Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
rs420
surf ninja

Member#: 157784
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

Default swapping my 02rs with 04/05wrx ej20

2002 2.5rs ~ 04/05 wrx ej20

All threads for this topic seem to be for GC body style, and end at 2001. I want this to be a good source of information for anyone wanting to swap into a bugeye.
(I made another thread in the N/A w/bolt on thread that doesnt get much attention)

The tale begins:
I have 2002 rs which I'm putting a 04/05 wrx ej20. It came as a complete engine and cradle assembly. 19000miles when pulled
Dropped out of the car with the front axles/hub&knuckles/calipers, auto tranny etc...

stock turbo cross member from the 04.
Exhaust
stock intake box setup
engine wiring harness
interior wiring harness
fuel pump controller and harness
Front Sway Bar
WRX ecu
WRX Powersteering assembly

I will update this thread as I do my swap, and will ask more questions hopefully that can be answered!
Thanks!
Here is the car

I made some progress. I stripped down the assembly I got, removed the knuckes and lower control arms. Removed the auto tranny/torque contertor/flex plate and got my new flywheel prepped to go in.

It looks like the wiring harness I got might not include the rear section of the car like I had asked the guy for (he was stripping a dismantle only title car) and so how ****ed am I not having that?

Can I just run new wires and wire it up myself, or do I have to go and buy the rear harness? Do I need anything off the rear wiring harness for tail lights, etc...? or is it just the fuel pump controller I need?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rs420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

Just started tonight, had an hour or 2 before the shop closed to get some work done.

Pulled the rad, evac the a/c system, removed my header, disconnected the throttle and cruise control cables, and got the intake off.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

I pulled the engine and swapped out the cross member.
I got the new engine in and all bolted up and also put in a new clutch.
All steering and suspension components are back in and bolted up.

I have only the rad, lower cowling, downpipe, intercooler, cat back and air intake system left to reinstall. Most everything went pretty smooth. It was all straight forward re+re and used same mounting points, etc...

I did run into a bit of trouble with the throttle/cruise cables not routing properly, and had to take the bracket off my old engine and modify it to work properly.

I also have a bit of a problem with my rad, and the new coolant resevoir location on top of the intake manifold. My stock rad doesnt have the 2 extra connections needed for the turbo motor. There has to be a proven way to do it, because I never hear about people having to replace their rads with the swap. I figured I would pick up a coolant T from lordco and fab something up.

Tomorrow I tackle the wiring. Ill be stripping the engine bay wiring and putting in the new harness. I hopefully have a ecu to borrow, and a cat-back coming from a friend tonight so I can bolt on the downpipe and cat-back tomorrow. I may or may not get into stripping the dash to replace the harness. Ill see how much time I have, as Im going out of town for the long weekend and have limited time to work on it.

I also aquired a new hood, and its being prepped and painted my custom grey color, and im going to rock a black scoop. I think it should look pretty good!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

anyone know if the 04 wrx and 02 rs share the same interior plugs? If I re+re my dash and replace the harness with the 04 wrx one, will all my accessories (speedo/tach, heating & a/c, airbags, turn signal switch, etc...) just plug into the new harness? or will I be cutting and splicing at each connector?

Quote:
I did this in my 02 RS as well with a 04 STI ........Yes as 25rsti said plugs are identical....you may have to pin out the door lock stuff and maybe the window switches but the pins go rite into the 02 stuff from the 04. I say that because I cant remember if my harness was cut at the doors or I had to pin them. It was back in 05 when I did my swap. Other than that all I had to do was wire up the Neutral Position wires and the Reverse wires ( 4 total wires....you may not even have to do that since your running your 5 speed like a WRX ) both coming out of the trans forward to the motor harness plugs. This is possibly the easiest ( and actually an enjoyable project ) swap to do because every thing is plug and play from the 02-04 years from RS-WRX-STi .....i did mine over a weekend. Even the gauge cluster is plug and play

The the RS HVAC system is cable and 04 STi is electronic. Im unsure of the WRX, if the WRX is electronic then that would be the only major wiring issue. I had a STi HVAC system to drop in so I did not have an issue.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=swap
It seems like the 04/05 wrx uses electronic hvac system vs cable for the 02 RS
Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

got the ecu and catback so I can work on finishing my swap.

I had to get a T connector for the extra hoses that come off the upper coolant tank on the turbo motor because the stock RS rad doesnt have the same setup.
-Pulled the dash and all lower console covers to get to the wiring

Heater controlls are cable operated on the RS and the 04 wrx

-tamper proof bolts suck and are a pain in the ass. there are 4 that hold the airbag ecu in place that have to be removed to get the dash rebar out. I really hate plastic connectors now, and think it will be challenging to remember where everything goes. I hope I dont have lots of left over bolts when im done

\

-removed the heater core and fan motor/box behind the dash. I had limited time before I had to go away for the long weekend, so I had to put a hold on progress until tuesday.

