Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Mr Evolution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103333
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Default EJ20 or EJ257 on BH?

I have read:
"Engine swap questions READ HERE FIRST"
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3347

I am still on the fence and not sure which route to go with.
I am new to the Legacy swaps so be patient with me, I have done a swap on Nissan S13.

I have just spent hours reading peoples thread on here and Nasioc.
This is the closet to what I want to do:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... swap+ej257

But the Subi swaps look a lot more complicated after reading that entire thread.

Here are my criteria for the swap:

Must be a Sleeper!!!
Want to use stock everything since this is a Daily Driver and not looking to have a loud exhaust or blowoff valve "whsst"
Stock:
*(STi or WRX) turbo back exhaust
*Intake
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Mr Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
fibuz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53410
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ / Port Angeles, WA
Vehicle:
BE-> GD->GR->SG->BL
WAawd.org

Default

Either one is fine. More power with the 257, obviously...but it costs more. In my opinion, they both have similar reliability records/problems/advantages.

Both swaps are similar in procedure, so no drawbacks there. The biggest pain for you is going to be wiring.

If you can afford the 257, do it.
fibuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Mr Evolution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103333
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Default

EJ257 it is, since I have to do all that work, might as well make it the best stock power.

Does anyone have a parts list to complete this swap???

EJ257 Engine
6spd Trans
Harness
WRX cross Bars
WRX Front Axle
Driveshaft I would imagine, can someone confirm??
Rear pumpkin??
Mr Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
fibuz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53410
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ / Port Angeles, WA
Vehicle:
BE-> GD->GR->SG->BL
WAawd.org

Default

You probably need some sort of turbo cross member, not sure if that's what you meant by cross bars.

You're going to need to do some sort of custom exhaust too probably.

Baja turbo hood/hoodscoop/air splitter.

Might wanna consider an sti fuel pump too.
fibuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
rougeben83
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 115154
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
White on grey

Default

Apparently you haven't read all of that if you still need a list of stuff. It's the same deal as every other subaru turbo swap. The only particulars for a BE/BH is
1) you need a custom made DP-back exhaust as there isn't anything made for a turbo-swap BE/BH either US or Japan,
2) you need an auto BE/BH driveshaft (not wrx, no impreza) with the 6 speed swap
3) you will lose your cruise control.
4) you absolutely need a bigger fuel pump, running a turbo engine on a piddly n/a pump is just E-tarded. However, you can't really fit anything bigger than an STI fuel pump in the pump subassembly without custom fitting a bigger unit, like a walbro, in (see legacygt.com for 05+ legacy's and fitment of a walbro pump , it will be similar).

And of course everyone will pick ej257. More torque, less lag, bigger turbo, semi-closed deck; it's a no-brainer. The only thing that keeps people from doing it is cost.

At the end of the day though, I'll take my ej205 over anything n/a every time. Oh and "stage 4" ej205 (260whp/250tq, 19psi thru a vf23, fmic, 550cc injectors, bellmouth dp, 3" catback etc.) going on 2+ years, 20k+ miles over here. So yes, you can apparently DD a modified turbo subaru too

Last edited by rougeben83; 05-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
fibuz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53410
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ / Port Angeles, WA
Vehicle:
BE-> GD->GR->SG->BL
WAawd.org

Default

ben in the house
fibuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Mr Evolution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103333
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougeben83 View Post
Apparently you haven't read all of that if you still need a list of stuff. It's the same deal as every other subaru turbo swap. The only particulars for a BE/BH is
1) you need a custom made DP-back exhaust as there isn't anything made for a turbo-swap BE/BH either US or Japan,
2) you need an auto BE/BH driveshaft (not wrx, no impreza) with the 6 speed swap
3) you will lose your cruise control.
4) you absolutely need a bigger fuel pump, running a turbo engine on a piddly n/a pump is just E-tarded. However, you can't really fit anything bigger than an STI fuel pump in the pump subassembly without custom fitting a bigger unit, like a walbro, in (see legacygt.com for 05+ legacy's and fitment of a walbro pump , it will be similar).

And of course everyone will pick ej257. More torque, less lag, bigger turbo, semi-closed deck; it's a no-brainer. The only thing that keeps people from doing it is cost.

At the end of the day though, I'll take my ej205 over anything n/a every time. Oh and "stage 4" ej205 (260whp/250tq, 19psi thru a vf23, fmic, 550cc injectors, bellmouth dp, 3" catback etc.) going on 2+ years, 20k+ miles over here. So yes, you can apparently DD a modified turbo subaru too
Thanks for all the replies!!!

