Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > Vendor Announcements

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (43)

Member#: 67958
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Default Innovative Tuning Blog - builds, dyno graphs, and more.

I started a blog a few weeks ago which I'm going to mirror here. Admittedly I fell behind on it, and left a bunch of stuff out to help me catch back up, but I'm doing my best. This time of year there's just so much going on here that it's hard to keep up.

I've never blogged, facebooked, tweeted, or anything of that nature so bare with me. I'll do my best to post a little blurb about what's going on at Innovative Tuning every few days including dyno results, repairs performed, ongoing builds, new parts, fabrication, hopefully some funny anecdotes and more. A lot of people know us, but may not know the full scope of what we do here and I rarely find time to post build pics or updates of any kind so that hasn't helped. We generally have about 20 cars at the shop at a time so there's a lot going on here and I'll do my best to keep up!

I'll start with 3/10/10:
We started a MKIV 2JZ powered Supra up on a new engine for the first time. After about 5 years of track days at Watkins Glen and other road courses, the engine had crankwalked pretty badly. Amazingly the engine still ran and made over 500 whp. Compression and leakdown were OK too, but the engine was simply warn out. On teardown we found the thrust washers were completely missing and the crank and one of the main caps were eating each other up when the crank walked.

Here's a video of the play on the crank from when we diagnosed the issue:
http://innovativetuningdl.com/video/mikeHayesCrank.mp4

Here's a shot of the engine bay after first startup. We still have cleanup and buttoning up to do.

More on this Supra later when we button it up...

We had sent the PC that controls our dyno back to Mustang because the database got corrupted somehow. We got that back yesterday and it's fixed up and no run files were lost. Among other things I learned that our dyno has been reading lower than it should have, even for a Mustang dyno because of a few settings that were incorrect. This will affect 2WD very little, but AWD a bit more. I'll check that out today when I dyno tune a few cars.

We removed the intake manifold etc. on a 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B to install upgraded fuel rails and an STI fuel pressure regulator in preparation for a retune on a car we've tuned before. This car previously made a ton of power for an FP Green turbo and now has Perrin headers and a Dom 3R turbo so we'll see what it can do on the rollers later today.

We replaced the transmission on a Honda Prelude which had suffered a differential failure causing it to pull hard to the left and was generally worn.

We also fired up Norm's 06 STI so he can check it out. This was a big buildup. More on this later...

3/11/10

Perry's LGT retune went well. The Dom3R with 10cm housing couldn't match the spoolup of the FP Green with 7cm housing, but it did make some extra horsepower.

While I was tuning our mechanics were tag teaming Darrell's 09 WRX.

They installed:
KS Tech 83mm CAI
GS 3 port boost control solenoid
DW 650cc injectors
Defi Red Racer boost gauge
turbo blanket
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.InnovativeTuning.com

Last edited by Innovative Tuning; 04-03-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Innovative Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

After installs:

The car already had a Perrin TMIC, GT Spec header, walbro pump, and upgraded turbo back exhaust.

After the installs we got the car on the dyno and I started tuning the new intake in. When I started getting into boost I noticed spool up was a bit lazy, but I thought it might just be the header with big primaries. Then I did a full pull and noticed both spool and power were lower than expected. It was getting late, but we stuck around to sort it out and we're glad we did because the power the car made in the end was great. We rigged up our smoke tester to the intake and found a hose off the turbo inlet was leaking heavily at a union fitting. After clamping the connection we retested the system and found no leaks. After hooking the intake back up I did a pull with no changes to the tune. Spoolup was better, the car picked up 40 ft/lbs of torque, and I had to cut the pull short because it was trending lean due to the change in airflow. After dialing it in, here was the result for the 93 octane pump gas tune:

Our mechanics also put an 07 STI turbo on an 04 WRX and will be finishing installing an APS TMIC and FIC injectors in the morning. Then it's going on the dyno.

3/15/10 - Tuning, Battery Relocation, Supra 2JZ teardown, etc.

We had a crew of visitors from Erie, PA yesterday. Thanks for stopping by guys and we'll see you soon for tuning!

