|02-15-2010, 11:46 PM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fairfield County, ConnecticutVehicle:
2004 VF22 WRX hybrid
JBP 306 whp 366wtq
Need help!! Car wont start!! 1997 subaru legacy 2.5 GT
I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy Gt and i bought the car not to long ago. I dont know to much about the car but the guy before me told me he had put a new motor in the car which i later found out wasnt the original 2.5 liter motor but a 2.2 liter instead now idk if theres a difference in the ECU's on the car but let me break down a list of the symptoms the car had before the breaking down and after.
- Car had the engine light on when i bought it. I scanned it before i bought it and i found the light to be on for a speed sensor a misfire on all 4 cylinders and a engine light for a front oxygen sensor (circuit low)
- I fixed the speed sensor because i couldnt deal with anymore speding tickets on my record.
- Last week i put a front oxygen sensor in the car (for a 2.2l) and before that i just drove with it unplugged for a good month or so because the car ran all sorts of funky (bogging and like sputtering)
- after i replaced the oxygen sensor i noticed it ran okay but it would intermittently feel like it was fuelcutting while i was driving under a light load almost at a coast.
- So i went to go pick up take out on Valentines day and i noticed as i was driving it was cutting out and sputtering a little more then usual but i didnt think anything of it just thinking it was a misfire.
- Then when i got to the resturant and parked it i went to go turn the key and befiore i did the car died. not like a sputtering die like a just shut off die all at once. almost as if i had turned the key.
- I figured it was the fuel pump because i turned it over alot and checked to see how the exhaust smelt and there wasnt any gas smell what so ever.
- I had it towed to my work (pep boys) today and i igured out it has to spark coming from the coil pack but there was a signal at the connector so i replaced the coil. still nothing.
- I then went to check if there were any new codes and i plugged in the DLC and there wasnt any power to it and if i remember correctly there werent any dash lights.
- the car turns over very strong and ran rather well for a while and now it wont even think about starting as i turn it over.
Any input on this would be appreciated as i need to get this car back on the road tomorrow because i cant afford to break out the race car in the middle of winter. Please any input would be helpful. Thank you for your time and if you have any questions at all please feel free to shoot.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|02-16-2010, 12:20 PM||#2|
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Connecticut USAVehicle:
1998 2.5RS BlkDmdPrl
2000 2.5RS SilverthornMet
Spark...you said you have this, right?
Fuel...do you hear the pump prime when you turn the key on? I dont know if the 2.2 has a schrader valve on a fuel rail but this is the ideal place to check fuel pressure if it does.
Air...this shouldnt be a problem unless your airbox has a critter living in it.
Check all the basics first. Rule out the easy stuff. Then...
Check your grounds. Make sure the engine grounds are good, the fuel pump and sending unit grounds, ECU ground to chassis...
Check your plugs...if you ran without an O2 sensor, the plugs could be fouled- up bad do to the computer reverting to a "safe" rich condition--(O2 code, misfire code.)
Check the timing belt...it could have jumped a tooth or it could have broken--(misfire code).
Just my 2 cents,
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|FS- AZ 1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT *must see*||FATgc8||Private Vehicle 'For Sale' Classifieds||8||04-26-2009 07:38 PM|
|WTB: 1997-1999 Legacy 2.5 GT 5MT ECU||winston856||Private 'Wanted' Classifieds||4||11-08-2008 08:07 PM|
|1997 SUBARU LEGACY 2.5 GT 5 speed (MIDNIGHT BLUE) FOR SALE $4300||gagegregory||Legacy Specific Parts||6||01-13-2008 03:05 PM|
|1997 subaru legacy 2.5 gt?||dracatero||Subaru Conversions||3||12-03-2007 08:36 PM|
|NEED HELP! car wont start after deck installation!||yeng||Car Audio, Video & Security||7||04-28-2003 06:53 PM|