You are right about the not reading critically, but the first time around was just so I can get an idea and will ask some appropriate questions without being too wet behind the ears

I would go Walbro FP and try to modify the housing to fit it in. I am guessing again, that the fuel line diameter is large enough for the new flow rate?

I really want this thing to be stock exhaust decibel levels, if possible, another reason for me to go with the EJ257, because no need to get bigger than stock exhaust, because flow is good enough.
Mr Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Mr Evolution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103333
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougeben83 View Post

At the end of the day though, I'll take my ej205 over anything n/a every time. Oh and "stage 4" ej205 (260whp/250tq, 19psi thru a vf23, fmic, 550cc injectors, bellmouth dp, 3" catback etc.) going on 2+ years, 20k+ miles over here. So yes, you can apparently DD a modified turbo subaru too
Well of course , why would anyone drive anything less than a Subaru powered vehicle

I have two Subi BTW
Mr Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
Mr Evolution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103333
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibuz View Post
You probably need some sort of turbo cross member, not sure if that's what you meant by cross bars.

You're going to need to do some sort of custom exhaust too probably.

Baja turbo hood/hoodscoop/air splitter.

Might wanna consider an sti fuel pump too.
Cross member you are right, I was speak with someone and they advised either a Baja or a WRX will work.

The exhaust will try to keep the cats and modify the piping. might throw in an extra resonator if it is too loud at the mid pipe
Mr Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
Mr Evolution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103333
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougeben83 View Post
3) you will lose your cruise control.
I thought the guy with the red BE was able to make his cruise work?

Does it make a difference if my car is an '04 BH with the drive by wire H4 engine. This engine also came on the '05 BL/BP na cars
Mr Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #11
rougeben83
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 115154
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
White on grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Evolution View Post
Thanks for all the replies!!!

You are right about the not reading critically, but the first time around was just so I can get an idea and will ask some appropriate questions without being too wet behind the ears

I would go Walbro FP and try to modify the housing to fit it in. I am guessing again, that the fuel line diameter is large enough for the new flow rate?

I really want this thing to be stock exhaust decibel levels, if possible, another reason for me to go with the EJ257, because no need to get bigger than stock exhaust, because flow is good enough.
I had a 2.5" exhaust straight pipe to an STI muffler before, it was only a little louder than stock and I still made the same power as I did now but full boost came in a little later compared to the 3" system.

It has been dyno'ed as high as 280whp/280tq before, but I'm basing my numbers on my most recent tune on a mustang dyno.

AFAIK, ten80 never got his cruise to work, you need the whole cruise system from the donor, the actuation for the cruise modules are different on turbo vs. n/a engines (one uses positive pressure from the manifold, other uses vacuum, I forgot which), and the modules require a wiring harness that isn't usually included when you do wiring merges. Cruise was an option on the old GC RS's as well so not a lot of those cars came with CC to begin with, so it's not been a common issue on that swap. You can certainly try to get yours to work though.

Plus, JDM cars never have cruise control, so its less JDM tyte if you have cruise
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Mr Evolution
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103333
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougeben83 View Post
I had a 2.5" exhaust straight pipe to an STI muffler before, it was only a little louder than stock and I still made the same power as I did now but full boost came in a little later compared to the 3" system.

It has been dyno'ed as high as 280whp/280tq before, but I'm basing my numbers on my most recent tune on a mustang dyno.

AFAIK, ten80 never got his cruise to work, you need the whole cruise system from the donor, the actuation for the cruise modules are different on turbo vs. n/a engines (one uses positive pressure from the manifold, other uses vacuum, I forgot which), and the modules require a wiring harness that isn't usually included when you do wiring merges. Cruise was an option on the old GC RS's as well so not a lot of those cars came with CC to begin with, so it's not been a common issue on that swap. You can certainly try to get yours to work though.

Plus, JDM cars never have cruise control, so its less JDM tyte if you have cruise
Great to know that bit of info, I will make a note of that for the build.
Mr Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EJ20 or EJ257 Hybrid Setup (Help Needed) stusha Subaru Conversions 2 09-05-2008 01:13 AM
WTB: CT ej20 OR ej257 short/long Just of Spades Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 1 04-13-2008 07:46 PM
EJ20 out.. EJ257 in. Advise wanted on spec please. frayz Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 16 08-23-2007 04:27 PM
WTB or WTT EJ20 or EJ257 Heads blinguskahn Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 5 04-27-2005 01:41 PM
USDM EJ20 or even JDM STi EJ20, regardless I need prices and availibility on engines! Blu25RS02 Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 6 05-16-2004 10:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.