With the VF43 turbo, APS TMIC, and 650cc injector installs complete, I began retuning Jon's 05 WRX. After fighting with it for a bit I've come to the conclusion that the used injectors provided are either gummed up because they weren't cleaned and have been sitting around, or the latency settings we were provided for them by the manufacturer are incorrect. He got them for free and wanted to give them a shot. I was able to get the car running pretty well, but I shouldn't have had to make some of the adjustments that ended up being required and I'm not happy with the throttle response under certain conditions. We're going to work with the manufacturer of the injectors today and see what we can figure out together.

The car also had an issue where the fuel pump was running continuously and randomly shutting off, making the car shut off. After testing the ECU output and wiring, we found that the stock fuel pump control unit was acting up. After replacing that part the pump primed and shut off normally and operated normally while the car was running with no issues.

In the meantime, the WOT tuning went smoothly so here are those results:

And here's a graph showing what he came in with and what he left with. The stock 07 STI turbo we put on only spools around 250 RPM later and as you can see it holds power and boost MUCH better up top, making the torque more linear and providing a WHP gain of around 50 at 6500 RPM.

While I was tuning the guys were hard at work as usual. Tom's 2JZ Supra engine was torn down. in preparation for a buildup to make more power in the future. We found the intake side of the head had coked oil residue in it while the exhaust side did not. It looks like the previous owner of the car let an oil change or several go way too long. The other side looked cleaner than usual and after inspection we found the head gasket had started to allow coolant and oil to mix. No big surprises were found to this point, but it looks like he picked a good time to tear this thing down.

Brian's STI has been sitting all winter. Now it's time to charge the battery up, get his new carbon fiber driveshaft in, clean it up, and put some miles on the new engine. More on this car and buildup to come...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

We're finishing up the work on Mike's 2JZ MKIV Supra. Battery relocation was one of the last steps. He wanted it positioned so the removable hardtop could still be stowed in the factory location in the trunk. We still need to tidy up the wires and clean things up.

And I got myself an oldy but goody. It's a 54" Matco bottom box with all ball bearing slides etc.

3/16/10 Finish battery relocation, gauge installs, turbo diagnose, etc.
The battery relocation on Mike's Supra was finished up. Everything is loomed, the ground is complete, the fuel tank access plate has been notched so it's no longer crushing the power feed to the fuel pump relay (not our install), and the wires are secure.

Boost, EGT, oil pressure and wideband gauges are going in Rob's 2G Eclsipe GSX as that build continues...

I started the engine run in on Brian's 04 STI.

We talked to FIC about the injector issue and they agreed that Jon's 650cc WRX injectors need to go in for cleaning and testing so they'll be coming out.

We diagnosed a turbo oil leak on Rich's STI. It turns out the turbo itself is internally damaged and the oil is leaking out of the center section, then seeping out between the turbo center section and exhaust housing. Time for another turbo... We discussed the Evo 3 16g as a more durable replacement for the stock turbo, a turbo inlet hose to replace his aging stock unit and some supporting mods.

AND...we did some spring cleaning which will continue here and there as we can spare a little time. I finally decided to let a bunch of my old junk go so the scrap pile is growing.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

3/17/10-3/20/10 - Newman's Skyline powered BMW and more...

Newman's labor of love was dropped off Thursday evening for us to start preparations for tuning. For those not familiar with his build, he's taken an E30 BMW and swapped in an RB26DETT Skyline GT-R engine, which he's modified including the installation of a GT35R single turbo setup and more.

When the car arrived we did the following:
compression and leakdown testing
tie wrap vacuum lines
remove headlight, smoke test intake system for boost leaks
remove compressor housing, seal, reinstall housing
Newman fought with a PITA balance tube leak and won
oil change and filter inspection
replace non functioning wideband o2 sensor
diagnose MAP sensor wiring issues
Newman fixed the wiring issues
start car and bleed coolant system
get car onto dyno and call it a night

The next day we:
wrapped and secured the new wideband sensor cable so it doesn't melt on the header
smoke tested the exhaust system for leaks
found leaks at some welds, at the v-bands, and at the muffler
Exhaust sealant was used on the v-bands. One is sealed now. The other one still leaks a little, but it's far enough back and nowhere near the wideband that it doesn't need to be fixed right now. It can be fixed off the dyno.
Newman got a clamp for the muffler which was just stuck in the exhaust pipe when it arrived and that took care of that leak for the most part.
We strapped the car down and I started the partial throttle tuning.

