Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
acssa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184023
Default STI sets lap record

The Timken Subaru SA STI won and set a new lap record in the South African production car series. The block was build by Rallispec and was stock appart from the Manley pistons that allowed due to ring land issues.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
acssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Counterfit
Scooby Guru

Member#: 124254
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

Link?

Time?

Hell, what track was it on?
Counterfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
acssa
Scooby Newbie

It was a great weekend for Timken Subaru Racing at Aldo Scribante when round three of the Wesbank SuperSeries got under way in Port Elizabeth. A great qualifying session saw the Impreza STI in the thick of the battle for the lead in all three rounds of the Bridgestone Production Car Championship, culminating in a well-deserved and very popular win in the final 14-lapper.

Friday practice got off to a shaky start with the Timken Subaru Impreza bedeviled by fuel surge problems which the SP Racing team sorted by the end of the day. Saturday qualifying saw Groenewald claim the 2nd fastest time just 0.239 second off Anthony Taylor’s BMW, the early season pacesetters. “I probably went out a few minutes too early as the circuit had some mud at both hairpins and there had been reports of spilt oil as well which compromised my times a bit. I guess the early birds swept the track for the others”, Groenewald reported. The Impreza STI also set the second fastest second quickest lap, which determines the grid for the final 14 lap race. It was all systems go for the bright orange and blue Impreza!

Groenewald made a great start to the first race, rocketing the Timken Impreza STI off the line, latching onto the BMW’s rear bumper. Try as he might Groenewald could not find a way past the championship leader. “Anthony drove very defensively”, Groenewald said after the 8 lap race. “He was able to brake deeper into the corners than I could. We still have work to do on the Impreza’s brakes so we can match that type of stopping power. It is a crucial area as we could see in this type of situation. The Impreza ran a bit hot but it was consistent throughout the race”.

After a ten minute break, the next race got underway with an inverted grid for the top six finishers. Groenewald started 5th and quickly made his way up to 3rd, passing both Anthony Taylor and the current champion Johan Fourie’s Audi but not before some hefty contact with his fellow racers. “We had contact twice – at the start and going into the hairpin halfway around the track. The panel damage was ok, but the tyre valve was ripped off and that was the end of my race”, said a frustrated Groenewald. “There was also damage to the left front upright so I pitted to save the tyres for the final race which offers double points”.

On the front row of the grid for race three, the Timken Subaru STI again got a good start with Groenewald holding a strong second place in a high-speed crocodile of cars that included the Audis of Michael Stephen and Johan Fourie. Time after time, Groenewald lunged around the outside of Taylor’s BMW only to slot back onto the leader’s rear bumper. Midway through the race, Groenewald again made a break for the lead, and this time the move stuck. The Impreza was in front! Over the remaining tense seven laps, Groenewald opened a healthy two second lead and took the chequered flag much to the delight of the huge crowd who cheered him on at every passing.

“Those last few laps felt like an eternity!” said a jubilant Groenewald. “I could see the BMW was starting to lose traction and grip so I bided my time. I still had a lot of traction and knew I could take him. I tried to crack his defensive lines a couple of times a lap by trying to get the Impreza’s nose up the inside but couldn’t maintain it. After I got to the front, I decided to keep driving hard in case something went wrong, like a tyre delaminating as it did in Cape Town”.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
acssa
Scooby Newbie