Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Kotir
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17300
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
'93 Impreza L Wagon
JDM Ver8 STi swap

Default Dyno Tune: EJ207 + Holset HX35 makes 398whp

Event: Dyno Pull
Location: English Racing, Vancouver WA
Ambient Temp: 60F
Elevation: 171 FT
Weather: Overcast
Track and Conditions: N/A
Tires: 255/45-17 Champiros

Car: 1993, Impreza L
Tuner:
Dyno Info: Dynojet
Transmission: 2005 USDM STi 6spd
Gear: 3rd
Peak HP at RPM: 398 Uncorrected
Peak Torque at RPM: 330 Uncorrected
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: 240-250whp STi
Target Boost: 25psi
Target AFR: 11:1 ish
Fuel: 92
Engine/Power Modifications: 2003 JDM STi Ver8 Engine swap, Stock twinscroll headers/uppipe, Custom VF to T3 twinscroll adapter/twin Tial 38 MV-S/downpipe/intake fabbed by Garage 808, Holset HX35W, ID1000 injectors, Dual in tank Walbros, 3" Titanium catback, Opensource

My logger was freaking out when I was at the dyno so didn't really get to tune it, so forgive the AFR wave Something I borked in the wiring I think. Also no E85 fun

I figured I'd still post up what it made since I've been working on this setup for awhile.



Most recent picture of engine bay that I have, since then cleaned up more and new cold air intake now:


I need to weight it again but it was around ~2,500lbs (without driver) last time I checked. All my non-Subaru friends want me to put an intake manifold that actually has a plenum, probably something custom, we'll see if that happens before I go back

Car went 12.2 @ 116 with a 2.0 60' on 18psi on the stock VF37

Car doesn't feel nearly as laggy as it looks on the dyno, might try a 4th gear pull next time.

Hopefully get E85 tune, and get some drag results soon.

-Tim
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kotir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Prevent
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 149114
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I'm too mainstream
Default

very nice, i like the engine bay.

jealous of the 8k redline too
Prevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
project_skyline
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153880
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Vehicle:
03 Evo VIII
2011 STI

Default

Very nice. Aaron over at English racing is a very good tuner.
That power looks like fun.
project_skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
bugeye1257
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188598
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Ivyland, Pa
Vehicle:
2005 4runner sport

Default

glad to see another holset subie now tune it with e85 and turn the boost up to 30
bugeye1257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

do you have more pics? the front looks
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
seanathanq83
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 173241
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2002 s256 twinscroll
now with one more gear

Default

looks sick, have any pictures of the adapter you used to go from the twinscroll to t3?
seanathanq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Kotir
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17300
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
'93 Impreza L Wagon
JDM Ver8 STi swap

Default

I will post more pictures of car/adapter when I'm back at a real computer.

On a side note redoing the intercooler piping with reverse manifold cut like 8 ft of piping verses the conventional setup I had before - the throttle/boost response is a lot better than mt old setup with the VF37/fmic/stock rotation manifold.

-Tim
Kotir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

sweet!! I wanna see more pics of the car
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
treystoys
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97436
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Metairie, Louisiana
Vehicle:
03 WRX stage 2.2
white/w/ce28n's

Default

Thats awesome man makes me think a bit more about bumping from 23 to 25psi on 93...hows the timing mid and top end?

Trey
treystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
cribbie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 184505
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Ontario
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Sonic yellow

Default

Great post!!!
cribbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
comtrang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 244580
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO/SLC, UT
Vehicle:
1997 Saab 900
Holset HX35

Default

Hi, came across your thread on Google. Just wondering which version of the HX35 are you using, is it a 12cm^2 version straight off of a Ram or did you pick yours up elsewhere? When are you actually seeing full boost on the road?