-got the hood fixed and painted. got the dings fixed and got the scoop painted up to match my 2 tone scheme.

Updated build thread
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

Im stuck.

So now I seem to be running into more and more problems with my swap wiring harness.

The 02rs has a seperate plug on the passenger side that unclips from the harness(that goes up front to the airbag impact sensor and the abs brake actuator) and the 04wrx harness is all one peice and connected right up to those parts (under the passenger fender liner). When I looked at the connector for the abs actuator it is different between the 02rs and 04wrx and wont plug in.
Aswell the stock 02rs harness goes along the front of the car, not ending at the actuator like the 04wrx harness does.
How do I get around this?

I also have 2 big plugs on the drivers side that come off the motor that I cannot find anything that plugs into them. I have fed the harness through the firewall and all plugs are out and there, but nothing that connects to them.

The wires that go along the door sill to the seat belts are also different plugs, so I checked and they are the same wires so I will have to cut the plug off my 02rs harness and solder it into the 04wrx harness to plug in and work.

I also seem to have extra wires because my engine/harness came out of a automatic wrx, not a 5spd. So there is no clutch cancel and some extra wires for the auto tranny.

Should I take the wrx harness back out of my car, and attempt to merge the 2 harnesses? take them home and cut and splice? would it make it easier?

or

Should I buy a 02-03 wrx engine wiring harness/dash wiring harness and swap that in (hoping it would be plug and play with the 04/05 ej20 motor)

Last edited by rs420; 05-25-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

Is there a way to find out what year car the motor/harness came out of? I was told by 2 people where I got it from, one said it was an 04, the other said it was a 05....

I think this might be where Im running into some problems...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

so I found out the abs pump is different between a manual tranny and auto tranny car. that sucks, so its either no abs, or find a manual tranny harness....
Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
Loomin
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118113
Vehicle:
98' Stagea 260RS
Autech Ver.

hate to say it but im 99% sure thats an 05 harness. you can tell because there are several small white plugs near the center section on the harness. these plug into the auto HVAC servos. Also, there are two large grey plugs with 20+ wires each right above the radio plug which is for the auto HVAC controller. so unless you can get an auto HVAC setup, youll need to rewire all of this too. its not as bad as you might think though because you can just reverse engineer the auto hvac system. youll need to cut back the harness and remove those small plugs. follow the wires back to the larger grey connectors and remove them one by one. what you have left should theoretically be the same number of wires that are connected to the 04 and prior manual hvac controls. you can cross reference between the 05 + diagram and the 02 and prior diagram. shouldnt be too bad

as for the ABS pump (module) connector, its the huge black plug behind the pass. headlamp. auto and manual ABS pumps are different. BUT charles has a spare auto ABS pump. theres a way to wire it up to work on a manual car. hit him up for that pump we will be installing an STI pump on his car. you just have to jump a couple wires to trick the ABS system into thinking its in an auto car and it should work *in theory*. its not super critical to the operation of the car but its always nice to have working ABS.

as for finding the other half of the SMJ harness, ill try to look for one too!

hope i was helpful
Loomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

You are the man Chris. You have helped me more than I can describe with my swap.

Thanks for your time and effort helping me source parts and lending me the few things I needed to get the car done and back on the road.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

had to pull the front bumper and headlights to remove all the wiring. the headlight plugs and marker light plugs are different between 02 & 04/05 so I have to cut and splice in my old plugs to work... unless I can run a 04-05 bulb in my stock housing

engine is all in, most all the components are installed and plugged in. dash beam is back in and half wired up. going to finish installing the dash tomorrow and do some more wiring work.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
rs420
surf ninja

Vehicle:
02 swapped bugeye
anthricite

AND she runs!! It got a bit tricky with the auto wiring in the harness (it was looking for a park or neutral signal) and I couldnt get any power to the starter. I traced the wiring and found the 2 wires, spliced them together and the car cranked right away. After priming the oil through to the turbo I fired it up! booya baby.
Thanks to Loomin who wired up my fuel pump controller.
It still has some kinks to be worked out. I need to rewire some stuff. The
-headlights/fog lights/turn signals (because harness is for 04, different headlights)
-speed sensor
-reverse lights
I had to use newer fans (didnt have to, but easier than rewiring my stock ones) to work with the 04 harness plugs. I had to rewire the mirror controls and abs sensor by the e-brake. Also had to rewire the plugs that went up by the seatbelts (seatbelt indicator and door switches)
My factory keyless entry also isnt working yet...
New clutch is butter smooth, will take some getting used to for sure. I fired it up with only the downpipe on, so it was loud but sounded sooo sexy.
a day or 2 more work and she should be ready to rock and roll

Last edited by rs420; 06-01-2010 at 09:31 PM.