Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
goalie_pilot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175436
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i 5-Door
Newport Blue

Default AC Compressor Clutch Failed

Loving this.. The car is just barely out of warranty and stuff like this starts happening..



How common is this sort of thing?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
goalie_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
etothen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 221885
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
09 Ivory Tower
Ivory...duh

Default

I have an 09 that I run the AC most of the time, no problem here at 28.5k miles.
etothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Imprezzedwitsubies
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 216116
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa, FL
Vehicle:
09 Impreza 2.5I
14' Triumph America

Default

The A/C went out on my 09'. It was making this zipping sound and the unit was whining in sync with the revs.
Imprezzedwitsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
goalie_pilot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175436
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i 5-Door
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezzedwitsubies View Post
The A/C went out on my 09'. It was making this zipping sound and the unit was whining in sync with the revs.
That's exactly what mine was doing before this happened. Took it into a dealership and they said the sound was normal.
goalie_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
goalie_pilot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175436
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i 5-Door
Newport Blue

Default

They ended up doing a goodwill repair on the unit. The new compressor and clutch is much more beefy than the old one.
goalie_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Drew12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 218453
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Dark Grey Metalic

Default

I have the exact same compressor damage on my '09 at 16k miles.
Took it into the dealer Friday the 16th and was told that a new compressor was needed. They ordered it and should be able to install this coming week.
It started as a whining noise and then quit completely on the freeway when it was 100 deg out. needless to say the last few days have been on hot sweaty drive.
Seems they may have a bad batch of compressors out there.
Thankfully its under warranty ( I think )

This is the first car I've had in 10 12 yrs thats need a repair of any kind....hhmmm...
Drew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
goalie_pilot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175436
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i 5-Door
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew12 View Post
I have the exact same compressor damage on my '09 at 16k miles.
Took it into the dealer Friday the 16th and was told that a new compressor was needed. They ordered it and should be able to install this coming week.
It started as a whining noise and then quit completely on the freeway when it was 100 deg out. needless to say the last few days have been on hot sweaty drive.
Seems they may have a bad batch of compressors out there.
Thankfully its under warranty ( I think )

This is the first car I've had in 10 12 yrs thats need a repair of any kind....hhmmm...
That is strange that this seems to be a fairly common failure and the failure mode is the same for all of us.

This is the 4th major repair that this car has needed since I bought it new in 08.
1. Almost immediately after getting the car I noticed the clock/mpg display would flicker constantly when the dash got hot after being in the sun. Replaced clock unit under warranty.
2. Replaced both reverse light modules because they had completely filled with water after a pretty decent snow storm in which the car was outside for it.
3. Replaced right rear window regulator because the thing all of a sudden would barely move.
4. This repair.

All of the repairs were under warranty except for the last one where SOA did a goodwill repair for me.

My car sure did last a long time with a messed up compressor/clutch (don't know which actually was the problem) it seems. It had been doing it since at least summer of 09 and that was about 10,000 miles ago I'd say. Sucker held on for a long time. All the while the local dealership told me the noise was a normal subaru a/c noise. Idiots...
goalie_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Drew12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 218453
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Dark Grey Metalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie_pilot View Post
That is strange that this seems to be a fairly common failure and the failure mode is the same for all of us.

This is the 4th major repair that this car has needed since I bought it new in 08.
1. Almost immediately after getting the car I noticed the clock/mpg display would flicker constantly when the dash got hot after being in the sun. Replaced clock unit under warranty.
2. Replaced both reverse light modules because they had completely filled with water after a pretty decent snow storm in which the car was outside for it.
3. Replaced right rear window regulator because the thing all of a sudden would barely move.
4. This repair.

All of the repairs were under warranty except for the last one where SOA did a goodwill repair for me.

My car sure did last a long time with a messed up compressor/clutch (don't know which actually was the problem) it seems. It had been doing it since at least summer of 09 and that was about 10,000 miles ago I'd say. Sucker held on for a long time. All the while the local dealership told me the noise was a normal subaru a/c noise. Idiots...
Sorry to hear about the problems you've had
. Now that I'm hearing this.....crud..do I need to buy the extended warranty? And here I thought they were very reliable.

Last edited by Drew12; 07-17-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Drew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Drew12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 218453
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Dark Grey Metalic

Default

The dealer replaced the AC compressor today. works like a champ/ best part is it was 100 under warranty ( as it should be at only 16k miles).
Only difference is the new unit is silver, the old was black.
Drew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
goalie_pilot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175436
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i 5-Door
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew12 View Post
The dealer replaced the AC compressor today. works like a champ/ best part is it was 100 under warranty ( as it should be at only 16k miles).
Only difference is the new unit is silver, the old was black.
The compressor was black or the clutch was black?
goalie_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Imprezzedwitsubies
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 216116
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa, FL
Vehicle:
09 Impreza 2.5I
14' Triumph America

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie_pilot View Post
That's exactly what mine was doing before this happened. Took it into a dealership and they said the sound was normal.
So basically i gotta wait till the unit fails before I fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew12 View Post
Sorry to hear about the problems you've had
. Now that I'm hearing this.....crud..do I need to buy the extended warranty? And here I thought they were very reliable.
Why? It's just an A/C compressor. A/C fails on new and old cars when its hot lol
Imprezzedwitsubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Drew12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 218453
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Mission Viejo, Ca
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Dark Grey Metalic

Default

I think the old unit was completely black. New all silver.

And an AC unit is only seldome used. The average temp here this summer is around 70-75, and I switch it on only to cool the car for a moment. So not like it has been working overtime.
I do understand the things break. So I think no big deal.
However, this is my first repair of any kind in my last 4 cars. All bought new, driven to 90k and traded.
Hence, the Question, extended warranty advised? The compressor would have been $600 according to the dealer.
Drew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
goalie_pilot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175436
Join Date: Mar 2008
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i 5-Door
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew12 View Post
I think the old unit was completely black. New all silver.

And an AC unit is only seldome used. The average temp here this summer is around 70-75, and I switch it on only to cool the car for a moment. So not like it has been working overtime.
I do understand the things break. So I think no big deal.
However, this is my first repair of any kind in my last 4 cars. All bought new, driven to 90k and traded.
Hence, the Question, extended warranty advised? The compressor would have been $600 according to the dealer.
Yeah my old clutch was black and flimsy looking. This new one is silver and looks much stronger.

If I had known about the pattern of repairs that my car has needed I think I would have considered an extended warranty. Now I'm just like whatever, at this point the car's just getting into that aging car phase.
goalie_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
FLZ_Boy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186303
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So. Cal
Vehicle:
2011 Legacy 2.5i 6MT
SPW

Default

I had to change out my AC unit after 16k miles with only 3 months of occassional use. Just as others stated, the new unit looks beefier and "silver." Once you start hearing the a winding sound on your AC unit matching your revs, it's going to blow up and you'll hear a metalic clattering noise.

I did have my AC unit replaced under warranty with no problems at least.
FLZ_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AC Compressor Clutch Replacement? DriftinS14 Service & Maintenance 32 11-20-2013 11:48 AM
Does your AC compressor clutch ALWAYS spin freely? krazy Service & Maintenance 3 01-22-2010 11:52 PM
WTB: 1995 AC Compressor Clutch awaken101 Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 1 04-25-2009 09:04 AM
AC compressor clutch / compressor smeghead Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 11 10-01-2007 12:53 PM
For sale Sti Top Mount, 5 speed tranny, Exedy Clutch, Ac Compressor, Wing, etc. snowcrzy SCIC Private Classifieds 9 07-13-2006 11:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.