Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Rallly2000
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91600
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: North Bay
Vehicle:
2000 RS(JDMSTI REP)
Silverthorn

Default Does the CEL mean I am in Limp mode?

I own a 2000 2.5RS. I'm running catless and had my ECU reflashed at Crawford with the SRS-20. My CEL was coming on before and still is now. I'm certain it's the usual "Bad cat" code. Anyway's my question is, if the CEL is on am I running at less power or anything?? Am I in "Limp mode"?

Jay
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rallly2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
connie808
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 251735
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: blue Sky paradise
Vehicle:
2004 IMPREZA
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallly2000 View Post
I own a 2000 2.5RS. I'm running catless and had my ECU reflashed at Crawford with the SRS-20. My CEL was coming on before and still is now. I'm certain it's the usual "Bad cat" code. Anyway's my question is, if the CEL is on am I running at less power or anything?? Am I in "Limp mode"?

Jay
How long has the code been on?? Just pull the code and ease your mind.
connie808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
Jubert69
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 167739
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
04 WRX
ej207 spec C 18g

Default

Do you have a boost gauge?

If it stays below 10 PSI, or less than .8 bar, than you are most likely in limp mode.
Jubert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
flightwatch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 231058
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Genesis Coupe
2.0T

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert69 View Post
Do you have a boost gauge?

If it stays below 10 PSI, or less than .8 bar, than you are most likely in limp mode.
See...this is why the boosted guys need to stay out of the N/A forum. He has a 2000 2.5rs. I highly doubt he has boost gauge...much less a turbo.

Just because your cel is on doesn't mean you're in limp mode. It means just what it says...Check Engine. Trust me, if the ecu was in limp mode, you would know.
flightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
VIsubi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187834
Join Date: Aug 2008
Vehicle:
06 2.5i impreza
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwatch View Post
See...this is why the boosted guys need to stay out of the N/A forum. He has a 2000 2.5rs. I highly doubt he has boost gauge...much less a turbo.

Just because your cel is on doesn't mean you're in limp mode. It means just what it says...Check Engine. Trust me, if the ecu was in limp mode, you would know.
Been an ******* much lately..geez the guy was just trying to help the man..who cares if he's boosted or not and that comment would likely serve and help someone that is boosted. Try having some coffee first thing instead of bashing ,flaming people. But nice comment none the less on CEL
VIsubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
dstan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120386
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville NC
Vehicle:
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
Wow the 89 Civic is fast

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIsubi View Post
Been an ******* much lately..geez the guy was just trying to help the man..who cares if he's boosted or not and that comment would likely serve and help someone that is boosted. Try having some coffee first thing instead of bashing ,flaming people. But nice comment none the less on CEL
Looking to see what forum we are in, Oh it is the Normally Aspirated Powertrain.

Now to the OP, check out what code you are getting most likely P0420
ask me how I know.
I have the same Crawford reflash but was getting this code way before that
dstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
starlightluvsu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238682
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
07 BBLGUN STI
EJ207 V9 swapped

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallly2000 View Post
I own a 2000 2.5RS. I'm running catless and had my ECU reflashed at Crawford with the SRS-20. My CEL was coming on before and still is now. I'm certain it's the usual "Bad cat" code. Anyway's my question is, if the CEL is on am I running at less power or anything?? Am I in "Limp mode"?

Jay
before this thread gets OT, did you have your car checked for the CEL code? with that code, u can usually look up what exactly is tripping the CEL.. I had mine turn on 2 days ago.. despite the fact that 4 of my subie friends told me it was prob just a sensor, and not to worry about it.. I got my code read, and it turns out that my turbo inlet was falling off. so good thing I got it checked out sooner than later.

