Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default How to fix scratches?

Freaking pissed... 2 week new car now has 4 long scratch marks on the bumper that took away the clear coat...

Any suggestions on how to fix it??

Thanks!!



* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
cmk82600
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 248305
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
97 OBS
my custom mixed silver

Default

If the scratches are down to the paint then a reclear is needed.
cmk82600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Wannascooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112992
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
Crystal Gray

Default

try some meguiars scratch remover. If not you'll have to buy some touch up paint from the stealership or online.

Put a few thin layers till it's about level with the original paint job and sand it down with some super high grit sandpaper. I forget the number, but sand it till it's about flat and even. Then buff it with some scratch removing compound and finish it off with a polishing compound. Add a clear coat on top if you'd like.

I had some deep scratches that went to the metal of my hood on my G35. Did all those things and I must say it came out really nicely. Not perfect, but you'd really have to look to find it. PM me if you want to know the exact products I used. I'm too lazy to walk to the garage right now.
Also not sure if I'm allowed to promote other forums, but autopia.org is a good website

Last edited by Wannascooby; 07-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Wannascooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
kickniteasy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201661
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: C-Springs, CO
Vehicle:
2013 STI
2002 Forester

Default

do they disappear if you wipe a wet rag over them? If so, they should buff out with some scratch remover/polish/wax action though it looks like a DA will be necessary.
kickniteasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

Thanks for the input...
The rear bumper feels plasticky... the clear coat is gone, I can still see the dark grey paint.. so I should wash and dry the area then add the touch up paint (1 small tough up pen with brush free from dealer) and sand it down...

I'm scared that I'll create more scratches from the sanding...

I was thinking of getting the following:
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Rapid Detailer
and maybe Autoglym High Definition Wax Kit

Would it work if I just use the first two products?
Also, which clear coating product I should get to protect the paint that is available at Canadian Tire?
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
jefmcc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42303
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff84 View Post
Thanks for the input...
The rear bumper feels plasticky... the clear coat is gone, I can still see the dark grey paint.. so I should wash and dry the area then add the touch up paint (1 small tough up pen with brush free from dealer) and sand it down...

I'm scared that I'll create more scratches from the sanding...

I was thinking of getting the following:
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Rapid Detailer
and maybe Autoglym High Definition Wax Kit

Would it work if I just use the first two products?
Also, which clear coating product I should get to protect the paint that is available at Canadian Tire?
You will create more scratches if you wet sand, that's how it works. However, you gradually move to finer and finer grade paper until the "scratches" are so fine they just look like a haze. Then you polish out with compound.

The higher the number, the finer the grit/grade. Generally, 1200 -1500 grit is good for taking down touch up paint. I use 3000 before I polish.

Could just be the pictures, but those look too big to really use touch up effectively.

Curious, how did you get those?

Are you positive that the clear is gone?

Last edited by jefmcc; 07-16-2010 at 02:41 PM.
jefmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmcc View Post
You will create more scratches if you wet sand, that's how it works. However, you gradually move to finer and finer grade paper until the "scratches" are so fine they just look like a haze. Then you polish out with compound.

The higher the number, the finer the grit/grade. Generally, 1200 -1500 grit is good for taking down touch up paint. I use 3000 before I polish.

Could just be the pictures, but those look too big to really use touch up effectively.

Curious, how did you get those?

Are you positive that the clear is gone?

I don't know how I got those marks.. I don't recall hiting scraping any objects.. the marks are long and wide.. roughly 1 CM to to 1.5 CM wide and 15CM long

The top clear layer is gone.. I was rinsing my car last night and I saw the marks.. I can feeling of the marks is different from other non-scratched areas.. it feels a bit rough...
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

....before you do any touch up or sanding, I would try using a product like Scratch-X from Meguiars or use their Ultimate Compound followed by Swirl-X to remove any fine marks left by the UC. ….I would suggest the latter combo.

I have removed abrasions like this on several occasions. I’ll wager that most of those blemishes will disappear or will improve to a point that you will be satisfied with just polishing. There are a couple of spots though (on the body line and edge of the wheel arch) that look pretty deep. In either case, I would highly recommend polishing first before even considering touch up/repair. You will have a better idea of the actual damage at that point so you can re-assess and proceed from there if needed. IMO/IME some damage can look much worse than it actually is.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
....before you do any touch up or sanding, I would try using a product like Scratch-X from Meguiars or use their Ultimate Compound followed by Swirl-X to remove any fine marks left by the UC. Ö.I would suggest the latter combo.

I have removed abrasions like this on several occasions. Iíll wager that most of those blemishes will disappear or will improve to a point that you will be satisfied with just polishing. There are a couple of spots though (on the body line and edge of the wheel arch) that look pretty deep. In either case, I would highly recommend polishing first before even considering touch up/repair. You will have a better idea of the actual damage at that point so you can re-assess and proceed from there if needed. IMO/IME some damage can look much worse than it actually is.
I read some reviews about ScratchX.. I was thinking of geting a tube from Canadian Tire.. I'll test it out first by using just the ScratchX product..

