Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
alexei
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54016
Vehicle:
2000 outback

Question Is HG blown? OB 2000, doesn't leak but overheats sporadically

What's your verdict?

Although it is Phase II engine it exhibits HG problems attributed to Phase I.

Data : 2000 Outback with 2.5 engine, 112K miles.

Symptoms:
1. sporadic and instant (from mid to red in 10 sec) engine overheating on long (over 2 hours) runs, especially in mountains; coolant boils out;
2. otherwise, no coolant leaks visible or coolant loss.
3. strong smells in engine compartment after stopping gets inside.
4. donít know if there is oil in coolant, hard to tell, but it is not crystal clean, changed coolant with conditioner, didnít help.
5. gas anylizer (smog check station) read : HC, ppm Ė 78.
6. some residual pressure is evident upon opening radiator cap even after 4 hours of parking.

Leading factors:
1. No problems till I brought it for timing belt (water pump, other belts) change to a AAA rated shop. I asked how much coolant they replaced, they said very little ~1 liter, so I didnít put any extra WP99 conditioner as I was going to replace coolant anyway. Although later I found shop billed me $15 for coolant.
2. a week after on steep slow accent car overheated; stopped let it cool down, continued without issues.
3. another week after, upon exiting highway (70 MPH speed) after 5-10 min of slow city street speeds (20-30), car overheated; stopped, let it cool down, continued without issues.
4. one of the belts (alternator?) pulleyís was making noise at low RPM; brought car back to the shop, they fixed it.
5. the next day inspected engine compartment, found a radiatorís fan not connected; 2nd one was working OK; connected the fan; both work.
6. replaced the coolant and WP99 conditioner.
7. car overheated 3 days after after 2.5 hours highway drive, 40 min after acceding the mountain pass.
8. car overheat almost every prolonged highway drive over 2.5 hours; below that is fine.

tech that done gas anylizer thinks it is radiator problem...I don't believe in that.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Sounds like a HG. The early Phase IIs were nearly as susceptible to the problem as the Phase Is, to the point that Subaru issued a TSB covering the '99-02 EJ25s. The HGs on my father's 2000 Outback wagon went twice, I believe, in a bit over 100k miles (just as an example of how common it can be).

Pat Olsen
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
TurboGuyPDX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 170856
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1991 SS "the Clone"
TopScoob007+livestrong14

A slow leak from the water pump and a defective water pump will cause these symptoms. Its not possible to see the lower external weep hole with out removing the water pump. Look at the water pump area and t-belt cover near it very carefully. The SOHC are not known for piston orifice head gasket failure, but they do degrade over time to weep at both the oil passage and water jackets sealing surfaces of the HG. In the case of a piston orifice HG failure, coolant is pressurized out of the combustion chambers and directly into the coolant passages. I would look very hard at RE-replacing the water pump. It is also possible that the belt tension at the water pump is wrong, like possibly not pulling the pin out of the tensioner after install.
TurboGuyPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
alexei
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 outback

update...it were HGs.

i've done engine block test and it has shown gasses in coolant.

after that I got SOA involved;... dealer removed the head and found HGs were blown.

SOA 50% shared labor and provided HGs, dealer helped a bit as well and I have the car back already.

found water pump making rubbing noises, so it is replaced along with thermostat.

cannot verifiably say the problem went away till I take it for a long camping trip to Sierra.

but i have seen HGs, they were blown, so I am highly positive it is fixed now.

i'm happy with how SOA and dealer handled it.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Sounds like they did you right. I'd be pretty happy with that deal, too.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Tessai
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 214184
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy Outback
White

I'm a little confused here, did you just purchase the car from a dealer? I'm shocked SOA got involved on a 10 year old car.
Tessai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
alexei
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessai View Post
I'm a little confused here, did you just purchase the car from a dealer? I'm shocked SOA got involved on a 10 year old car.
nope, I did not.

if you read more threads here, you'll find out SOA does it for customers with HGs subject to previous recall. nothing wrong with helping a customer who has to deal with faulty HG.