Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Benjamos86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 402844
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L
Aqua Frost

Default New to subarus and nasioc

Hello all, just taking this time to introduce myself and say that I'm excited to start getting to know these cars a little better. I just bought a one owner 93 impreza L wagon, 5 spd thats in great shape. I guess because I am new I'm not able to post pics yet but its the aqua frost color, and all stock besides some coil overs and wheels. Love the car so far, it makes for a much more daily friendly car than my AE86. The a/c blows super cold, and I'm pretty sure it still uses r12! Anyway, if I can figure out how to post a pic I'll throw one on here.

The only complaint I have about this car, is sometimes it will idle super low and almost shut off when coming to idle until it really gets warmed up. It runs pretty well, a little stumbly in low rpms when still cold but nothing horrible by any means. So far I've cleaned the MAF, cleaned the iac, changed the pcv and plugs, I changed the coolant sensor for the ecu cause that was acting funny and changed the oil with rotella 5-40 synthetic. The air filter is brand new and the throttle body looked good too. Is this most likely a coil/plug wire thing? Last owner put autolite wires on the car and the coil looks OE at 172,xxx miles. I put NGK g-power plugs in it. Should i put different wires on it? Didn't think autolite was really ideal for imports.

Anyway, I've tried to do a lot of research before posting but figured I'd throw this up to see what anyone thinks. Thanks for looking!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Benjamos86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru

Member#: 268310
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

I can tell you, you've made one of the mods day. He'll be here shortly to say hi and congratulate you on your Subaru.

He may also be able to help diagnose the stumbling problem so hang tight.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
extransam
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 287109
Vehicle:
04 WRX 2.2 Hybrid
WRB

Welcome!! Some are friendly, most are pompous

I had the same issue as you, how "thoroughly" did you clean your IAC valve?

There is a quick way and there is a longer way which really gets all the crap out. The quick way did not fix it for me.

See this thread --> Cleaning And Reattaching The IACV (Idle Air Control Valve)

Hope this helps!
extransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
Benjamos86
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L
Aqua Frost

Thanks for the replies, I looked at that iac thread, and i gotta say that the iac on this 1.8 looks a lot different than the one in that thread. What was weird to me was mine has no coolant lines going to it. It's a round looking fellow attached on the passenger side of the throttle body. It just had a harness connection and two screws that held it to the throtte body. Is that what is called a "rotary style iac" or the "stepper motor" style? I know it wasn't the tps sensor I took off, it just threw me off cause it's a different style iac than I'm used to with the coolant lines going to them.
Anyhow, I pulled it off and sprayed it out throughly with carb cleaner, let it dry and put it back on (did this today). Seemed to help a little but didn't cure the problem. That's why I thought maybe the wires/ coil?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
dark hawk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 393025
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2009 wrx
93 Oct Stage I

"Anyway, I've tried to do a lot of research before posting"

I think you'll do just fine here.
dark hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Benjamos86
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L
Aqua Frost

Don't know if this will work from my phone but here is a link to a crappy picture

Last edited by Jack; 10-16-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Use the last link in your photobucket. That's what I just did.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Benjamos86
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L
Aqua Frost

Nice, thanks dude!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
ExHempKnight
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 403140
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Silver

Also new here, but have always heard there's a wealth of knowledgeable people here, if you know how to sift through the ones who aren't.

A fair number of my fellow Saturn tuners have turned to Subarus over the years.
ExHempKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator

Member#: 91347
Vehicle:
'13 XV Crosstrek,
1050 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo2011 View Post
I can tell you, you've made one of the mods day. He'll be here shortly to say hi and congratulate you on your Subaru.

He may also be able to help diagnose the stumbling problem so hang tight.
Are you referring to me? I had a Loyale, not an Impreza. And when I had that car, it was during college. It got its oil changes at the 10,000 mile mark. You think I know how to fix a rough idle??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHempKnight View Post
Also new here, but have always heard there's a wealth of knowledgeable people here, if you know how to sift through the ones who aren't.

A fair number of my fellow Saturn tuners have turned to Subarus over the years.
Very true, Mr. Knight.
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
Are you referring to me? I had a Loyale, not an Impreza. And when I had that car, it was during college. It got its oil changes at the 10,000 mile mark. You think I know how to fix a rough idle??!?
I was referring to you. I assumed the "L" in 93 Impreza L wagon stood for Loyale. At least that's what I understood from Wikipedia.

I quote.

"Introduced on March 1, 1993, the Impreza was offered in either front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD) versions and as a four-door sedan or five-door hatchback. According to a Motor Trend article written March 1992 on page 26, the name of Subaru's new compact was, initially, to be called the Loyale, displaying an official photograph of the four-door sedan."
Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
Loyale93
Newbie Moderator

Member#: 91347
Vehicle:
'13 XV Crosstrek,
1050 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
I was referring to you. I assumed the "L" in 93 Impreza L wagon stood for Loyale. At least that's what I understood from Wikipedia.