Last edited by comtrang; 04-20-2010 at 02:01 PM.
comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
blakkboxer
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 167244
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW, Tx
Vehicle:
2k3 WRX MBP
black & gold is pimpin'

Default

thaat's siiick!

i wana ej207!
blakkboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 WRX Wagon

Default

Stock (no aftermarket pistons, rods, crank, and so on) block EJ207 v8?
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
hauntedwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 115104
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Ohio
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Sedona Red Pearl

Default

Damn that is a nice looking car. Glad to see the results with a stock 207.
hauntedwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
akaGeneyus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 127247
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
04 Impreza
JBP

Default

cant wait to get one of these motors in my car! nice results
akaGeneyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Paul
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 56203
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: south nj
Vehicle:
00 RSTI Coupe
Twin Scroll 2.5XTR EJ207

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotir View Post
I will post more pictures of car/adapter when I'm back at a real computer.

-Tim
please do...id like to see pics of how you have the wastegates setup too
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
Kotir
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17300
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
'93 Impreza L Wagon
JDM Ver8 STi swap

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Hi, came across your thread on Google. Just wondering which version of the HX35 are you using, is it a 12cm^2 version straight off of a Ram or did you pick yours up elsewhere? When are you actually seeing full boost on the road?
It's is a HX35W of a I think 1997 Dodge Ram with the 12cm^2 hotside. I need to figure out how to get the logger working again, I got AVCS working again - so I think it should spool a bit quicker now too. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierysun View Post
Stock (no aftermarket pistons, rods, crank, and so on) block EJ207 v8?
Completely stock, never been opened, EJ207 Version 8 complete engine. It has almost 60k miles on it now, I believe it had maybe 5k when I first swapped it. The engine has survived two chassis' so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
please do...id like to see pics of how you have the wastegates setup too
The adapter is kind of hard to take pictures of the adapter, this is probably the best I have of it out of the car:


I was going to try to go out and get some better shots, but have been busy/lazy so here's some from in front of my house...







And my awesome stripped interior:


-Tim
Kotir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #18
jibber
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6675
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Your ECU
Vehicle:
98 SF5 some mods
01 allroad

Default

Hahahah Tim that is Awesome! Quite a different car than you drove away!

Josh
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #19
comtrang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 244580
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO/SLC, UT
Vehicle:
1997 Saab 900
Holset HX35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotir View Post
It's is a HX35W of a I think 1997 Dodge Ram with the 12cm^2 hotside. I need to figure out how to get the logger working again, I got AVCS working again - so I think it should spool a bit quicker now too. I'll have to get back to you on that.

I see - the reason why I ask is cause I also have a HX35 off of a '97 Ram on my 2.0 Saab and what I was looking up when I came across your thread is how quick others were getting these versions of the HX35 to spool. I'll do an overlay of my dyno sheet onto yours and post it up later so you can see, too - I think we're both seeing full boost at about the same time but just the shape is a little different. Will post that up a little later.

Your car looks great by the way, I know for sure that thing freakin' flies. It weighs 500lbs less than mine, and mine gets going pretty good
comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #20
Fierysun
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 WRX Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotir View Post
Completely stock, never been opened, EJ207 Version 8 complete engine. It has almost 60k miles on it now, I believe it had maybe 5k when I first swapped it. The engine has survived two chassis' so far.
Amazing...just looking at the 8,100 rpm redline makes me nervous.

How's the compression on all four cylinders?
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #21
Kotir
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17300
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
'93 Impreza L Wagon
JDM Ver8 STi swap

Default

Definitely would like to see a comparison, is your setup twinscroll? I'm sure I can get mine spooling faster with more tuning and of course having AVCS working. Regardless, even with how the car was when it was dyno'd even my skeptic friends didn't think it was really laggy on the street.

-Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
I see - the reason why I ask is cause I also have a HX35 off of a '97 Ram on my 2.0 Saab and what I was looking up when I came across your thread is how quick others were getting these versions of the HX35 to spool. I'll do an overlay of my dyno sheet onto yours and post it up later so you can see, too - I think we're both seeing full boost at about the same time but just the shape is a little different. Will post that up a little later.
Kotir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #22
comtrang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 244580
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO/SLC, UT
Vehicle:
1997 Saab 900
Holset HX35

Default




Didn't do a very good job of it, but I think its enough that you can see how our torque curves compare.
comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #23
comtrang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 244580
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO/SLC, UT
Vehicle:
1997 Saab 900
Holset HX35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotir View Post
Definitely would like to see a comparison, is your setup twinscroll? I'm sure I can get mine spooling faster with more tuning and of course having AVCS working. Regardless, even with how the car was when it was dyno'd even my skeptic friends didn't think it was really laggy on the street.