Saturday I came in ready to get the bulk of the remaining tuning done. The cold start, warmup, and hot start related corrections are all very close to dialed, idle is good, tip in is snappy, and I worked on partial throttle tuning. Newman made new ground connections for the ignition module, we put some fresh plugs in the car gapped down to ready to boost the car, but before we got a chance to we hit a snag.

Timing syncs and holds steady at idle, but as the RPM went up we started to notice some misfiring. At 4000 RPM and still at or less than 1 psi the misfiring was noticeable so we started to investigate. I found the AEM EMS was counting timing errors. We got the timing light back out, I locked the timing at 25 degrees and we performed a slow sweep in neutral, so the load was a low as possible, from 2000-4000 RPM. As the RPMs went up the timing remained at 25 degrees until we exceeded ~3300 RPM at which point timing advanced a huge amount and started bouncing around the 40-60 degree area getting worse as the RPMs went up. We let right off. Needless to say that's a serious problem.

I got my scope out and we set it up to record the crank and cam outputs from the Newman modified CAS (cam angle sensor). At idle the signal is very clean. Around the problem area, the signal deteriorates slightly, but that doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem. Please note these voltages represent actual voltage divided by two as we had a voltage divider in place between the sensors and the scope.

Idle (2 cycles shown):

idle zoomed in more:

Near 4000 RPM full cycles:

Near 4000 RPM zoomed in more:

Now that we see the proper 24 teeth with one sync per cycle we can move forward with the diagnosis. The wiring is fine, both signal outputs are functional and look pretty good so we'll contact AEM (the manufacturer of the engine management system on this car) Monday to discuss why the coils are being fired over 30 degrees too far advanced when this fault occurs.

In other news...
Engine run in continued on Brian's STI and we gave it a bath.

We started diagnosing Ray's Eclipse GS-T Wednesday. It was towed here with a myriad of electrical issues. The alarm wiring was interfering with some important engine control circuits, the alternator's voltage regulator was shot, fuses were blown etc. A new alternator is on the way and then we'll continue repairs on that car next week.

Aaron brought his 06 STI in for an ACT upgraded clutch kit install. After running a very aggressive stock turbo mapping for a while which generates a lot of torque, the stock clutch was spent. We had the stock flywheel resurfaced and reinstalled it along with the new clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bearing.

While his car was here we diagnosed a methanol injection kit flow sensor issue on his car. The turbine inside the sensor turned out to be jammed up so it's going back for warranty replacement and a new one will be fitted. We also found that the crack in his turbine housing is stretching, but it will be replaced with an upgraded unit soon, so it's not a big concern. A meth bung was also welded in a charge pipe in preparation for an upcoming front mount intercooler install.

We continued the spring cleaning and purchased more industrial shelving to make sure we have a big shelf available for each build we're working on to keep things organized.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

3/20/10-3/27/10

I've fallen a bit behind on the blog and I apologize. I'll try to catch back up.

Newman's BMW will be receiving a ViPec plug in standalone which is en route from Australia.

Adam from Z1 Auto on Long Island drove out for me to finish up the tuning on the latest incarnation of his NA 350Z.

Nico brought his 93 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan in for some dyno tweaking of the road tune I'd done for him.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

We upgraded Jay's 04 STI to stage 2 status including a custom road/dyno tune:

While his STI was here we performed his 30k service, installed some shifter bushings, and replaced a damaged CV axle.

Perry went over his work on his 2007 Legacy GT Spec B and found an uppipe leak, fixed it, brought the car back and we found a bypass valve leak which we probably never would have found without our pressure/smoke tester, and we replaced the BPV because the one that was on there wasn't sealing to the recirc. hose properly.

The result, about 100 RPM better spoolup than the FP Green despite being on a 10cm housing. The car also picks right back up after a shift which it didn't do before. All is well. I'm still a bit surprised this stock engine has put up with this power level for so long, but Perry isn't an abusive owner.

I tuned a customer built home made turbo setup on something a bit different...an auto tranny Acura TL. His upgraded injectors still maxed out at 5 psi so we had to keep the RPMs limited to 5100 until that's sorted ou.

We replaced the coil packs on Mike's MKIV Supra and it's purring like a kitten again.

Beven's STI is back for a custom fuel system we're making including -8 feed line, Aeromotive reglator, ID2000 injectors etc. It will enable him to run race gas on his heavily modified setup, and ethanol in the future if he chooses. We also installed some Corbeau racing seats, cam lock harnesses, and a Sparco harness bar.

