Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
wht07sti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144996
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: leftcoast
Vehicle:
2007 sti
swp

Default Spring Clean Advice My 07 STI SWP detail domain plaese chime in

So the time has come, the end of winter and i get to do a very detailed clean on my satin white pearl sti. i have had the car since early 07 and have done a good job taking care of it, but honestly i am a newbie when it comes to waxing and polishing. the car has had a clay bar and wax/polish before but its been at least 1 year so figure its deff time. This time howveer i decided i want to start doing it on my own that way i save some cash 100+ for a detail a few+ times adds up.

So basically i was wondering the best route to take in giving my car a thorough clean for less than $75 or so. What do i need and what game plan should i follow?

A few areas in my opinion really need attention; the black trim around the car including the vain spoiler to the black section under the window wipers being the first it all just seems likes its kinda fading, how can i adress this issue??? The second being my flat black bbs they also seem like they are getting a little grey, they just lost that pop over the last few months. i really like a flat opposed to gloss finish. how should i do them???

Your help and oppinions are greatly appreciated thank you and i hope you all are enjoying this great day wherever you are.

best regards, cameron
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wht07sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
CheapShot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227731
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2004 Ford Crown Vic
Police Interceptor

Default

Cleaning your car should consist of two buckets with grit guards in them and use a good quality sponge or mitt. Clay bar after washing while using a quick detailer spray or something else to lubricate the clay. You can decide whether you want to wash the car again afterwards to remove any excess clay left behind. From there you can decide whether your finish is in need of polishing or not. If not, then reapply a wax or sealant and you're good. If you see imperfections you'd like to remove then a rotary/orbital machine with the proper pads and compound/polish will be necessary to remove them. You'll want to remove dust from polishing before you follow up with a wax or sealant.

As far as addressing the black trim, I would use something like this to get the black color back. http://www.detailersdomain.com/black...mdressing.aspx

Not too sure what you can do about your wheels. If they were spray painted I would just respray them. If powdercoated then you should be able to hand polish them back to near original.

I am no expert but this is info I have learned while reading detailing threads on here and watching how to videos.
CheapShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
wht07sti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144996
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: leftcoast
Vehicle:
2007 sti
swp

Default

thankyou for your help. the wheels were powder coated and when you say hand polish what do you exactly mean? and also what if i dont have a rotary/orbital?
wht07sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

its summer by the way =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by wht07sti View Post
So the time has come, the end of winter and i get to do a very detailed clean on my satin white pearl sti. i have had the car since early 07 and have done a good job taking care of it, but honestly i am a newbie when it comes to waxing and polishing. the car has had a clay bar and wax/polish before but its been at least 1 year so figure its deff time. This time howveer i decided i want to start doing it on my own that way i save some cash 100+ for a detail a few+ times adds up.

So basically i was wondering the best route to take in giving my car a thorough clean for less than $75 or so. What do i need and what game plan should i follow?
$75 is more than enough for supplies which should last you for at least a few details. if you ask what products you should use there is no wrong answer really. i personally end up using meguiar because it is readily available at most places and it never disappointed me. you need lots of clean microfibers. the microtex ones available at walmart have increased in quality from years ago. $5 for a small 8 pack. and get some foam applicators. (nxt 2.0 comes with one). dedicate an applicator per product. so polish will have its own applicator. pick up a cheap applicator for tire dressing too.

1. wash
2. clay
3. wipe down car well of clay residue (clean microfibers + detailer)
4. polish (UC or Swirl X)
5. wax (nxt 2.0)

sidenote: i clean my microfibers separately. run in washing machine in normal cycle with hot water using normal detergent. no additives or bleach or similar. then pop in dryer dont use a dryer sheet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wht07sti View Post
A few areas in my opinion really need attention; the black trim around the car including the vain spoiler to the black section under the window wipers being the first it all just seems likes its kinda fading, how can i adress this issue??? The second being my flat black bbs they also seem like they are getting a little grey, they just lost that pop over the last few months. i really like a flat opposed to gloss finish. how should i do them???
there are trim cleaners/restorers. black wow is one of them as previously linked. some are dyes and some work better than others. back to black by mothers i hear does not work well. meguiar makes one as well but i have yet to try it. let me know what you end up using because im planning to do this soon.

Last edited by jxkim; 06-24-2010 at 06:47 PM.
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Noek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206316
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Aliso Viejo, Ca.
Vehicle:
2009 STI StageII
OBP

Default

The result of using Black Wow seems to be more visual as opposed to being a protectant. This is just my opinion from having used it.

It really does a great job restoring faded trim close to it's original color but I am not sure as to the longevity of the protection it provides.

I always have a love/hate experience whenever I use it. I spend more time cleaning it off of areas where I don't want it than applying in place that I do
Noek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
wht07sti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144996
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: leftcoast
Vehicle:
2007 sti
swp

Default

So I tried back to black lat night and it deff brought everything back to life especially the roof vane spoiler. Let's see how it holds up though!

Should I uses some 303 aero on top of it????
wht07sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

i think any wax would help prolong protection of the trim. main complain of back to black was that it didnt last and they had to reapply it weekly.
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noek View Post
The result of using Black Wow seems to be more visual as opposed to being a protectant. This is just my opinion from having used it.

