Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday April 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
wongsubi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 264470
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
WRB

Default Broke bolt on rack

Was changing out the steering rack bushings today on my 04 STi, and snapped the front bolt holding on the passenger side bracket... it's an older car and those bolts were rusted to ****... penetrating oil does nothing and can't even get in.

Question is I have the bracket in place with only 1 bolt holding it, so far there is no problems when driving and turning, but should I take it to a place to get that fixed or is it ok to leave as is? The bolt is so small and so far stuck in there I don't know how that's even fixable.....

Also just as a comment, I love how the design of the car is so impractical for something simple like changing out rubber pieces... having all the power steering lines in the way on the driver side is beyond retarded... those lines could have easily been moved out of the way.... then again it is an 10 year old car... but still infuriates me.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wongsubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Web Foot STi
Scooby Guru

Member#: 39086
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Get it fixed and drive VERY sedately until you do. If the bracket bends, or the other bolt fails your steering will go all wonky.

I changed mine out a while ago and the easy(?) way is to disconnect the steering column. Don't touch the steering wheel, or wiggle the suspension and you can stab things back together with everything in proper alignment.
Web Foot STi is offline   Reply With Quote