Thanks
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff84 View Post
I read some reviews about ScratchX.. I was thinking of geting a tube from Canadian Tire.. I'll test it out first by using just the ScratchX product..

Thanks
No problem. I would pick one small spot on concentrate on making that area better. This will give you a good idea of the effort involved in polishing out the rest of the blemish and just how effective polishing will be. It may take a little effort/time to get results. ....just keep checking your progress as you go.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
VitaminJ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252177
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: BC, Canada
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza 2.5 TS

Default

Man, I feel your pain, that really sucks. I'd try some rough cut polish with a good hand held polisher.
VitaminJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

I'm planning to use ScratchX first and followed by autoglym polish and autoglym detailer.. Is this a good step as a starter?

Going to Canadian Tire today after work then start working on the Car tonight after my studies...

Damn this... Final exam on the 27.... work FT, repair scratches, and prep for final exam...

Will post results another time

Thanks everyone for their input
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

1. you should really wipe down the area clean before taking pictures
2. doesnt look that bad.

i would recommend Ultimate compound over scratch X since it has a bit more cut in it. you wanna do at least two polishes. one for the cut, and a follow up. make sure you wax after youre done.
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
1. you should really wipe down the area clean before taking pictures
2. doesnt look that bad.

i would recommend Ultimate compound over scratch X since it has a bit more cut in it. you wanna do at least two polishes. one for the cut, and a follow up. make sure you wax after youre done.
yeah.. I should of wiped the area first... I'll repost pics of the area tonight...

So I use the Ultimate compound then I polish with autoglym then let dry and polish again? After the two polishes I wax?

Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Ryan314
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82989
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Hybrid VF22

Default

Those scratches are nothing... I could easily take those out with my PC 7424 with a light polish pad.
Ryan314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
snoboarder8232
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 241289
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Default

Yeah those scratches don't look bad at all. Don't even think about putting touch up paint on them.
snoboarder8232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #17
finallyevo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252275
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default

Porter cable buffer with swirl remover and a red pad.
finallyevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #18
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

After polish using autoglym resin polish.. Need to use touch up paint for the areas circled in red... all the paint on those spots are gone.. it down to the plastic bottom...

Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #19
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

....yeah. That's what I thought. The good news is that the rest of the marks (mostly) appear to have come out like we thought. Now you can re-assess, consider your opotions and decide what you want to do about those smaller problem areas.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #20
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
....yeah. That's what I thought. The good news is that the rest of the marks (mostly) appear to have come out like we thought. Now you can re-assess, consider your opotions and decide what you want to do about those smaller problem areas.
I'm thinking of using touch up paint.. gradually adding thin layers... then give it a polish
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #21
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff84 View Post
I'm thinking of using touch up paint.. gradually adding thin layers... then give it a polish
....that's one thing I will admit I suck at. However, I have seen touch up jobs that were wetsanded and then buffed with results that were difficult to tell there was ever any damage. ....on the other hand, I've seen touch ups that looked worse than the initial damage. I would do as much reading as possible on detailing forums like Autopia.org, etc. before diving in. It should really help guide you through the process.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #22
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
....that's one thing I will admit I suck at. However, I have seen touch up jobs that were wetsanded and then buffed with results that were difficult to tell there was ever any damage. ....on the other hand, I've seen touch ups that looked worse than the initial damage. I would do as much reading as possible on detailing forums like Autopia.org, etc. before diving in. It should really help guide you through the process.
Thanks.. I'll definitely do lots of research first before I start adding touch up paint... I'm glad it's not as bad as I thought...
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #23
Subaru_Salesman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 241382
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default

Those one are too deep...Needs repaint.
Subaru_Salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #24
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

yea if you are brave do some wetsanding. otherwise a little touch up paint and polish will only make it look better. the less you try to do, the less chance there is to mess it up
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
Jeff84
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251519
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle:
2010 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxkim View Post
yea if you are brave do some wetsanding. otherwise a little touch up paint and polish will only make it look better. the less you try to do, the less chance there is to mess it up

I already put a thin layer of touch up paint, but haven't polished it yet. Will polish it next week after final exam.

Yeah it's not perfect, but better than the plastic showing. It's a good temp fix though.
Jeff84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to fix paint chips/deep scratches? mcdrumrboy Interior & Exterior Modification 3 02-13-2006 05:13 PM
deep scratches on bumper sides. how to fix? touchup paint? garie Service & Maintenance 2 11-05-2003 12:02 AM
Scratched 17" Rota Subzero! Any ideas in how to fix? Kucheto Interior & Exterior Modification 10 09-09-2003 01:02 PM
How to fix scratched wheels? YoungWilliams Tire & Wheel 3 04-25-2003 12:25 AM
How to fix or conceal small scratches? Robmat General Forum Archive 2 02-04-2001 05:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.