Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 15, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Viral E
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 242246
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default 95 Legacy into 99 Impreza L

So I began pulling the old 2.2 out two weeks ago in my garage. Thankfully I had a break in work to start this thing and unfortunately it's taking a lot longer than expected.

I bought a 2.2 from a 95 Legacy from fuzznuts for a great price (thankyakindly) and was planning on swapping out my old 2.2 with a failing bottom end for the new one. My car is a 99 Impreza L Wagon.

It took me the whole week to get the materials/tools needed for the swap and get the engine out, so by the end of week One I had an engine out and a chance to finally look over both engines.

Lo and behold I encounter my first problem. The harnass on the new engine and my main harnass don't match. So I decided to trade harnasses between the engines so I could use my old harnass.

Hitch 1A: The coil pack connectors don't match. And to make matters worse, I can't use my old coil pack since the bolts don't line up and the wires/plug connections are different. My solution is to cut and solder wire to wire the old harnass clip to the new coil pack clip.

Hitch 1B: Four wires on the old plug and three wires on the new plug. 3 of 4 old wires match up to the other three on the new plug, but there's an extra black wire from the harnass. For the sake of time and because it makes logical sense, I'm going to assume it's a ground wire which I will run to the chassis since I can't come up with a better solution.

Hitch 2: No Idle Air Control Valve on the new engine. It appears to be missing from the throttle body. Solution? Swap TB's... I have no better answer.

Hitch 3: Extra solenoid/vaccum pump looking thingy on the new engine that is NOT on the old one. It has a isht ton of hoses running to it and it's placed just to the right of the throttle body when looking from the rear of the engine... It also has a darn sensor on it which I don't have a plug for with my old harnass. I can't leave it unplugged since it may be important but if I can find out what it is I can probably find a wire for it... It basically looks like a large round cylinder that is connected to the side of the center of the intake and has hoses running out the top, around the side, out the side, and a sensor at the top. The top of the cylinder thingy has the letters A-B-C on it and there appears to be writing on the side facing the intake manifold but I can't make out what is said

Hitch 4: Plugs for the injectors may not match up. I haven't verified this since i have yet to remove the harnass completely, but even if they don't I have a solution. Cut, Strip, and solder. The wire colors should match up between engines, and if they don't I can still see if I can run the old injectors and fuel rails, although one is top feed and one is side feed =/ could be sketchy.

Hitch 5: Actually there is no hitch five, I just like odd numbers.

More updates as they happen and as time allows.

Advice/Answers would be a godsend right now, by the way
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Viral E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Viral E
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 242246
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRB

Update: Hitch 4 solved.

The problem with the ignition coil pack is that my main harnass from my old car has 4 wires leading to the ignition coil while the ignition coil on the engine I'm putting in has only 3 wires for the connection. Ironically, three of the wires on the harnass match perfectly in color to three of the wires on the engine's coil pack. One extra wire from the harnass is black. Is it a ground wire or is it a different kind of circuit that requires an extra wire? Like I said... logic tells me it's a ground wire since 9 times out of 10 "black wire" usually means a ground wire.

Problem 2 (aka Hitches 2 and 3): Well that pump thingy on the new engine's intake manifold is, in fact, the new Idle Air Control Valve. It's just situated in a different spot, specifically right on the side of the intake manifold just after the throttle body. The old IACV was on the throttlebody but unfortunately my ports don't match up so I can't swap throttlebodies. I also CAN NOT switch Intake Manifolds because the ports also don't line up between the two engines...

To make matters worse, the connector for the IACV on the old engine has 6 prongs/wires, while the connector for the IACV on the new engine I'm putting in has 3 prongs/wires. Does anyone know if I can find a way to splice n' dice these 6 wires to the three on the new IACV? Will the ECU even take the information being fed to it? The funny thing is, I believe that since one is a multiple of the other, three of the six wires must be positive and the other three might be negative, which means I can ground the three negative wires and it should work exactly the same.. this however does require a pinout of the wiring which perhaps I can acquire from Subaru?

My final question is this: If I can't get the wires to swap; Can I run my engine without a connected IACV? or will it just not allow any air through at all? Will the intake vacuum from motion be enough to allow air through to the engine or will it strangle and choke and my car won't even start, let alone idle?
Viral E is offline   Reply With Quote