Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #476
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36033
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

^ who measured it? and with what?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #477
RaceFaceXC
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 165749
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 No YELLING
on the bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
drivetrain loss is 25% guys. this has been measured/verified in the past. obviously this will change if you have a light flyhweel, crank pulley, driveshaft or whatever. but stock...
So a wrx loses more hp to the drivetrain than a rs/2.5i just because it makes more power at the crank?

Last edited by RaceFaceXC; 04-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.
RaceFaceXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #478
Rudgers73
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141433
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Obsidian Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFaceXC View Post
Drivetrains loss is more a constant HP than percent of power. For example A 500 WHP car does not make 750 at the crank.
I wouldn't say it's a constant horsepower, that doesn't make sense. That would be saying that your car has negative power at idle. More accurately, it is a percentage of the power but it doesn't apply as a linear function.
Rudgers73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #479
airbornesoldier
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282013
Vehicle:
2012 Subaru WRX
SPW

should of just bought an older wrx?
airbornesoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #480
RaceFaceXC
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2007 No YELLING
on the bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudgers73 View Post

I wouldn't say it's a constant horsepower, that doesn't make sense. That would be saying that your car has negative power at idle. More accurately, it is a percentage of the power but it doesn't apply as a linear function.
Logic. Get some
Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #481
Rudgers73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Obsidian Black

Quote:

Logic. Get some
Don't understand. You were wrong and I was just offering a more rational answer. The percentage of loss in a mechanical system is a function of the sum off all of the parts that contribute to the inefficiency. When you add up a bunch of mechanical inefficiencies that have different modes of loss (torsional displacement, gearing inefficiency, contact resistance, all different types of inertial forces acting together and against each other) than the total percentage lost is going to vary infinitely. Each part of the system becomes less efficient at different rates for different reasons. You could generalize, but that wouldn't be very logical
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #482
Rudgers73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Obsidian Black

Quote:

So a wrx loses more hp to the drivetrain than a rs/2.5i just because it makes more power at the crank?
Yes. If a wrx has 200 HP and loses 25% it transfers 150 to the wheels. If an RS makes 170 HP and has the same 25% loss it will transfer about 131 to the wheels.

Look at what we have: wrx - 50 HP loss, RS - 42 HP loss
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #483
RaceFaceXC
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2007 No YELLING
on the bus!

Quote:

Don't understand. You were wrong and I was just offering a more rational answer. The percentage of loss in a mechanical system is a function of the sum off all of the parts that contribute to the inefficiency. When you add up a bunch of mechanical inefficiencies that have different modes of loss (torsional displacement, gearing inefficiency, contact resistance, all different types of inertial forces acting together and against each other) than the total percentage lost is going to vary infinitely. Each part of the system becomes less efficient at different rates for different reasons. You could generalize, but that wouldn't be very logical
Quote:

Yes. If a wrx has 200 HP and loses 25% it transfers 150 to the wheels. If an RS makes 170 HP and has the same 25% loss it will transfer about 131 to the wheels.

Look at what we have: wrx - 50 HP loss, RS - 42 HP loss
They have identical parts, why would they have different parasitic losses?

If one did a wrx engine swap into ones rs would the drivetrain become less efficient because the Engine bolted to it had changed?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #484
Counterfit
Scooby Guru

Member#: 124254
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

There's a big techy thread about this deep within the bowels of the drivetrain forum.
Counterfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #485
Rudgers73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Obsidian Black

Quote:

They have identical parts, why would they have different parasitic losses?

If one did a wrx engine swap into ones rs would the drivetrain become less efficient because the Engine bolted to it had changed?
The efficiency would be the same on the drivetrain. The loss is always a percent of the total power. More power, more loss. 25% of a big number is always going to be more than 25% of a small number. You'll always have more power with an engine that makes more power, but the actual number of horses lost will go up as the total power increases.

Sucks, right?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #486
Special J
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 148045
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 OBS
CGM

Quote:
The efficiency would be the same on the drivetrain. The loss is always a percent of the total power. More power, more loss. 25% of a big number is always going to be more than 25% of a small number. You'll always have more power with an engine that makes more power, but the actual number of horses lost will go up as the total power increases.