Hector brought his new to him AP1 S2000 in to baseline it before modding:

Rich brought his 2010 LGT in for some tuning and will be coming back for us to continue that with some new alpha software from Cobb.

We diagnosed a major drivability issue on Nigel's supercharged Toyota Solara. His pop off actuator seems to have a torn diaphragm because it's leaking like a sieve, totally screwing up the MAF readings.

We started another STI engine build.

We diagnosed an error code on Spencer's WRX which occurred after a car accident and I checked on the tune while it was here. He's back in business.

Work continued on Rob's 2G DSM with new suspension parts, wheel bearings, calipers etc. going on.

We upgraded the ailing stock clutch in Aaron's 06 STI, put a modded IS300 back to stock so the owner can sell it, performed timing belt service on an Impreza, corner balanced a Civic, put upgraded mounts into and fixed a coolant issue on an AE86 Corolla, and more but you get the idea...the snow is gone and everyone is thinking about their car again.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Now to today 4/2/10

We put some Corbeau race seats/brackets/sliders, a Sparco harness bar, and 5 point cam locking harnesses in Beven's 05 STI:

We're building a custom fuel system for Beven's 05 STI including a Bosch motorsports pump, -8 stainless braided feed, conversion rails for 2200cc injectors, Aeromotive filter and regulator, etc.

Hector's S2000 clutch is in and we're starting to get the head off for an upgraded head gasket and studs.

Phil's STI is here for a rotated GT35R kit install some gauges etc. and it's coming along nicely.

Rob's 2G DSM progress continues. The new brakes and some of the new suspension parts are on. After being told a sway bar kit fit this car, it turns out it doesn't so we're sorting that out for Rob.

Travis's STI was here for tuning this morning. He mentioned the car has been running low boost so before we tuned the car we diagnosed that. Matt hooked up the smoke tester and quickly found a number of issues.

Here's one. The turbo to intercooler hose connection was leaking heavily:

After fixing that leak he smoke tested the exhaust system. He saw that both header to head gaskets were leaking, the header to uppipe gasket was leaking, and the slip joints in the header were leaking through his header wrap. Without the smoke tester you'd never know the slip joints were leaking because they were totally encased in header wrap. Unfortunately the header couldn't be fixed today because it's a unique aftermarket unit with a custom 3 bolt flange that you have to get a gasket for from the header/uppipe manufacturer. Once Travis gets the gasket (and an extra for the future), he'll bring it back so we can pull the header, undo the wrap, weld up the slip joints, and replace the gaskets. Then hopefully the car will be ready for the tuning he came in for.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Later in the day...

The guys continued on Beven's custom fuel system:

And Phil's installs. GT35R now in place with CAI, etc.

Jed's SRT-4 came in with a damaged exhaust. I didn't hear the details on how it got banged up, but he came bearing a new unit which we fitted up.

New exhaust fitted:

And now some turbo civic tuning. This car's alignment was horrendous so I did what I could to get it going for him. He's going to get the alignment fixed and come back so I can finish the tune at this boost level and then crank it up for more power.

I won't post a picture of his car so he can have some fun surprising people for a bit.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
nikiter
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 190942
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
JDM STi 6 Speed

Hey Mike. Saw the blog on TSC and I think you're doing a good job by posting this stuff. It lets more people know exactly of what kind of what you guys do. All the best to your shop.
I'm collecting parts and will be visiting you in the near future.
nikiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Sounds good thanks!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
jigga
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (16)

Member#: 9960
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRBlue Perl

Mike, did you guys figure out why Newman's EMS was counting the errors?
jigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

We believe it's an ECU issue. If the new ECU doesn't do it, then we'll know for sure. Now that I know you're awake I'm calling you.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
nikiter
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 190942
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
JDM STi 6 Speed

Mike what does a stock SRT-4 puts down on your dyno? (before you found the wrong setting on your dyno)
nikiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Sorry, but I don't know.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
jigga
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRBlue Perl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative Tuning View Post
Sorry, but I don't know.
Mike, please give me a shout
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Default 4/5/10-4/6/10

We hunted down the last of the boost leaks on Mike's Supra. The metal spacers that have been on the car which take up the space in the manifold and allow the aftermarket injectors to fit leak so we welded them in.

