Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday November 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
MikeyAE86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 185525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza wagon
White

Default -Help- Squealing noise. Im lost. Cash prize inside

So this has boggled my mind for a very long time. when i got the car it made this noise for about a week. i just drove it normal and it went away. now over a year later it has come back, and wont go away.

now its just a squealing noise, listen to the video, you'll hear it. It only happens when im turning left or when the suspension is compressed ( going over a bump)

its related to wheel speed, when it happens i can take it out of gear and shut the car off, and as i roll to a stop its steal squealing.

so ive looked at and eliminated the following:

fenderliners ( removed them)
CV boots ( greased them and there in amazing shape)
hanging lines, wires etc

i just dont understand what could be causing it..

If you can figure this out, ill give you $15. cash. thats how much this is driving me mad.

Ill post pics of anything you would like to see, im just stumped.

Thanks in advance
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MikeyAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 136396
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
SWP

That's very strange! I don't know if the symptoms are right but have you check the power steering pump? When was the last time you inspected/replaced the brakes?

Mike
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
MikeyAE86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 185525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza wagon
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
That's very strange! I don't know if the symptoms are right but have you check the power steering pump? When was the last time you inspected/replaced the brakes?

Mike
Ps pump is fine, fluid is full. checked the brakes last night and ten mins ago..

a member on another forum was saying it might be wheel bearings so i checked and no sign of play.

and it happens engine running or not, and in or out of gear so im 90% sure its not anything engine or trans related.
MikeyAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
snoopyone8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42970
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS BlkDmdPrl
2000 2.5RS SilverthornMet

That almost sounds like it could be something rubbing against the ABS Sensor Wheel, have you looked at that?
snoopyone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Henry H
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184330
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey Metallic

Is this on both sides?

If its happening from just turning wheels, it might be your bearings although it doesn't sound like bad bearings I'm used to hearing. Bearings that start to go bad won't show much play but can still be audible. Throw your car up on jackstands and rotate the offending wheels. Listen for any "growl" when you turn the wheels. Use your sense of touch too, as you turn the wheels by hand it should be smooth and no roughness.

Hope its not your diff. Check the fluids though...or maybe just change it for good measure. Its not hard or expensive.

Last edited by Henry H; 08-14-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Henry H is offline   Reply With Quote