Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default Questions about NOT using subframe spacers with Whiteline ALK

I remember a thread from back at the dawn of NABISCO in which a bunch of us were discussing the possibility of installing a Whiteline ALK and NOT using the included spacers to lower the subframe. My memory of this is VERY foggy, but, IIRC, the issue was that the transverse links would collide with the subframe at full droop. Is that correct? I also seem to remember that there was a way to fix this issue with a hammer and that pictures of same were provided. Does anyone remember that part?


Really, this is mostly a question for the old crew like Arnie, Mike, and Pat because I think they're the only ones from that era still posting
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

just cut the bloody bleeding useless U brace OFF so it wont hit and be bleeding done with it

I have done this and it works great
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Arnie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 1725
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
99 Subaru Impreza
GF silver

Default

Don't have a better picture than this:



The spacers primarily prevent the ALK itself and thus the control arm too from fouling against the u-brace. If you insist (i.e. need the clearance) break out the BFH and hammer along the sections directly underneath the ALK and a bit forward of it to give the control arm some clearance. Just be aware that you'll probably be squashing the u-brace down to around half its normal height to get it to fit.

or, As Scotty suggests, remove it entirely!

Last edited by Arnie; 04-07-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #4
fastwrx25
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 126441
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: TPE
Vehicle:
03 bugeye

Default

I actually think he means to just cut a foot, or however long is needed at the ends of the frame, so it can't hit anything, and install it without the spacers.
fastwrx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwrx25 View Post
I actually think he means to just cut a foot, or however long is needed at the ends of the frame, so it can't hit anything, and install it without the spacers.
...or remove it and install an 'h' brace and enjoy the front end being 20 pounds lighter

move the battery and it's almost 60 pounds lighter

put a light bumper beam on and its 80 pounds lighter


and THAT 80 pounds off the front is a MIRACLE for the GD

****can the GBOD and that is another 10 pounds, or so, and a couple other bits

and you have taken 100 pounds off the front

amazing
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
fastwrx25
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 126441
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: TPE
Vehicle:
03 bugeye

Default

^^I was going to suggest to williaty to just take off the stock subframe and put on a h brace with spacer for the front mounting spots too, but didn't want to insult williaty's suspension intelligence.


but yeah,loosing 60-100 lbs off the nose drastically changes how the car handles, snaps around, and even when riding over crappy roads(less bobbling in the front!)
fastwrx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

H-brace won't work, it's NA.

Owner doesn't want to lose the crash safety of the u-brace.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
H-brace won't work, it's NA.

Owner doesn't want to lose the crash safety of the u-brace.
owner is an idiot....the car is still safe without it

they didnt even put then on other market cars....JUST usa....until 2005



lowering the car AT ALL is more dangerous than many think it is.....more so than taking that stupid u brace off, I'd bet
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

The car isn't lowered at all. And that subframe was the only disclosed change the rear the Impreza went from a 4 to a 5 star offset frontal rating. The difference in occupant outcome between a 4 and a 5 star is HUGE.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Geeoff
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 106439
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Manchester, NH
Vehicle:
06 WRX TR
'05 Matrix XRS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwrx25 View Post
I actually think he means to just cut a foot, or however long is needed at the ends of the frame, so it can't hit anything, and install it without the spacers.
This is what I did. I cut off the rear section, and use it in conjunction with an h-brace. I thought about pounding the crap out of it with a bfh, but thought this would be a cleaner solution.
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
The car isn't lowered at all. And that subframe was the only disclosed change the rear the Impreza went from a 4 to a 5 star offset frontal rating. The difference in occupant outcome between a 4 and a 5 star is HUGE.



****wimps wanna mod a car and then cry about safety

****wimps

and 'huge' is less than you think
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post



****wimps wanna mod a car and then cry about safety

****wimps

and 'huge' is less than you think
1) You're still an immense *******
2) Look at the specs for pedal incursion between 4 and 5. It's the difference between "probably walked out of the car" and "probably in traction and rehab for most of a year". If you think the difference between 4 and 5 isn't important, go drive a 1-star car, you deserve it.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
fastwrx25
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 126441
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: TPE
Vehicle:
03 bugeye

Default

One Love, One Heart
Let's get together and feel all right.
smooches...
fastwrx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwrx25 View Post
One Love, One Heart
Let's get together and feel all right.
smooches...
ewwwwwww SCIC cooties!
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
1) You're still an immense *******
2) Look at the specs for pedal incursion between 4 and 5. It's the difference between "probably walked out of the car" and "probably in traction and rehab for most of a year". If you think the difference between 4 and 5 isn't important, go drive a 1-star car, you deserve it.
bah....wimp
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
Arnie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 1725
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
99 Subaru Impreza
GF silver

Default

Its too bad NASIOC doesn't have a delete comments/user like Facebook. I think Scott would be the first on most people's list to be deleted.

I prefer the peace of mind of the extra crash protection in keeping the u-brace and am not bothered at all by it being lowered a bit from the ALK or the extra weight. Full size battery and USDM bumper beam too!

