Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17704
Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Default Fuel cell placement

Alrighty guys/gals, I have a 2009 STi that I'm building into a track/race car. I have a 15G ATL fuel cell that I'm putting in soon and need some opinions on placement.

The first idea is to mount it in the truck area, behind the rear suspension. Due to the length of the cell, I'd have to either a) mount it above the frame rails in the floor, or b) cut out the rear wall to move the cell back a few inches to allow it to be fully submerged into the floor. This would also mean it's not within 12" of the original tank (which violates some sanctioning body rules).

The second idea is to mount it where the stock tank sits, but it would have to be much higher (due the driveshaft/exhaust). The downsides to this are it being closer to the driver, and I'd have to setup some sort of external fill as climbing through the cage to refill it would be a pain.

This car is fully caged, btw..

Thoughts?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
MSI
Former Vendor

Member#: 95419
Chapter/Region: E. Canada

sell it and modify your OEM tank. Better weight placement and fit.
If not, sell it, and get the proper grpN kit that mounts in PLACE of the OEM tank.

-mark
MSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSI View Post
sell it and modify your OEM tank. Better weight placement and fit.
If not, sell it, and get the proper grpN kit that mounts in PLACE of the OEM tank.

-mark
Were money not an object, perhaps I would do that. As it is, this is what I have, and what's going in the car.

For reference, the group-n cell costs $9823, to get it from ATL directly.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Last edited by Quick; 05-26-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Web Foot STi
Scooby Guru

Member#: 39086
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

No help, but $10,000 is OUTCH. I'll hold your ankels...

Edit: We both know that a low CG and a short poler moment of inertia is good. Just mount the affordable cell as best you can. I'd go for low CG first.

Last edited by Web Foot STi; 05-26-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Web Foot STi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009

Member#: 68273
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car in progress

http://phoenixperformance.net/articl...ing%20Team.pdf

This article has pics of how SRRT mounted their cell. It's far back in the trunk, almost as far back as you can go, with a metal bulkhead separating it from the cockpit.
boost junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
MSI
Former Vendor

Member#: 95419
Chapter/Region: E. Canada

if you are not in a rush, I will show some pics of how we modify the OEM tanks ... give me 2 weeks to get something up?
-mark
MSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost junkie View Post

This article has pics of how SRRT mounted their cell. It's far back in the trunk, almost as far back as you can go, with a metal bulkhead separating it from the cockpit.

Nice!! It's also tilted, for the extra clearance the rear suspension needs. That's awesome.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSI View Post
if you are not in a rush, I will show some pics of how we modify the OEM tanks ... give me 2 weeks to get something up?
-mark
Sure, I'm not in a rush.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

surge tank

cheap, easy, effective and keeps the fuel weight lower and more centrally mounted (load changes between full and empty).
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
surge tank

cheap, easy, effective and keeps the fuel weight lower and more centrally mounted (load changes between full and empty).
I already have the fuel cell, and it has the built in surge tank as well.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Quote:

Did you happen to notice that the pics of the fuel cell has it canted towards the front of the car in the first picture, but in the underneath picture it seems to be tilted in the opposite direction?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Actually, that cell from Phoenix looks really small. The distance from the edge of the top plate to the front edge of the cell is really short. And the side only has 3 bolts holding it closed. That's probably why they don't have the fitment issues I have.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
Actually, that cell from Phoenix looks really small. The distance from the edge of the top plate to the front edge of the cell is really short. And the side only has 3 bolts holding it closed. That's probably why they don't have the fitment issues I have.
It's a 22 gallon cell so not small by any means. It looks like it's pretty deep to allow the other dimensions to be smaller. Better to sell yours and get one that fits properly rather than compromising CoG and/or driver safety to shoehorn something in that doesn't belong there.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

The current plan is to go with a mounting similar to this, with a proper bulkhead built to comply with the various rules.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

This is STi's Nurburgring 24hr car. It looks like it has a rear mounted cell as well (thought it doesn't look like it protrudes below the floor)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
boost junkie
Top Scoob 009

Vehicle:
2012 WRX
GD Race Car in progress

Theirs is actually mounted in place of the back seat, and it sits up pretty high. Personally, I would feel a little nervous with the fuel cell that close to me, even though it's covered with an aluminum shield.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

I don't know how you come up with these pictures, but you're freaking awesome! Thanks...

The nervous part is what makes me hesitant to mount it there as well. There's that, plus it's more difficult to refuel without a remote fill (mine currently has the standard fill top plate on it)

Last edited by Quick; 05-28-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Quick
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 STi
Silver

Check this out. It seems they changed that car around at some point.... From these pics you can see that the dry break is in a different location, and from looking through the window you can tell the fuel cell is behind the cage..

Perhaps they moved it???

Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #19
Web Foot STi
Scooby Guru

Member#: 39086
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
White

Quote:
Theirs is actually mounted in place of the back seat, and it sits up pretty high. Personally, I would feel a little nervous with the fuel cell that close to me, even though it's covered with an aluminum shield.

The nice thing about this mount is that the fuel cell is inside the cage. That's a biggy.
Web Foot STi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #20
DeatschWerks
NASIOC Manufacturer

Member#: 87358
Chapter/Region: TXIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Foot STi View Post
The nice thing about this mount is that the fuel cell is inside the cage. That's a biggy.
...and between the axles. Not a fan of having an ever-changing 100 lb weight outside of the rear axle.
DeatschWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #21
savsuby300
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 189232
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1995 Nissan 240SX
Dead in the shed.

That was my thoughts, that you would want the fuel cell as close to center as possible and as low as possible. I would put it in the backseat area so your handling doesn't change as much as on the back of the car. Just a thought.
savsuby300 is offline   Reply With Quote