Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-17-2002, 03:46 AM   #1
fassts4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9922
Vehicle:
2003 STI
Blue

Default STI - Know any European tuners for ECU modification?

I was wondering if there are any reputable tuners that sell modified ECU's or the like for STI's in (eastern) Europe?

Also, is there a way for the dealers to detect the unichip or modified ECU's through diagnostic tools? I am not planning on changing the exhaust, etc for a while, so the only modification will be the modified ECU. Thanks in advance!

Can
00 Audi S4 - for sale
02 Mini Cooper S - July delivery
03 Subaru STI - on order

PS: Anyone know of a STI specific board that is decent? TIA
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
fassts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 10:06 PM   #2
GDB
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12968

Sorry I don't have exact answers for you but I'll give some tips anyway:

I haven't heard of an STi specific board (maybe the Japanese have them), but I do know that Scoobynet of UK discusses the STi far more regularly than here. The reason is simply the Britons/Europeans already have the Euro STi (some even import the JDM).
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/

You might want to post your question there if you haven't done so.

Prodrive is a "European tuner" although they're mainly based in UK. Apparently there's a Prodrive Performance Package about to be released for the Euro STi. Rumors have it that 300bhp and 400Nm torque is promised; not great figures, because Prodrive stresses TORQUE improvement rather than outright horsepower. Warning: any Prodrive product will cost a bomb.

Alternatively, you might want to ask around (in Scoobynet or local garages where you live) if there're reputable tuners of Japanese aftermarket ECU.

HKS FConS seems to work just fine with an STi. Others include the Apex'i PowerFC and Mine's.

Be warned though: I suggest you DO NOT simply plug in the piggyback ECU and drive it away. HKS for example does sell a pre-set piggyback specifically for the STi, however it is programmed for Japanese 100RON fuel, under Japanese weather conditions. It is best to fine-tune the ECU, NOT just plug-and-play.

In addition, Australia has the Unichip piggyback ECU.
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/

Generally I've heard good comments about them too.

And FINALLY, my parting words: to best of my knowledge, the outcome of your ECU upgrade depends more on the TUNER rather than the AFTERMARKET ECU. Please make sure you have a reliable tuner.

Oh wait I missed your other question: I think a dealer's mechanic will be able to tell if your ECU has been modified even if you use the original ECU if he suspects it in the first place. Just my guess though...
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:05 AM   #3
fassts4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9922
Vehicle:
2003 STI
Blue

thanks for all the information. I am currently trying to get in contact with a local dealer who sells unichips for subarus made by APS. But since my car will be a JDM I am not sure if they will have the right software for it. In either case, I will also check out scoobynet to see if I can get some quality info. Thanks once again and happy motoring!
fassts4 is offline   Reply With Quote