-Tim
Yep, twinscroll manifold fabricated in Finland where the Saab big boys play. I'm also in the same boat with the tune - during the initial tune my boost controller and stock 2.5bar MAP sensor were apparently bad and I still have yet to replace the MAP sensor. In addition to that, 18psi is as much as I can throw at it because that's as much fuel as the Walbro can handle. Timing was hardly touched in the tune, still a long way to go with it.

I don't think these turbos are laggy at all, they're huge! Considering you've got til 8k+ to play with, you've got plenty of powerband, too, unlike me.
comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 AM   #24
Kotir
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17300
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
'93 Impreza L Wagon
JDM Ver8 STi swap

Default

Got any pictures of your setup? Always curious to see what other people are doing - there's about a dozen Hondas around here with Holsets, my friend had a HX35 on his RB20DET swapped 240sx and I think my other friend is going about to put one on his built motor Evo. The custom setups people do with Holsets always interest me.

Are you running a full 4" intake since yours is speed density? Sort of curious how much power I'm throwing away tapering my intake to ~3" MAF.

-Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Yep, twinscroll manifold fabricated in Finland where the Saab big boys play. I'm also in the same boat with the tune - during the initial tune my boost controller and stock 2.5bar MAP sensor were apparently bad and I still have yet to replace the MAP sensor. In addition to that, 18psi is as much as I can throw at it because that's as much fuel as the Walbro can handle. Timing was hardly touched in the tune, still a long way to go with it.

I don't think these turbos are laggy at all, they're huge! Considering you've got til 8k+ to play with, you've got plenty of powerband, too, unlike me.
Kotir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #25
comtrang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 244580
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO/SLC, UT
Vehicle:
1997 Saab 900
Holset HX35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotir View Post
Got any pictures of your setup? Always curious to see what other people are doing - there's about a dozen Hondas around here with Holsets, my friend had a HX35 on his RB20DET swapped 240sx and I think my other friend is going about to put one on his built motor Evo. The custom setups people do with Holsets always interest me.

Are you running a full 4" intake since yours is speed density? Sort of curious how much power I'm throwing away tapering my intake to ~3" MAF.

-Tim
Yeah I am, I've got a 4" rubber elbow coming right off the compressor and a couple others to get it where it needs to go.








And here's the rest of the setup if it helps. Stock internals, top and bottom. Thus the low rev limit.

Holset HX35 56mm turbocharger
Reindeer Performance Custom made twin scroll manifold
TiAL V44 External wastegate, .9bar spring
Siemens deka 845cc injectors
By me 3" downpipe v-band flanged, welded by Liquid & Powdercoat Finishes
By me 2.5" delivery pipe
JT 3" catback exhaust, catless
CXracing 22"x8"x3.5" front mount intercooler
Custom Stage 'Drew' tune
Bullet 14" universal slim fan
Russell -4AN oil lines
Walbro 255hp 341 fuel pump
Spec Stage 3 Clutch w/ Viggen Pressure Plate
Forge FMDV004 atmospheric dump valve
K&N cone filter, homemade 4" intake plumbing

AEM Wideband A/F ratio Gauge
AutoMeter Pyrometer
AutoMeter Sport Comp Boost Gauge
Equus Oil Pressure Gauge
comtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dyno Tune: EJ207 w/ stock VF30 subydude Proven Power Bragging 27 05-14-2010 12:25 PM
Dyno Tune: 2.0L + VF43 makes 285 whp dsolis Proven Power Bragging 54 04-05-2010 06:34 AM
Dyno Tune: 2.0L + TD04 makes 242whp 263WTQ (Epic Motorsports) fl4tsc Proven Power Bragging 17 02-05-2010 03:31 AM
Dyno Tune: TD04 at P&L makes 320whtq with new TMIC sszyma Proven Power Bragging 28 11-09-2009 04:04 PM
Dyno Tune: 2.5L + ATP35 makes 360whp 2gnt2wrx Proven Power Bragging 12 10-31-2009 08:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.