Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Seahawk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71665
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Wilmington, NC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza
w/ 03 WRX Swap

Default labor time guide?

Can anyone point me towards a (free) labor time guide for auto repair? I've checked my local libraries and online, but to no avail. I'm doing some work for a friend and want to charge based off the Chilton's or Mitchells guides. Its for an 81 Jeep CJ.

Thanks ya'll and happy 4th!

Ben
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

an '81 heep???

start with a $1000 non-refundable deposit.....2 parts donor vehicles...an oxy-acetylene torch .....a Jamaican voo-doo priest....a BIG pile of dope....a keg of beer....and dominos on speed dial
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Seahawk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71665
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Wilmington, NC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza
w/ 03 WRX Swap

Default

Bump. I'm still trying to find a source for this if anyone knows.
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
manys
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 265277
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2005 White
and pretty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Can anyone point me towards a (free) labor time guide for auto repair? I've checked my local libraries and online, but to no avail. I'm doing some work for a friend and want to charge based off the Chilton's or Mitchells guides. Its for an 81 Jeep CJ.

Thanks ya'll and happy 4th!

Ben

Stop being so polite and official, labor time guide for 81 Jeep?And for a friend? If you mess something up he won't be grateful anyway..Just tell him $100/h
manys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
jeepnut_nh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261162
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: southern New Hampshire, USA
Vehicle:
2000 Outback Sport
blue

Default

i agree, no need to be "official" about doing a side job for a friend...garages charge that way so they can maximize profits (book says replacing front brake pads charges at lets say 2 hours, mechanic is done in 30 minutes). i know a few guys that do work on the side, they just charge 20/hr (real time) for their time. average labor round here is in the 50-60/hr or so

fwiw...i have a '74 CJ5...would never have bought an old jeep if i couldnt do most work myself, what needs doing? (or should i say, what DOESN'T need doing?)
jeepnut_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
nairbmik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220259
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: HoCo & College Park
Vehicle:
09 2.5i
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
an '81 heep???

start with a $1000 non-refundable deposit.....2 parts donor vehicles...an oxy-acetylene torch .....a Jamaican voo-doo priest....a BIG pile of dope....a keg of beer....and dominos on speed dial
Can't believe no one else saw this.

OP, you don't need to be so formal. 80-100 dollars/hour is reasonable. Plus a case of beer or something.
nairbmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Chilton's or Mitchells have nothing whatever to do with labor rates.

and the 'going rate' for shop labor right now is usually ~$75-$100/hr or more
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
nasa779
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 263513
Join Date: Nov 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: allison park, PA (pittsburgh)
Vehicle:
00 acura integra
silver

Default

uh we have a giant old ass labor time book at my work, ill see what i can find
nasa779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
uproot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 250100
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Georgia
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
Chilton's or Mitchells have nothing whatever to do with labor rates.
I think he's trying to find a guide that'll lay out how long each job should take, and not the rate.



With that being said: dude, it's a friend..

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Why don't you just do the work WITH him, good friend bonding stuff right there.
uproot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
FlannelWagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209998
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Edmonds Washington
Vehicle:
2007 Fxt
Urban Grey Metallic

Default

what repairs are you doing. I can look it up.
FlannelWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
FlannelWagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209998
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Edmonds Washington
Vehicle:
2007 Fxt
Urban Grey Metallic

Default

btw I use Ondemand5.com but you have to pay.

so if I knew the repairs, I could tell you how many hours the book says for the repair. and shop rates are usually 75.00/hour being your backyard mechanic to 110.00/hour being your dealership
FlannelWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Seahawk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71665
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Wilmington, NC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza
w/ 03 WRX Swap

Default

I appreciate all the responses. And for this particular guy, I maybe should have used the word "acquantance". He is the brother of an actual friend. Maybe friend by association?

Regardless, I want to use the labor guide as a base on how many hours to charge, not the hourly rate. This way I can make sure that I am getting paid appropriately for the work I do. If it only takes me 2 hours to change his water pump, but the labor time is 4.8, you can bet I want to be paid for 4.8, regardless of how much I'm charging per hour.

I'll have to go back and look at my notes to see all I've done and what else I need to do. This turd has been sitting in my garage way too long.

But I also work on other peoples' vehicles on the side and want to use the labor guide for these jobs as well.

I'll check out Ondemand5.com.
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
Seahawk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71665
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Wilmington, NC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza
w/ 03 WRX Swap

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnut_nh View Post
i agree, no need to be "official" about doing a side job for a friend...garages charge that way so they can maximize profits (book says replacing front brake pads charges at lets say 2 hours, mechanic is done in 30 minutes). i know a few guys that do work on the side, they just charge 20/hr (real time) for their time. average labor round here is in the 50-60/hr or so

fwiw...i have a '74 CJ5...would never have bought an old jeep if i couldnt do most work myself, what needs doing? (or should i say, what DOESN'T need doing?)
$20/hr is what I'm charging too. It's a great deal for him, money in the pocket for me, and getting paid for something I like to do anyway. This guy is not the most mechanically inclined, and the Jeep is just a summertime weekend vehicle. IIRC, I've done valve cover gasket, fuel filter, spark plugs, oil pan gasket, oil change, replaced battery, water pump, t-stat, coolant flush, cleaned the carb, and some other little stuff here and there. It still needs a new radiator (clogged), and probably an exhaust manifold.
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
4-n-zics
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 228961
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yukon, OK
Vehicle:
'11 STI sedan
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
If it only takes me 2 hours to change his water pump, but the labor time is 4.8, you can bet I want to be paid for 4.8, regardless of how much I'm charging per hour.
Why would you want to get paid for 4.8 hours if the job only takes you 2 hours? Your friend might as well take it to a mechanic and get the job done quicker since he will be ass-raped on cost either way.
4-n-zics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
Seahawk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71665
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Wilmington, NC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza
w/ 03 WRX Swap

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-n-zics View Post
Why would you want to get paid for 4.8 hours if the job only takes you 2 hours? Your friend might as well take it to a mechanic and get the job done quicker since he will be ass-raped on cost either way.
Well he can get "ass raped" at $60-100/hr or "gently anal probed" at $20/hr.