After that went back together we got it back on the dyno for testing. The misfire was still there, but power was up some, so the spacer welding helped. Then we tested another HKS DLI on Mike's Supra and the misfire was gone. His DLI will be going in for service and we're getting him a replacement in the meantime.

The car made about 390 whp on 16 psi which isn't too bad, but we're going to put some HKS 264 cams in to broaden the powerband and bump the power up.

Work continued on Phils STI getting the 35R kit and other goodies:

We finished up Jon's 04 WRX which we put a VF43 turbo in, DW 650cc injectors etc.:

Dan's 04 WRX with STI shortblock and HTA68 turbo came back for a retune for a KS Tech 83mm intake and GS EBCS:

We did the 30K service on Jeremy's 06 WRX:

Our shipment of ViPec standalone ECUs arrived today so we got Newman's Skyline powered BMW on the road.

anti lag testing:

Tuning all the throttle angles since this car has ITBs and a turbo:

And here's a WOT pull on the wastegate spring at 8 psi. He's going to drive it like this for a bit to continue engine break in and take care of some housekeeping on the car, then come back for us to turn up the boost and make some real power soon.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Default 4/7/10-4/8/10 - Visit from Source Interlink Media and more

Some of the guys from Source Interlink Media (publishers of Modified, Import Tuner, Super Street and many other car magazines) stopped by the shop to check out our ongoing projects and discuss some business over pizza and wings at Buffalo's famous Anchor Bar (home of the Buffalo Wing).

I performed two cold starts on Newman's Skyline GT-R powered BMW to do some tweaking on that part of the ViPec mapping and he took it home to rework some wiring and get used to driving his new pride and joy.

Beven's custom fuel system was wrapped up and we started the custom fuel system for Brian's STI.

The mechanical work was wrapped up on Phil's STI. Pics to come.

The cylinder head etc. is off Hector's S2000 for us to install upgraded valvetrain parts and a Cometic head gasket to drop the compression along with some ARP head studs.

Mike H's 05 STI track car went on the rollers and I started the ViPec standalone ECU tuning. I got through the dyno portion of the partial throttle tuning and had time to run it up to 7500 RPM on spring pressure. It's making around 300 whp on 11 psi and we'll be bringing the boost up to around 20 for his pump gas tune when I continue on it this week.

Cobb Surgeline's Tim Bailey got me the special version of the ProTUNER software I needed to tune Rich's 2010 LGT so Rich came back to have another go at tuning. Sure enough the new software worked like a champ. The ability to remove the torque limits in the ECU was there and functioning. The torque I was able to achieve is pretty staggering for a stock vehicle, blowing away what I've seen the STI do. The new front mounted turbo setup is most likely responsible for this extra potential. Up top, the boost tapers and the little top mount intercooler gets heat soaked causing power to drop dramatically, but with the long gears this car has, the big bump in low end and mid range grunt should really wake the car up.

We finished up Jed's SRT-4 when his new battery arrived, checked over Elvis's Mazdaspeed Protege in preparation for tuning. Unfortunately he has a lot of work ahead of him before the car is ready to be tuned. We also took care of Jeremy's Subaru which was due for it's 30k service.

Then Thursday night I started the drive to my folks house down by NYC in preparation for a day of tuning in Connecticut Friday at a shop which will remain nameless for now which turned out to be quite the story. More on that to come!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Default 4/9/10 - Travelling tuning in Connecticut

This blog is about posting what's going on at our shop and what I'm up to in terms of tuning including my tuning trips. A number of negative things happened with the first shop involved in my tuning trip so I've left their name out. I've left the shop's name in that did the good work and helped the customer and I out because they deserve the credit.

Back in February one of our customers, Tom from NYC, contacted me to come down and tune his car. He asked me to call around and see where we should get some dyno time. He also needed AEM MAP (pressure), IAT (intake air temp.), and UEGO (wideband air/fuel) sensors properly installed/wired prior to my arrival so the AEM EMS could be plugged in and I could start tuning. After calling a few shops in that area, based on price and the image I got from their web presence I selected a shop in CT I'll call X. They said they would have no trouble with the installs or me tuning on their dyno.

