never lived here you would never know whats true and not. We paid little over 500K for our place in SF next the GG park. Its worth near 700+ right now after 9yrs. Thats cheap beans for the Bay Area and any good location in LA - or even Seattle for that matter.

Houston is a great city though one in which you can live miles and miles from down town and still say you live in Houston. SF is 8 miles square you can walk it in 2 hrs end to end. Only city on the west coast as compact is Seattle both are land locked and have no space to sprawl.

200K will get you a nice tract house in Henderson NV or in a central valley city like Stockton Ca but then your no where near anything either. I'm fully willing to move into a small place in a really nice location if I'm ever forced to make that decision. A 2000+ sqft place isn't the only reason to live some place.

As for low crime - nice neighbors - 3 car garage large yard etc. Had all that in SF - only thing I gained in the burbs is a good public school it was smarter to put the money in a house vs spend $25,000 a year on private school per child.
SubaruFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petition to Eliminate Front Plates in Ohio SonicWRX Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 5 11-12-2009 12:00 AM
In attempt to break the record.... Dena North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 23 09-07-2008 01:02 AM
Dr. Kills self in attempt to stop WAPCE psychoskip Off-Topic 23 07-17-2006 04:29 AM
best path to eliminate turbo lag in a stock 2 liter WRX? alacrity024 Off-Topic 116 05-01-2006 10:26 AM
Petiton to eliminate front plate in TX! bbaker Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 1 04-14-2004 03:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.