Ty, are you having clearance issues at your current ride height? Or do you want the extra inch at the rear? I've always run a Primitive front skid plate on my car. Its a nice piece of extra security.
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
flstffxe
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155358
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Vehicle:
2008 Forester
Steel Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Its too bad NASIOC doesn't have a delete comments/user like Facebook. I think Scott would be the first on most people's list to be deleted. ...
There is:
- User Control Panel(CP)
- Under Settings and Options select Edit Ignore List
- Add members name
flstffxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
Arnie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 1725
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Germany
Vehicle:
99 Subaru Impreza
GF silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flstffxe View Post
There is:
- User Control Panel(CP)
- Under Settings and Options select Edit Ignore List
- Add members name
Nice! Hmmmmm.....

I'm surprised someone hasn't started a campaign to "Ignore UncleScotty". A depth of technical knowledge is great, but it helps no one if its delivered with belligerence. I'll just continue to shake my head and try to ignore him.

Ok, tried it out. Not as good as in FB but its a start i guess. You can still see he posts and when someone quotes him, it shows up. Ah well.
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I prefer the peace of mind of the extra crash protection in keeping the u-brace and am not bothered at all by it being lowered a bit from the ALK or the extra weight. Full size battery and USDM bumper beam too!

Ty, are you having clearance issues at your current ride height? Or do you want the extra inch at the rear? I've always run a Primitive front skid plate on my car. Its a nice piece of extra security.
No, on my car, I've got it spaced down and it's not a big deal for me. The guy I'm working with on this one doesn't want it spaced down on his car because he doesn't want to lose the clearance height for off road stuff.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
T-dub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 244480
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
'07 WRX TR
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty
1) You're still an immense *******
2) Look at the specs for pedal incursion between 4 and 5. It's the difference between "probably walked out of the car" and "probably in traction and rehab for most of a year". If you think the difference between 4 and 5 isn't important, go drive a 1-star car, you deserve it.
He didn't say it wasn't important, he said it wasn't huge...and that you were a *****.

{that's what she said}

Do you have an aluminum bumper beam? How about aluminum fender cowls? Well don't worry about getting them, I'm sure that flimsy ass piece of dead wait will save you from an offset head-on collision. Of course being able to turn just slightly will too.
T-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #21
A-man07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271525
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BagEnd
Vehicle:
07 STi
424whp/382wtq GT3076

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-dub View Post
He didn't say it wasn't important, he said it wasn't huge...and that you were a *****.

{that's what she said}

Do you have an aluminum bumper beam? How about aluminum fender cowls? Well don't worry about getting them, I'm sure that flimsy ass piece of dead wait will save you from an offset head-on collision. Of course being able to turn just slightly will too.
Come on man, really...to try and belittle one of the forums most prominent and giving members is completely uncalled for. Besides, the subframe is anything but flimsy and perhaps you should have your credentials checked if you don't believe it'll do the job it was intended for. And it's "weight."
A-man07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
T-dub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 244480
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
'07 WRX TR
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man07

Come on man, really...to try and belittle one of the forums most prominent and giving members is completely uncalled for. Besides, the subframe is anything but flimsy and perhaps you should have your credentials checked if you don't believe it'll do the job it was intended for. And it's "weight."
I wasn't really belittling so much as patronizing. I cant help it, I'm an engineer. In all seriousness though, there are lots of mods that affect the crumple zone. They all have more or less unknown affect on crash rating. I'd say most of them prolly make it go down (aluminum didn't crumple so good). Subaru was always on the cusp of a 5 star rating. The sub frame pushed them over the top.

If you come down off that cross, I'll help you make you a subframe out of wood.

I can't wait.
T-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
A-man07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 271525
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BagEnd
Vehicle:
07 STi
424whp/382wtq GT3076

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-dub View Post
I wasn't really belittling so much as patronizing. I cant help it, I'm an engineer. In all seriousness though, there are lots of mods that affect the crumple zone. They all have more or less unknown affect on crash rating. I'd say most of them prolly make it go down (aluminum didn't crumple so good). Subaru was always on the cusp of a 5 star rating. The sub frame pushed them over the top.
So, in other words, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-dub View Post
If you come down off that cross, I'll help you make you a subframe out of wood.

I can't wait.
My place or yours?
A-man07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #24
T-dub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 244480
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
'07 WRX TR
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man07

So, in other words, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

My place or yours?
In those exact words: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yours.

I still can't weight. ;-P
T-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

It always kills me that people want to modify their cars and then cry about safety and ride and nvh and fuel mileage and all that kind of thing....
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grimmspeed MBC installation using EWG.... No im not stupid...read more inside ScooByBooSt007 Newbies & FAQs 20 08-03-2011 07:23 PM
FS : whiteline ALK kit caesar Suspension/Brakes/Handling 3 04-19-2011 06:36 PM
JDM V7 axels work on V8 Hubs? jason12085 Subaru Conversions 1 04-11-2011 04:05 AM
Is google using Subarus now for Street View? anarchyburger General Community 14 04-06-2011 10:33 PM
question about aem cai Eman24 Newbies & FAQs 8 04-06-2011 07:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.