If it ends up being a "bad cat" code, just go to a tuner/specialist and they can turn it off.
starlightluvsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
dstan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120386
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville NC
Vehicle:
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
Wow the 89 Civic is fast

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightluvsu View Post
before this thread gets OT, did you have your car checked for the CEL code? with that code, u can usually look up what exactly is tripping the CEL.. I had mine turn on 2 days ago.. despite the fact that 4 of my subie friends told me it was prob just a sensor, and not to worry about it.. I got my code read, and it turns out that my turbo inlet was falling off. so good thing I got it checked out sooner than later.

If it ends up being a "bad cat" code, just go to a tuner/specialist and they can turn it off.
No they can't.
dstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
flightwatch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 231058
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Genesis Coupe
2.0T

Default

Being an ass has nothing to do with it, and I don't care if the turbo kids come into the N/A forum...But you don't see us n/a boys over in their forums answering their technical questions. There's a reason for that.

I think she is talking about a cat inefficiency code...not necessarily a true bad cat.
flightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Rallly2000
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91600
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: North Bay
Vehicle:
2000 RS(JDMSTI REP)
Silverthorn

Default

lol thanks guy's
Rallly2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
vrusso
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207074
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Sacramento California
Vehicle:
2015 STI
You know your jealous

Default

You may or may not be running in "limp mode" depends on the code. Get it read. Git it fixed. Good to go.
vrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
starlightluvsu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238682
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
07 BBLGUN STI
EJ207 V9 swapped

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwatch View Post
Being an ass has nothing to do with it, and I don't care if the turbo kids come into the N/A forum...But you don't see us n/a boys over in their forums answering their technical questions. There's a reason for that.

I think she is talking about a cat inefficiency code...not necessarily a true bad cat.
and thank u for acknowledging that I'm a girl

I said "bad cat" cuz that's what OP called it.
starlightluvsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
dstan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120386
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville NC
Vehicle:
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
Wow the 89 Civic is fast

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightluvsu View Post
and thank u for acknowledging that I'm a girl

I said "bad cat" cuz that's what OP called it.
LOL, I think

"2007 STi named Babee
WRB w/ pink flakes+wheels"


gave it away
dstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #14
flightwatch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 231058
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Genesis Coupe
2.0T

Default

You're welcome.

To further add to what I was saying earlier; If the ecu is running in limp mode, you wouldn't be able to rev very high. Your car would also be insanely slow since the ecu would pull all timing. Limp mode=limp car=limp...well you know. It's the ecu's last defense that is designed to "limp" your vehicle onto the side of the road before your engine blows. It is usually caused by either several consecutive miss-fires, or excessive knock...although it can be caused by several other things too...I just can't remember them all right now.
flightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
dstan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120386
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville NC
Vehicle:
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
Wow the 89 Civic is fast

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwatch View Post
You're welcome.

To further add to what I was saying earlier; If the ecu is running in limp mode, you wouldn't be able to rev very high. Your car would also be insanely slow since the ecu would pull all timing. Limp mode=limp car=limp...well you know. It's the ecu's last defense that is designed to "limp" your vehicle onto the side of the road before your engine blows. It is usually caused by either several consecutive miss-fires, or excessive knock...although it can be caused by several other things too...I just can't remember them all right now.
I am not 100% sure but the 2000 RS does not have "Limp Mode"
dstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #16
Jubert69
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 167739
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
04 WRX
ej207 spec C 18g

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwatch View Post
See...this is why the boosted guys need to stay out of the N/A forum. He has a 2000 2.5rs. I highly doubt he has boost gauge...much less a turbo.

Just because your cel is on doesn't mean you're in limp mode. It means just what it says...Check Engine. Trust me, if the ecu was in limp mode, you would know.
If you look at his car it says RS (JDMSTI REP)...

Possibly it can have an STi drivetrain?? No? Not possible?
Jubert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #17
Jubert69
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 167739
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
04 WRX
ej207 spec C 18g

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstan View Post
Looking to see what forum we are in, Oh it is the Normally Aspirated Powertrain.