It really does a great job restoring faded trim close to it's original color but I am not sure as to the longevity of the protection it provides.

I always have a love/hate experience whenever I use it. I spend more time cleaning it off of areas where I don't want it than applying in place that I do
I got a little bottle of Black Wow (they should call it WOW for the price) and the thing that I found it does really well is remove wax and old gunk off trim. It does a good job of removing oxidation from plastic as well.

Afterwards for maintenance I simply hit up my wife's xc70 wagon (huge expanses of plastic body trim) with 303 and it seems to last longer and look better.
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
imprezaL2345
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108188
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VB yo.
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L 1.8T
Lotus Storm Titanium

Default

An awesome bit of advice i picked up from autopia was using a Magic Eraser(white side) on the black trim. Gets all of the white residue from wax as well as dirt off. After you use the wet Magic Eraser on it, go back with a microfiber and wipe it off. It'll look pretty close to perfect. Strongly suggest trying this out.

If you want to after, go back with a black to black product if you prefer a bit of shine to it. I like the natural look though
imprezaL2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezaL2345 View Post
An awesome bit of advice i picked up from autopia was using a Magic Eraser(white side) on the black trim. Gets all of the white residue from wax as well as dirt off. After you use the wet Magic Eraser on it, go back with a microfiber and wipe it off. It'll look pretty close to perfect. Strongly suggest trying this out.

If you want to after, go back with a black to black product if you prefer a bit of shine to it. I like the natural look though
have you actually tried it? and isnt the magic eraser all white? i am thinking about the mr clean product...
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #11
imprezaL2345
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108188
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VB yo.
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L 1.8T
Lotus Storm Titanium

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
have you actually tried it? and isnt the magic eraser all white? i am thinking about the mr clean product...
yeah, i did it today actually. worked amazingly well on the black trim of our Z3. The magic erasers i have, have a blue side as well. Try it and i guaranty you will get results
imprezaL2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
Airplay355
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 213825
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southern Maine
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

I think the blue side of the magic erases is stiffer/rougher. The white side is spongy and soft.
Airplay355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
jefmcc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42303
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
have you actually tried it? and isnt the magic eraser all white? i am thinking about the mr clean product...

Not that I keep trying to pimp my old thread but it shows the result of the Magic Eraser trim restore method.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1301008
jefmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #14
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

wow i am sold. i wonder if the magic eraser will work on dust brake. normal cleaners dont work on my wheels. i have yet to try sonax but maybe i will use the old eraser after using it on trim. thanks
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

Have you tried bug and tar remover followed by a good coat of wax?

What kind of wheels do you have?
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
jefmcc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42303
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
wow i am sold. i wonder if the magic eraser will work on dust brake. normal cleaners dont work on my wheels. i have yet to try sonax but maybe i will use the old eraser after using it on trim. thanks

The magic eraser is abrasive, I wouldn't use it on anything with a shiny finish, including wheels. It's great for cleaning rubber trim and textured plastic. Keep it away from your paint and shiney plastic trim.

Try the sonax. If that doesn't work, there are strong chemicals that will take care of the brake dust. Either way, be prepared to use a little elbow grease to get stubborn brake dust off. I get in there with a tooth brush to do mine. Once you get the wheels clean, be sure to seal them with a strong wax or sealant. Makes them much easier to clean next time.
jefmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #17
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
Have you tried bug and tar remover followed by a good coat of wax?

What kind of wheels do you have?
i have the stock wrx 16" rims. they are a bitch to clean because of the spokes. does the bug/tar remover work better than wheel cleaners? because i have tried spraying wheel cleaner on multiple times leaving it on for at least 10-15 minutes each time. then of course coming back by hand trying to agitate it.
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #18
btrial
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251018
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
sidenote: i clean my microfibers separately. run in washing machine in normal cycle with hot water using normal detergent. no additives or bleach or similar. then pop in dryer dont use a dryer sheet.

No do not wash anything that is going to touch your car with normal laundry detergent, use you car wash soap, extra rinse.
btrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #19
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrial View Post
No do not wash anything that is going to touch your car with normal laundry detergent, use you car wash soap, extra rinse.
....the key is to use detergents that are clean rinsing and(obviously) effective at removing product/contaminants from the material.
Car wash soaps are generally mild and not effective product removers. ....if they were, they wouldn't much use as car wash soaps. APC's, MF-specific detergents, clean rinsing soaps/detergents are a better bet.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

^ you cant use car wash soap as Kean said for said reasons. i dont know where you picked up that rule btrial but you have some backwards thinking. my method is tried and works fine. what Kean is saying is car wash solution is made to not remove your wax (i.e. product) and similar.
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
07 sti SWP spoiler seanathanq83 TXIC Private Classifieds 3 02-24-2010 04:35 PM
detail setup please chime in wht07sti Car Care & Detailing 21 09-19-2009 03:16 PM
Just finished detailing my 07 STi.... DC5edSTI Member's Car Gallery 17 08-05-2009 11:59 AM
Fs 07 Sti Swp wrxsubaruwrx Tri-State Area Private Classifieds 69 02-20-2009 04:48 PM
O.C. people. who can do my springs on my 07 sti? Blackout713 Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 22 01-20-2009 12:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.