Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 361338
Default trans mainshaft seal leaking? or bad crank seal?

Dropped the trans in my 03 wrx today. Inside the bell housing on the trans itself, there is oil slung all over inside the housing. Not sure if is engine oil or gear oil as once the clutch dust mixes, any fluid would turn black I'd think... So.. I left the clutch assembly on the engine and was just going to slide my new trans back through and bolt it to the engine.
My clutch never slipped or smelt like oil burning or anything like that.
Should I unbolt the clutch and flywheel and get a better look at the crank seal? Are they known for leaking? Is the trans shaft seal prone to leaking?Going back at it in the morning. Please help!! Any tips are great too!
Go easy on me as this is my first time dealing with a trans or any trans related parts. Going smoothly so far, just taking my time, trying to do it right.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subarod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
amiexploited
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 251061
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

did it have and hesitation once you were letting go of the clutch in 1st?

My input shaft seal blew on my trans (02 wrx) and it was leaking from there and it would drip down to where the drain bolt was.

The clutch was saturated which was causing my hesistation (vibration) when letting off the clutch ~too early~.

Tranny had to be split to replace the seal. I got all new bearings (and a new center diff..don't ask)

Good luck
amiexploited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiexploited View Post
did it have and hesitation once you were letting go of the clutch in 1st?

My input shaft seal blew on my trans (02 wrx) and it was leaking from there and it would drip down to where the drain bolt was.

The clutch was saturated which was causing my hesistation (vibration) when letting off the clutch ~too early~.

Tranny had to be split to replace the seal. I got all new bearings (and a new center diff..don't ask)

Good luck
Never really slipped or anything. Always seemed to operate fine. I disassembled the clutch and flywheel, luckly was able to get a new crank seal locally, swapped it out and the bolted the flywheel up. Don't have much knowledge here, but it has a dual clutch plate, and a yellow pressure plate. Couldnt find a brand name on it, does the yellow pressure plate give it away as to what brand?
I also could NOT find a clutch alignment tool anywhere locally. I literally eyeballed it just staring at it and adjusting in as needed.
Then pushed the trans on and it was perfect. Nice smooth fit, then bolted the bell housing.
Ran out of time today, going for the finish tomm.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
amiexploited
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 251061
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

So you can't visually see any leaks from the transmission? Gear oil and engine oil smell very differently. If the rear main seal was leaking and your changed it (correctly) you should be fine.
Yellow pressure plate could possibly be ACT
amiexploited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
So you can't visually see any leaks from the transmission? Gear oil and engine oil smell very differently. If the rear main seal was leaking and your changed it (correctly) you should be fine.
After removing the flywheel, I replaced the crank seal and reinstalled flywheel and clutch. Didn't have an alignment tool, so I literally eyeballed it. Trans went on smooth. Got it all wrapped up today. Smooth as butter, and very positive gear changes into all gears. Clutch seems to be working smoother than before. Runs great!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
subarod01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
After removing the flywheel, I replaced the crank seal and reinstalled flywheel and clutch. Didn't have an alignment tool, so I literally eyeballed it. Trans went on smooth. Got it all wrapped up today. Smooth as butter, and very positive gear changes into all gears. Clutch seems to be working smoother than before. Runs great!