Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Vendor Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-17-2002, 01:34 AM   #1
SoCalScooby
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 854
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Thumbs up Brullen 3" dual-tipped, cat-back exhaust

[This is a long review, but there are pictures at the bottom if you just wanted to see the finished product]

I was in the market for an exhaust, and while at the same time knowing what I wanted, I knew what I didn’t want. This made it kind of difficult for me to purchase something without being able to come see for myself. I had to rely on my fellow Subaru (I say this out of respect for all Subaru owners on the i-club.com web site) owners.

I wanted an exhaust that looked nice, sexy, stylish, and above all, fit in its place. No offense to anyone who has otherwise, but this was the demographic I was shooting for. Another top priority for me was sound. I wanted there to be sound, unlike the stock provides, but at the same time, not have sound. Get what I mean? I was almost completely set on the Stromung dual-tip cat-back exhaust, I even got someone in the Bay Area to take me for a ride in his car that had it. I liked it, but still wasn’t certain if I would like it when time came for me to drive around daily with it. I had made many posts, asking i-clubers their opinion on the quietest aftermarket exhaust that would still give me performance benefits. A name popped up that I had not heard before, “Brullen.”

After posting another topic about Brullen exhausts, I came to think that this might be what I was looking for. I was told the e-mail address for Brullen was through iON Performance Inc. in Canada. I sent out an e-mail telling them what I was interested in, and, if memory serves, I got a response in the same day, from Jack. Throughout this journey for the “perfect” exhaust for me, Jack was extremely helpful and patient to my many, MANY, questions. J He was quick to respond with answers and suggestions to me, as I was very grateful for his quick answers. I decided to order it, and sent in my money order. He e-mailed me the day he got the order, and told me he would start work on it right away. In case you did not know it, but the Brullen exhaust you pay for, is the one you get. This is like Subway Sandwiches, they make it fresh the way you want it. He made it in a few weeks time, and shipped it right out to me, tracking number and all. I was eagerly awaiting my new exhaust, wanting to go rollin’ around with some notice (besides the usual, “what the hell is that?”).

Installing was a bit harder that I had expected. I jacked the car up, got under with my wrench, and went at those nuts. Unfortunately SOA must use Superman to put those suckers on ‘cause I couldn’t make them budge. I had a few friends give it a go ahead and to no avail. I finally drove the car over to another friend’s house who had air tools and may I just say, those things are a gift from god…or the people who invented them. J From the time we started, to the time we finished unbolting and bolting, it was only about 45 minutes. Very easy and straight forward.

I ordered the polyurethane hangers for the exhaust and mid-pipe but Jack didn’t have those made in time when he sent the exhaust out. I e-mailed him when I got it done and told him I loved it, and he informed that he was sending out the hangers ‘cause they were done. I got them a little while later and put them on. The stock rubber ones stretched a lot and caused the exhaust to shake. Not to the point where it hit anything, but enough that I knew I wanted the hangers ASAP.

After everything was done, I was enjoying my exhaust tremendously. I rolled around at night with the sunroof open and all the windows up and you can barely notice the exhaust is even there. I have a Ganz-flow intake and I hear that more on heavy accelerations than the exhaust. It is noticeable, I mean, that deep “drone” is there, but not very evident. I have my music up most of the time and I hardly, HARDLY, notice it. I like that I have a means of communication to other drivers though.

I highly recommend the exhaust to someone who wants a quiet exhaust. It is an exhaust, so you’ll hear it, but it isn’t bad at all. Honestly. I can cruise around and not hear it if I wanted to (when I’m in my residential neighborhood). Check out the pictures I have of it, it’s really nice.

Thank you Jack at iON Performance!

~Eric Weiner

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SoCalScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
iON Performance Inc
Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 7673

SoCalScooby - looking good thanks for the compliments, definately glad you're enjoying your new exhaust
Old 06-17-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
Jeff02WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 20150
Vehicle:
2006 VW GLI
Platinum Gray

Question

I've heard great things about the Brullen exhausts but I'm looking for something with a loud tone. It is my understanding they have different levels of sound you can order. If you don't mind my asking, roughly what did the exhaust set you back? I'm also considering the Borla cat-back and if anyone has any feedback between the two I would appreciate it. I realize the Borla is much more affordable but it may be just what I'm looking for.
Jeff02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
SoCalScooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 854
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

The exhaust was expensive, yes. And they do have different levels of "loudness" as you can specify when you order. The exhaust and bushings set me back $649, shipped. A big chunk of cash, but I made some extra money at work so I wanted to buy myself something I'd enjoy.

~Eric
SoCalScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #5
dasubaruguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6523

we have installed a bunch of these cat back systems and they are great, not to mention that they look stock and you will not be bothered by the cops. The quality is great compared to some others that look like a nine year old welded it.
dasubaruguy is offline   Reply With Quote