Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
alenk37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211850
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
03 WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default left headlight fuse keeps blowing???

I have had an aftermarket hid kit on my bugeye for 2 years now with pretty much no problems up until now. I have had 4 fuses blow on me in the past 2 weeks, and the last 2 to blow, were back to back, so its blowing instantly. Any help would be deeply appreciated because on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being nikola tesla im probably a 1.3 at best when it comes to electricity
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
alenk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Henry H
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184330
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey Metallic

HIDs may use 35W as opposed to halogens using over 50W but HID ballasts also require higher INITIAL amperage to ignite a current through gas in the bulb (striking an arc), afterward the ballast should level out the wattage to about 35W. This would often require a higher rated fused (an extra 5 amps should do).

It might be possible that your kit is going bad and requires a higher initial current to charge the...hmmm its either an inductor or capacitor. Now try and use a fuse that is rated 5 amps more (anything higher increases chance of electrical fire). If that does not work, check the wires on your kit.

Seeing your expertise with electrical is pretty low. Search for HIR bulbs. They are a bit pricy but they are nice and bright with better longevity-to-brightness ratio than halogens.

Good luck.
Henry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
alenk37
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Thanks for the info henry... Im takin it to my boys shop after work, just wanted some input on what to look for and you were very informative, thanks again, my dad things one of the ground wires might be a little exposed so gonna take a look at everything when i get the chance
Old 08-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
alenk37
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Ever since i bought the kit, i had poblems sometimes when first turning on the lights it would start turning on ( or heating up til it became the brightest ) and the left head light would sometimes turn off then i would turn my lights back off and on and then it would stay on until i turned off my car so it seemed like there was an issue? I was told it was a bad ground but i cleaned, and sanded all my grounds, made sure no wires were touching each other and was never able to figure it out?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Henry H
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184330
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Dark Grey Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenk37 View Post
Thanks for the info henry... Im takin it to my boys shop after work, just wanted some input on what to look for and you were very informative, thanks again, my dad things one of the ground wires might be a little exposed so gonna take a look at everything when i get the chance
There is nothing wrong with ground wire exposure, unless your ground wire is prone to oxidation. Some ground wires are simply an un-insulated braid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenk37 View Post
...the left head light would sometimes turn off then i would turn my lights back off and on and then it would stay on until i turned off my car...

...made sure no wires were touching each other and was never able to figure it out?
If you have to switch off and on to get your HID to turn on and stay on, then it sounds like a faulty ballast. Wire touching is okay in this case, that is what wire insulation is for.
Henry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
alenk37
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Thanks henry, ill post and update once i get my resolution resolved... Hopefully in a couple hours