I called them back to let them know that I had selected X to do the work and would be having Tom call them to formally set up the install appointment and book the dyno time. I was very clear about who I was and what shop I was from both times I called. I also asked to talk to their tuner directly both times, but he was always busy. This is not uncommon since this time of year shops in the Northeast get swamped. Because he was not available I asked their office guy to make sure their tuner was OK with it. I've had specialist tuners tune on my dyno a few times over the years and I'm fine with it, but didn't want to surprise them so I felt this was common courtesy. I never heard from their tuner.

Tom called and set up the appointment. They couldn't get him in for a month, but we decided to wait because they seemed like the best option.

Fast forward to March 30th when X had Tom's car scheduled for the installs. He dropped his 06 STI off at X on the scheduled date. On the 6th, just days before I was supposed to come down to tune the car, they contacted Tom and said it was a conflict of interest having someone else tune a Subaru on their dyno and they wouldn't allow it. Needless to say both Tom and I weren't happy with this since I'd gone out of my way multiple times to make sure this would be OK ahead of time, and because we'd waited a month to get time there. Tom had talked to the same X employee that I'd talked to so there should have been no confusion about me tuning the car. If this was the end of the issues, I'd say it was just an odd mistake, but it was just the beginning.

Tom sprung into action the next day and found Pruven Performance who I'd heard of before, but I hadn't realized they were in that area so they weren't one of the shops I had originally called. They generously offered to let us use the dyno on very short notice and at a fair rate, but that was just the beginning.

It's now 4/7/10, the day before I drive down and X contacted Tom to tell him that their installers don't know how to wire the AEM sensors. They claimed that the MAP sensor couldn't be wired into the stock MAP sensor wiring in the engine bay (not true...this is how I ended up installing it), and that they weren't comfortable wiring the sensors at the ECU. They did find that Tom had been sold the wrong UEGO sensor and it truly could not be used. Tom contacted me and I told him I'd put the proper UEGO unit in my car and bring it down with me. X welded a bung in Tom's exhaust for the sensor, looked at a fuel pump wiring issue, and installed the MAP and IAT sensors.

I put together a few boxes of tools and electrical supplies plus my tuning gear and set out for my folks house the evening of 4/8/10. I got in around 2am and woke up at 7am so I could make the drive to X in CT and be there when they opened at 9am.

My trusty iPhone got me there right at 9am and I went in to see what the status of the car was. They apologized for the internal mis-communication that resulted in Tom and I being notified that I couldn't tune there at the last minute.

Here's what the engine bay looked like when I got there:

They screwed the MAP sensor into the vacuum manifold that was there and removed the intercooler pipe by removing the BOV to clear the strut bar, drilled the pipe, stuck the IAT in, put the pipe back on and the BOV back on. More on this later.

I got to work wiring the sensors. I wired the AEM MAP to the stock MAP sensor wiring and Tom showed up with his buddies who ran the IAT wires into the cabin for me while I worked. Then he and his buddies jacked the car up and put the UEGO sensor in the exhaust. I wired the UEGO output into the stock harness so I had wideband output to the AEM EMS ECU and quickly used test leads to power the UEGO so we could get the car out of there and on the way to the next shop. I loaded up a map from another 06 STI I had tuned on AEM EMS, made a few changes, and it fired up first try. Tom took care of his bill with X and we started the drive to Pruven performance. Tom drove my wife's WRX wagon which I'd borrowed for the trip and I road tuned Tom's STI on the way to Pruven which was about an hour drive.

The drive from X back to civilization was a bit of over the river and through the woods on dirt roads.

As we pulled up I noticed the blue Dynoflash STI. I didn't realize that Big Al had moved his operations to Pruven.

Sure enough as I brought the car around back so they could load it on the dyno, Big Al was wrenching on an Evo and greeted us. As he put it, we don't care who tunes on our dyno as long as they love Subarus. The guys at Pruven were very welcoming too, but that was just the beginning. X and Pruven turned out to be night and day different as the day went on.

Once the car was on the dyno I gave it a little boost and noticed something was up with the fuel system so I stopped and went over it with the guys at Pruven. They quickly found the problem with the injector wiring and started fixing it. It wasn't a quick fix so this took some time, but they did a clean a proper job so it was a permanent fix. Nice work.