Now to the OP, check out what code you are getting most likely P0420
ask me how I know.
I have the same Crawford reflash but was getting this code way before that
NA Powertrain... 2.0L.... they are so far from each other.
Jubert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
VIsubi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187834
Join Date: Aug 2008
Vehicle:
06 2.5i impreza
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwatch View Post
Being an ass has nothing to do with it, and I don't care if the turbo kids come into the N/A forum...But you don't see us n/a boys over in their forums answering their technical questions. There's a reason for that.

I think she is talking about a cat inefficiency code...not necessarily a true bad cat.
Doesn't matter where all Subaru influenced...now if you had an EVO guy in here the nby all means bash him,don't bash someone thats trying to help a fellow Subby brother. Thats your alls problem and I see it more with the N/A crowd than with the turbo crowd...period. Secondly if you have your cat removed and a O2 bung installed your gona throw a code no matter what...why cause you have two of them and if the reading on the first O2 is the same as the second O2 then your cat (which the ECU thinks is there) isn't doing its job..best bet is to keep clearing codes...or get a high flow cat that still does its job. You probably worded the delete of the O2 trouble code wrong cause you can't just delete it like that lol you can how ever bypass it by any means.
VIsubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #19
Rallly2000
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 91600
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: North Bay
Vehicle:
2000 RS(JDMSTI REP)
Silverthorn

Default

No STI drivetrain just yet. some day though

I reset the ECU finally after driving it with the CEL light on for about 1.5 months. I was able to rev right to 6500rpm with it on but now without the CEL it does seems much more responsive?? Weird
Rallly2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #20
flightwatch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 231058
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Genesis Coupe
2.0T

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert69 View Post
NA Powertrain... 2.0L.... they are so far from each other.
A 2.5 n/a and a turbo 2.0 are pretty far from each other...sorry. Irregardless, I wasn't trying to flame you.

Last edited by flightwatch; 07-23-2010 at 02:22 AM.
flightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #21
Jubert69
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 167739
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
04 WRX
ej207 spec C 18g

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwatch View Post
A 2.5 n/a and a turbo 2.0 are pretty far from each other...sorry. Irregardless, I wasn't trying to flame you.
I meant in the forum section, Not the actual internals.
Jubert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
dstan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120386
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville NC
Vehicle:
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
Wow the 89 Civic is fast

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert69 View Post
NA Powertrain... 2.0L.... they are so far from each other.
Yes I know I have had both, OP said he had a SRS-20 Crawford Reflash which is what you do to a NA 2.5... Crawford does offer a SRS-30 which yield 5 to 10 more HP over the 15 to 20 HP the SRS-20 reflash does.

http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/85
dstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #23
Jubert69
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 167739
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
04 WRX
ej207 spec C 18g

Default

dstan, I mean, look at the nasioc techical section, the factory 2.0L powertrain is right below the N/A. That's what got me
Jubert69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
dstan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120386
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville NC
Vehicle:
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
Wow the 89 Civic is fast

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubert69 View Post
dstan, I mean, look at the nasioc techical section, the factory 2.0L powertrain is right below the N/A. That's what got me
that is true

I didn't know what you meant
dstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #25
Storm
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5218
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: SAUL'S Motorsports
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Default

If the car is in Limp Mode, it won't rev past 3500-4000 rpm and it was probably precluded by a FLASHING CEL.

This could be as simple as the MAP sensor not being plugged in or the VSS not working, or it's not in limp mode and the OP should stop at any discount auto parts store and have the codes read for free....it's too easy to diagnose this crap nowadays....help yourself a little bit.


Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help. im in limp mode! drifterx Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 6 01-04-2003 04:17 PM
Car in limp mode wont go away + dont know why its on ac_gohan Normally Aspirated Powertrain 12 01-16-2002 03:01 PM
Help car stuck in limp mode!!! ac_gohan Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 3 01-15-2002 05:28 PM
Ques: MAF = toasted; how long can i drive in limp mode? Orbiter Technical Forum Archive 6 06-12-2000 02:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.