The reason labor time guides are used is because it takes different people different times to do a job, largely because of skill level, experience, etc.

It goes the other way too... if I take 5 hours to do a job that the book says should pay 2, than I want my "friend" to only pay 2. Maybe I should have clarified that as well prior to your insightful post.
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
TFBHTMFSNE
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156086
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default

Obviously, some out there don't understand how flat-rate works.

And while $100 an hour may be shop labor rates, it is NOT what techs make. Most of that money goes to the shop. If somebody wants me to pay shop rates for side work, I'll just go to the shop and get a guarantee on the work.
TFBHTMFSNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #17
FlannelWagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209998
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Edmonds Washington
Vehicle:
2007 Fxt
Urban Grey Metallic

Default

and thus why he is charging 20.00/hour do you guys not understand he is not charging SHOP rate, he is chargine way under shop rate. he is just charging by the book as far as hours. which is fair.

OP:

as far as labor times go here is what I got for the work you have listed as done, and needing to do thus far. I will list for both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder since you didnt specify

valve cover gasket: 4cyl=0.9 hours 6cyl=2.0 hours
fuel filter: 0.3 hour all models
spark plugs: 4cyl=0.5 hours 6cyl=0.6 hours
oilpan gasket: 1.6 hours all models add 0.3 hours with oem skidplate option
oil change: 0.3 hours all models
remove/replace battery: 0.5 hours
coolant system flush: 0.7 hours
thermostat remove/replace: 0.7 hours
waterpump: 1.5 hours with AC 1.2 hours W/O AC
cleaning carb: at your discretion

as far as radiator and exhaust manifold
radiator remove replace including hoses: 1.4 hours
exhaust manifold: 2.3 hours with power steering 1.9 hours W/O power steering

hope that helps. if you have more to add post them up.

and at a total of about 11.5 hours that only equals roughly 230.00 charging 20.00/hour just for labor not including parts.

Last edited by FlannelWagon; 12-01-2010 at 09:51 PM.
FlannelWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #18
cici
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265506
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: shenzhen
Vehicle:
2000 bmw
red

Default

i have got the same situation with you. but i do not get an ideal person till now. terrible!!
cici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
Seahawk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 71665
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Wilmington, NC
Vehicle:
1994 Impreza
w/ 03 WRX Swap

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensti04 View Post
and thus why he is charging 20.00/hour do you guys not understand he is not charging SHOP rate, he is chargine way under shop rate. he is just charging by the book as far as hours. which is fair.

OP:

as far as labor times go here is what I got for the work you have listed as done, and needing to do thus far. I will list for both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder since you didnt specify

valve cover gasket: 4cyl=0.9 hours 6cyl=2.0 hours
fuel filter: 0.3 hour all models
spark plugs: 4cyl=0.5 hours 6cyl=0.6 hours
oilpan gasket: 1.6 hours all models add 0.3 hours with oem skidplate option
oil change: 0.3 hours all models
remove/replace battery: 0.5 hours
coolant system flush: 0.7 hours
thermostat remove/replace: 0.7 hours
waterpump: 1.5 hours with AC 1.2 hours W/O AC
cleaning carb: at your discretion

as far as radiator and exhaust manifold
radiator remove replace including hoses: 1.4 hours
exhaust manifold: 2.3 hours with power steering 1.9 hours W/O power steering

hope that helps. if you have more to add post them up.

and at a total of about 11.5 hours that only equals roughly 230.00 charging 20.00/hour just for labor not including parts.
Thanks so much for posting this up. The Jeep is a 6 cyl.

Ben
Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #20
FlannelWagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209998
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Edmonds Washington
Vehicle:
2007 Fxt
Urban Grey Metallic

Default

not a problem if you have more feel free to PM me
FlannelWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
Jaxer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311064
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

You can get the Free Automotive Labor Guide Repair Estimates sent to you in an email from FreeAutoMechanic.com ,it might take them a day to get back to you but it is absolutely free. You just fill out the request form and that's it.
Jaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tomei cams/timing guide, EJ207 Spec C JDM heads, PE injectors, downpipe zeropsi MWSOC Private Classifieds 39 06-07-2010 09:05 PM
Wheel Bearing Labor Time? MeanderingLane Brakes, Steering & Suspension 4 11-16-2009 08:04 PM
dealer labor time charges redsunsfd Newbies & FAQs 9 01-29-2008 11:41 AM
NY Times Guide to Tuning for Old Farts Jon [in CT] General Community 7 10-31-2003 03:19 PM
Warranty vs Customer Pay Labor Time Mean Service & Maintenance 7 08-29-2003 07:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.