While they were working on engine bay wiring, big Al took us for a ride in the Dynoflash STI. As Al put it, he finally found a setup of head porting and cams etc. that provided the top end power he's been looking for. We saw it on the dyno graph and on the street you could definitely feel how the torque held up top much better than on a non ported and stock cammed STI engine. It's always fun to go for a ride in a quick car. Thanks Al!

After Pruven fixed up the injector wiring, I had them do a boost leak test because I felt there was no way the IAT sensor was sealed to the intercooler pipe. At first that wasn't the leak they found. They Tial BOV was leaking like crazy at the flange. They removed the BOV to find the o-ring that makes the seal wasn't there. X must have lost it when the pulled the BOV to drill the pipe for the IAT sensor. One of the guys at Pruven went out into the parking lot in the rain to borrow the o-ring off one of their cars. Thumbs up again for Pruven. It's nice to see another shop that goes above and beyond for their customers and Tom and I definitely appreciated it.

With the o-ring in and the BOV back on they tested again. Now the massive IAT leak was obvious so they pulled the pipe, took a piece of steel and drilled and tapped it to make a bung, then welded it on. They reinstalled the pipe and used teflon tape on the threads. Boost leak test again. No more IAT leak. At this point they noticed the system still wasn't holding pressure and tons of air was coming out the crankcase. Tom was concerned about an incident with a previous tuner involving a full boost pass with the AFR in the mid 13's where the engine detonated badly. He said after that his catch can had been filling up with oil quickly any time he boosted the car so at this point everyone felt a leakdown test was in order but it was 9pm on a Friday night and there's a noise curfew in their area where they can't run the dyno after 10 pm due to houses being nearby. That meant I wouldn't be able to tune the car on dyno if the engine tested OK and the crankcase leakage was not from a ring issue.

At that point we thanked the guys from Pruven for all their help and got on the 95 to do some road tuning so Tom could drive his car home. At 10pm I had the car road tuned up to 6000 RPM on spring pressure so Tom could get it home. I let him hold onto my test leads which were powering the UEGO until he had time to hard wire it.

When we stopped back at Pruven at about 10pm so I could pick up my car, Big Al was still hard at work trying to sort out his a fuel system issue on his car. He's a controversial guy, but you can't fault his dedication to his cars. Earlier in the day he found the lines in his fuel sending unit were falling apart so I recommended he get submersible high pressure fuel line to replace them. After trying that he still had a pressure drop issue so he'll be testing new walbros next to see if one or both is dying. I wished Al luck, got in my wife's WRX wagon and headed 45 minutes back north to the hood to pick up some BMW M3 brakes for Justin's BMW project. Quarter to 11...Friday night...in the hood...thanks Justin! Then I headed back to my folks' house for the night.

Tom let me know the drive home went fine and the car was running smooth for now. Sunday he tried to go for a drive, but the car shut off while he was driving and wouldn't start. Tom decided to check the other bit of work X did on the fuel pump wiring. Sure enough they had just smushed the end of a ground wire against some metal and it shifted, causing the fuel pump to lose power and make the car shut off. Tom fixed this and the car is up and running again. He also hard wired the power/ground for the UEGO so it's permanently installed. I look forward to finishing the tune on his STI in the future.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
idipskoalmint
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (2)

Member#: 169716
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
WTF Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative Tuning
Dan's 04 WRX with STI shortblock and HTA68 turbo came back for a retune for a KS Tech 83mm intake and GS EBCS:
Between Spence's and Dan's car, you're really liking the KSTech intakes, aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative Tuning
big Al took us for a ride in the Dynoflash STI. As Al put it, he finally found a setup of head porting and cams etc. that provided the top end power he's been looking for. We saw it on the dyno graph and on the street you could definitely feel how the torque held up top much better than on a non ported and stock cammed STI engine. It's always fun to go for a ride in a quick car. Thanks Al!
Any insight as to the air date of your Dynoflash video premiere?
idipskoalmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

I've loved KS Tech intakes since I first tried one a couple years ago. I recommend them to anyone that wants a bigger than stock housing intake. The 83mm ones are a piece of cake to tune because they don't cause turbulence like the stepped housings from other companies.

Tom and I didn't realize we'd be in a Dynoflash video when we got in Al's STI for the test ride, but I think Al already posted the video.

Last edited by Innovative Tuning; 04-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #21
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Default 4/12/10 - Catching up with customers, ViPec STI tuning, etc.