I quote.

"Introduced on March 1, 1993, the Impreza was offered in either front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD) versions and as a four-door sedan or five-door hatchback. According to a Motor Trend article written March 1992 on page 26, the name of Subaru's new compact was, initially, to be called the Loyale, displaying an official photograph of the four-door sedan."
Initially to be called the Loyale... Meaning it was not actually called the Loyale.

"By 1990 the Leone name continued to be used in Japan but was now known as the Loyale in Chile, the United States and Canada, the L-Series in Europe and Australia and as the Omega in New Zealand where the third generation was the last to be assembled locally by Motor Holdings at Waitara"
Loyale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

So it is the Loyale in the U.S.?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
CTscooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 397425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamos86 View Post
Hello all, just taking this time to introduce myself and say that I'm excited to start getting to know these cars a little better. I just bought a one owner 93 impreza L wagon, 5 spd thats in great shape. I guess because I am new I'm not able to post pics yet but its the aqua frost color, and all stock besides some coil overs and wheels. Love the car so far, it makes for a much more daily friendly car than my AE86. The a/c blows super cold, and I'm pretty sure it still uses r12! Anyway, if I can figure out how to post a pic I'll throw one on here.

The only complaint I have about this car, is sometimes it will idle super low and almost shut off when coming to idle until it really gets warmed up. It runs pretty well, a little stumbly in low rpms when still cold but nothing horrible by any means. So far I've cleaned the MAF, cleaned the iac, changed the pcv and plugs, I changed the coolant sensor for the ecu cause that was acting funny and changed the oil with rotella 5-40 synthetic. The air filter is brand new and the throttle body looked good too. Is this most likely a coil/plug wire thing? Last owner put autolite wires on the car and the coil looks OE at 172,xxx miles. I put NGK g-power plugs in it. Should i put different wires on it? Didn't think autolite was really ideal for imports.

Anyway, I've tried to do a lot of research before posting but figured I'd throw this up to see what anyone thinks. Thanks for looking!
Nice wagon, I like the color and the wheels. Welcome to the community!

Is it falling on its face and not gaining any power after a certain point like 2-3k rpms or something similar? If so, it needs plugs and wires. So you might need new wires

Quote:
So it is the Loyale in the U.S.?
In 1990, the Leone came to be known as the Loyale in Chile, U.S. and Canada. They were produced from 1971-1994. The Leone was produced before the Impreza. Therefore, it is the predecessor of the Impreza. The Impreza began being produced as a replacement for the Leone/Loyale. So, no the model he owns is not known as the Loyale in the U.S. It is a completely different compact car. It is known as an Impreza LX Wagon.

Last edited by CTscooby; 11-06-2014 at 03:07 PM.
CTscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTscooby View Post
Nice wagon, I like the wheels. Welcome to the community!

In 1990, the Leone came to be known as the Loyale in Chile, U.S. and Canada. They were produced from 1971-1994. The Leone was produced before the Impreza. Therefore, it is the predecessor of the Impreza. The Impreza began being produced as a replacement for the Leone/Loyale. So, no the model he owns is not known as the Loyale in the U.S. It is a completely different compact car. It is known as an Impreza LX Wagon.
Got it. Thank you.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #16
Benjamos86
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L
Aqua Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTscooby View Post
Nice wagon, I like the color and the wheels. Welcome to the community!

Is it falling on its face and not gaining any power after a certain point like 2-3k rpms or something similar? If so, it needs plugs and wires. So you might need new wires

Thanks! I wouldn't say it falls on its face at all and it doesn't lose power, it really barely stumbles only when its really cold which I would say is normal for cars this old. I only notice it because I'm anal like that, no else who rides in the cars seems to notice it. The car was extremely well taken care of before I got it and I have a stack of service records dating back to 1998. What concerns me more is how it develops a low idle when the engine is in between being cold and fully warmed up. It will only do this one time though when I come to a stop sign. After doing it one time, from then on it will idle fine. Its quite strange to be honest. Since last posting in this thread I changed the O2 sensor which seemed to help but did not fully cure the problem. So I ordered OEM Wires for the car hoping this will finally cure the issue. Currently my wife and I are in Germany for the holidays so when I return I will be changing the crappy autolite wires someone put on the car to the OEM ones. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix it!

Then come this January, I will be doing a turbo. Nothing too crazy though, with the stock heads I'm going to limit boost to 5 psi. So it shouldn't be quite the turd it is once its all done!

Last edited by Loyale93; 12-24-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: helping