Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
avesfan101
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 143332
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: chicago, IL
Vehicle:
2004 wrx wagon stg 2
psm

Default

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It all started when my AC belt shredded and chewed a hole through my timing belt cover. It seemd like at that same time my airbag light came on. After having the car sit for about 2 weeks due to lack of time to fix it I finally got around to it. Just by having the car sit for that 2 weeks, the battery completely drained. It jumped started no problem but for the first 20 miles or so the volts would go anywhere from 13 while driving all the way down to 8 while stopped at idle. They got so low the rpm gauge was jumping around then didn't even register while at idle. After about 20 miles, the volts didn't jump nearly as much, from 13 down to 11ish. Even after 20 miles or so of driving, it has to be jumped. Possibly just a super dead battery? Obviously something is draining power. It has been for nearly 3 years and I have no clue what it is. Also while it was sitting I noticed that the battery terminals developed a blue foam like substance on them. What is this?
As far as the airbag light goes, I pulled the fuse and it was not blown. Any other solutions?

Thanks guys and sorry for rambling.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
avesfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

The crud on the battery terminals is corrosion. Remove the terminals, and clean everything thoroughly- battery posts, clamps (inside and out). Put it back together and check the voltage at the battery both with the engine off and running. Off should be 12.5V give or take a couple tenths, running should be 14 +/- 1/2V with the engine warmed up. If the voltage is low with the engine off, charge the battery on a charger and test it. If it's no good replace it.
Low voltage with the engine running and a good battery indicates a bad alternator, which could also account for some or all of your other problems, even the airbag light. Voltage that is too high (over 15 at operating temp) indicates a bad alternator as well, the regulator is inside it. Constant charging at too high a voltage will cause the battery to vent electrolyte and can promote excess corrosion on the terminals.
If, with a good battery and alternator you still get the airbag light then the code will have to be pulled to troubleshoot the issue.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.