Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid West Subaru Owners Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-29-2002, 11:18 AM   #1
lamron

Member#:
Default Good tranny shops in StL? (including Subie dealers)

It appears that I'm one of the fortunate not-so-few Subie owners suffering from ****ty transmissions.

In the last week I started noticing my 5th gear started popping out during periods of off/on throttle, cruising then coasting in 5th gear. After searching I found out that theres a TSB for this problem, something about the main nut not coming from the factory with the proper torque specs and coming loose eventually. Anyway, I want to get this repaired ASAP but have never had to have any transmission work done on any car I've ever owned so I don't know of any good shops around, nor which Subie dealers are reputable.

Anyone know of any reputuable transmissions shops that do good work, or any Subaru dealerships that are reputable for good work in St. Louis? While cost is a concern I'd rather spend the money and get it done right the first time than having to get it down twice. I feel that the dealer would be best to handle this as I'm sure they're aware of the problem.

EDIT: I just found out that Lou Fusz has a 10% AAA discount (of which I'm a member) on parts/labor for in-house repairs, is Lou Fusz a good dealership? I've been there once and didn't care for their Subaru salesmen but obviously this doesn't speak for their mechanics. Are they a good place to go to?

Thanks
Jay
*kicking my own ass for not finding the money for that extended warranty*
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:54 PM   #2
lamron

Member#:

I talked to a guy named Brian at the Lou Fusz Subaru service dept., he said he thinks that the transmission should be covered under the 60K powertrain warranty, he's going to check for me. I asked him if while they're repairing the tranny they could swap in a new clutch (might as well since it'll be apart) and he said it'd probably just cost me an extra half-hour labor.

So I'm on the hunt for a replacement, I'm not really interested in a much stronger clutch as I only have an air intake and the only other mod I'm considering is a 2.25" cat-back exhaust. I saw that SPO offers just a clutch disc, that is designed to be used with the factory pressure plate, would it be a feasible option to get their clutch disc and buy an OEM PP and TO bearing?

Are there any other good resources for OEM clutches? Like I said, I'm not really that interested in a stronger clutch.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:33 AM   #3
hyedracyl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15422
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
White

Performance Automotive down in south STL is a good shop. If you don't need anything (or something cheap) they'll tell you and save you cash - something that's uncommon amongst transmission shops...
hyedracyl is offline   Reply With Quote