Today I spent most of the day catching up with customers who contacted me while I was off on the tuning trip. I will continue with this tomorrow.

Today our crew tested an SRT-4 for a customer interested in buying one. The engine checked out fine so he's in good shape.

We pulled the transmission and clutch out of an 04 WRX. Tomorrow we're installing an ACT heavy duty street clutch kit in that car.

We also pulled the adjustable cam gears off a WRX to reinstall the stock ones as part of diagnosing a triggering issue with an AEM EMS system.

We continued the fuel system work on Brian's 04 STI:

A bunch of Rota wheels arrived so we got them organized for group buy customers.

And I worked on the boost tuning on Mike H's 05 STI which he's put together for road course use.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #22
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

Default 4/13/10 - Another 35R STI, Clutch/Timing installs, Exhaust, etc.

We wrapped up Phil's 06 STI build. His car had been out of commission at his place for around 6 months so the battery was shot, but we were able to coax it back to life. We vacuum bled the coolant, but still go through the standard bleeding procedure to be sure the system is free of air.

You can see the modifications we performed at our facility to the Ultimate Racing GT35R kit for this application here.

Custom BPV recirculation to allow for proper drivability on stock ECU:

Custom bead rolled aluminum bridge pipe and couplers with T bolts allows the use of an unmodified Garrett dual BB GT35R turbo. This means if Phil ever wants to change turbos or get an HTA upgrade on his, he won't have to pay a shop to hack up the compressor housing and weld to it. It also means he'd be able to sell this turbo to anyone looking for a GT35R turbo, and not just someone with a UR kit.

Onto the dyno she went for custom tuning on pump gas via Cobb's ProTUNER (now AccessTUNER Pro) software.

And here's the result...a conservative tune for a daily driven car on the stock engine:

The guys reinstalled his bumper, removed the protective tape we put on the fenders during the installs and I went out on the road to tweak the mapping. After some careful MAF calibration modding and adjustment of the tip in enrichment the car was responding as it should.

We removed the restrictive stock cat back from Trevor's 08 WRX Sedan in favor of a freer flowing unit from Magnaflow:

We also finished up the clutch install on Brian's 04 WRX wagon. Then we performed timing belt and water pump service on it. During the course of the work we found a number of other issues which we'll be going over with Brian to make sure he's aware of them including lug nuts coming in loose enough to remove the locking ones by hand.

I was happy to hear that Tom, our customer from the tuning trip a few days ago, is working towards some form of resolution with shop X.

Work continued on the custom fuel system for Brian's 04 STI for most of the day. I continued my tweaking of the ViPec standalone mapping on Mike H's 05 STI track car, and continued catching up with contacts from the weekend for around 6 hours today. About 300 emails, 40 PMs and a number of phone messages down since Monday. If I haven't responded to you yet, I assure you I'm getting close.

We also got to see the controversial new NY state license plates on a DSM that got dropped off for service next week:

Last edited by Innovative Tuning; 04-14-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
jigga
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRBlue Perl

Mike,

Can you explain to us the need to tune all throttle angles on a car with ITB's? Why would tuning such a car be different compared to something with a single throttle body?

Those Vipec boxes sure are pretty sitting there..
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #24
Innovative Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
MY96 Time Attack
and 06 STI daily

With an ITB setup throttle angle changes have a drastic effect on engine airflow even at high throttle angles. For example, even at just 8 psi there's a big difference in airflow between 70 and 80% throttle angles. On a single large throttle body there would be little if any difference in airflow under those conditions.

Because this is a speed density based tune, airflow is determined by manifold pressure and intake air temperature (other trims excluded for the sake of keeping this a simple explanation). This car can hit 8 psi at less than half throttle, but as you increase throttle angle airflow increases very significantly so you need a way to account for that. Tuning the car by alpha n vs. RPM with manifold pressure based correction allows me to account for those changes in airflow and maintain proper fueling at all throttle angles and boost levels.

I've tuned a couple non ITB setups this way and I was very happy with the results in terms of how the car responded and drove, but doing this is overkill for most customers with non ITB setups.

Last edited by Innovative Tuning; 04-15-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #25
jigga
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRBlue Perl

Interesting... It sounds like it would be right up my alley with the way I tend to drive... playing with different throttle angles in boost, never really actually hitting WOT really per say..