Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:50 AM   #1
shadokreeper
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 401740
Default Mine's tuned ECU????

Just bought a JDM STI v8 Motor last week from JDM Racing Motors and it came with a v7 ecu tuned by Mine's. It has the Mine's plaque on the ecu. The problem is that I know in Japan they run better octane fuel than in the US so I need to flash this ecu to a more less aggressive map. So...

Last night, I tried reading from the ecu using ECUFlash with a Tactrix cable but no luck. I think I chose all the correct options such as the car being a WRX/STI non UDSM, etc. ECUFlash will try to read from the ecu but it will just hang and never really do anything. When I did this process with my WRX ecu it read fine and probably took less than a minute.

I don't really care about the Mine's map. I just want to flash a base map so that I can get the car tuned by a pro tuner. But apparently, ECUFlash cannot read from the ecu so I'm not even sure if it can flash.
The car will start and idles superbly smooth and fine but I was leaking power steering fluid from the washer at the banjo bolt thus decided to order a braided line so had to wait a few more days.

But I guess my main question is: Are Mine's ECU locked? If it is, then I will just return the ecu back to JDMracingmotors because one week without being able to drive a swapped ej207 feels like a century. (I know people will tell me to ask on Romraider.com, etc. but there seems to be more active people on NASIOC).
shadokreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
quazimoto
Scooby Guru

Member#: 70395
Chapter/Region: MAIC

My guess is they probably used Ecutek software to flash the ROM. Probably is locked.
quazimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
shadokreeper
Scooby Newbie

Thats what I'm afraid of. I'll try to reinstall Ecuflash since I found on one of the other forums that maybe ecuflash program is stuck on the old car, which in my case was the wrx ecu.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
mikeyPSF
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 236475
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokreeper View Post
Thats what I'm afraid of. I'll try to reinstall Ecuflash since I found on one of the other forums that maybe ecuflash program is stuck on the old car, which in my case was the wrx ecu.
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "stuck on the old car." If you have a ROM open in EcuFlash, the read/write method will be dictated by the currently open ROM. If you have no ROM open, then you'll make your selection of what ECU you're trying to work with by clicking on the vehicle icon. So when you click on the vehicle icon, select the vehicle that corresponds to the ECU you're trying to work with. Currently open ROM or your vehicle selection are the two ways that EcuFlash gets information about what you want to do. It won't 'stick' on anything otherwise.

Mike
Tactrix
mikeyPSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
shadokreeper
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Mike. But yeah you're right. But just a little frustrated cause I cant read or test write to the ecu. I sent an email to jdm racingmotors to see if I can get another ecu.
But when I try to read from the ecu(following the procedure to flash like connecting the two plugs etc.) the tactrix will disconnect because you will hear that Windows usb disconnect sound and it seems that Ecuflash is trying to communicate with the ecu. At the bottom of the Ecuflash program it says the car year and model and "in use" but wont do anything.
I read and flash my old wrx ecu with no problem.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
mikeyPSF
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 236475
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Black

Can you send me an email to support at tactrix dot com and we'll do some troubleshooting?
mikeyPSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
shadokreeper
Scooby Newbie

I'll try to send you an email by friday. I gotta get ready for work but heres a photo of the ecu if it helps any.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfelom8ztc..._8160.JPG?dl=0
Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
shadokreeper
Scooby Newbie

Well, I returned the ecu and see if they have any v8 ecu available. Thanks for helping.