Sucks, right?
Your math sucks.

It takes X ft/lbs of torque to twist the input shaft of the tranny (and thereby the rest of the drivetrain). Multiply that times RPMs and divide by 5252 to get the horsepower required. The number you come up with is the drivetrain loss. If it's 50 hp, that'll be 25% of a 200 hp motor, but only 12.5% of a 400 hp motor. The drivetrain torque requirement is static with regards to the motor spinning it; changing that motor only changes the percentage.

If it was always a fixed percentage, regardless of what was spinning it, you'd be able to make your car go by twisting the input shaft by hand, using only 25% of your available hand torque. Try that and get back to us to let us know how it goes. Hint: it won't.

J
Special J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #487
RaceFaceXC
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2007 No YELLING
on the bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special J View Post

Your math sucks.

It takes X ft/lbs of torque to twist the input shaft of the tranny (and thereby the rest of the drivetrain). Multiply that times RPMs and divide by 5252 to get the horsepower required. The number you come up with is the drivetrain loss. If it's 50 hp, that'll be 25% of a 200 hp motor, but only 12.5% of a 400 hp motor. The drivetrain torque requirement is static with regards to the motor spinning it; changing that motor only changes the percentage.

If it was always a fixed percentage, regardless of what was spinning it, you'd be able to make your car go by twisting the input shaft by hand, using only 25% of your available hand torque. Try that and get back to us to let us know how it goes. Hint: it won't.

J
Holy ****, someone with common sense.

I will say that as engine tq increases, shaft deflection increases, presumably increasing parasitic drag through the drivetrain. I would guess that this amount of increased loss to friction is small relative to the overall drivetrain loss.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #488
Rudgers73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Obsidian Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special J View Post

Your math sucks.

J
I stand corrected. That makes sense. I knew something was going to be almost a constant. Turns out it was power required to compensate for the loss, not the percent lost
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #489
Special J
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 OBS
CGM

Quote:
Holy ****, someone with common sense.
S'not so common these days.

Quote:
I stand corrected. That makes sense. I knew something was going to be almost a constant. Turns out it was power required to compensate for the loss, not the percent lost
If only everybody else out there were willing to listen to reason. Good on ya, Rudge.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #490
XSV Klutch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259013
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza 2.5i
greyish

Did an argument just end peacefully on nasioc?
XSV Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #491
Counterfit
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSV Klutch View Post
No! That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #492
Special J
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 OBS
CGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSV Klutch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit View Post
No! That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
And, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; and the stars of heaven fell unto the earth...

Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #493
Rudgers73
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Obsidian Black

I guess we could get into an argument about who is gay or who is a total noob, but as long as the right answer comes out of it I am happy haha
Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #494
Counterfit
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

Quote:
I guess we could get into an argument about who is gay or who is a total noob, but as long as the right answer comes out of it I am happy haha
Yup, you're the noob.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #495
scoobymatt93
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 254115
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey Metallic

Figured I'd bump up this thread to give some feedback. Finally got around to getting Mike to tune my car this year! kept talking about it, but never had the time. I've got the Rallisport v2 UEL headers, Tsudo N1 catback, and a Cosmo SRI. Mike was awesome with the tune and super quick, got everything wrapped up in about two weeks. Final tune feels GREAT. Pulls hard (for what it is) from 1.5k-redline now, used to bog down a lot under 2k and didn't really get power until about 3k-4k. Highly recommend you guys with mods to go get a tune. Makes the car feel MUCH better.
scoobymatt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #496
kred
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351724
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT LTD
OBP

Is anyone familiar with the guy on here who got his 2007 impreza 2.5i tuned and made like 189whp/187wtq? I know I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it and there's guys on the legacy forum who are calling BS on this.
kred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #497
Counterfit
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2006 06 SGM Slowbaru
"The Scoobinator"

Those numbers would require a lot of work.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #498
kred
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351724
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT LTD
OBP

^^^The guy had like a header back exhaust, intake, and LWCP. I've seen it somewhere, but where?
kred is offline   Reply With Quote