Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-21-2002, 05:12 AM   #1
WRXTACY
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15339
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Midnight Black

Default Will the WRX ever get cams? cam gears...shafts...?

I always hear my friends talking about engine build up, they have like Si's and GSR's and because I have a WRX I wonder if there will be cams for our car? Is it because boxer engines are different? Or are they still in development? I hope we can squeeze more power out of our engine alone. thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WRXTACY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:50 AM   #2
mayhem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 19985
Vehicle:
2003 Evo 8
Blue

yes, if aftermarktet performance cams were created power gain could be obtained, but not without a big price tag. the power you get is not worth the $$ when compared to turbo mods. labor for replacing cams(something i wouldn't do without an experienced mechanic) would probably cost 2-3 times the amount of the cams. but if you have an n/a vehicle and plan on staying n/a that's another story.

chris
mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:39 AM   #3
Drover

Member#:
Default Re: Will the WRX ever get cams? cam gears...shafts...?

Quote:
Originally posted by WRXTACY
I always hear my friends talking about engine build up, they have like Si's and GSR's and because I have a WRX I wonder if there will be cams for our car? Is it because boxer engines are different? Or are they still in development? I hope we can squeeze more power out of our engine alone. thanks
I suspect the biggest factor is simply quantity. For every Impreza out there in the world, there's about 815 billion Hondas/Acuras. There's simply a much bigger market for the Honda parts, and economies of scale makes it cheaper per unit to build parts for those cars.

Also, don't forget that Subarus have 2 cylinder banks whereas the Si's and GS-R's only have one. Twice the parts, twice the labor... do the math.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

The WRX cams are tuned for pretty high RPMs as is for a single lobe (i.e. not vtec) camshaft. People are making peak power around 62000 RPM or so on modified engines. The TGVs partially compensate for the lower RPM cleanliness/stability, but people already complain about the rough idle, which is at least somewhat due to the cam profile.

Also, due to the rest of the valvetrain, higher lift camshafts often are not just drop in items, meaning you have to replace more than just the camshafts. The fact that it's a split motor means there are four camshafts also, not just two, increasing the price.

With cams costing several hundred, and valve springs, etc... costing a thousand or more, and installation another several hundred, for relatively small gains (for the money spent), there just isn't much of a market for them right now.

Cobb has a cam profiles for different levels of performance though, if you really want to do cams, but there's a whole lot more bang for the buck before you get there.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote