Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-22-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7958
Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Default autox alignment vs track alignment

I've seen many autox alignment reccomendations w/ front camber in the neighborhood of -1.5 and the rear near 0 to help promote oversteer. I'm thinking this may not be too great a setup for the track. I've also seen several autox alignments w/ toe out settings (some front, some rear, some both)- what effect would toe out have at track speeds?

I'd like to find a alignment that is autox friendly, but will perform well at speed, conceding this is a compromise.

My current specs are: front camber -1.5, rear -1.2 toe 0 front/rear.

Thanks

Big Sky
BIGSKYWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2002, 10:19 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

You're running much the same as I ran for the past year or so for combined open track and auto-x work. Yeah, it may not have been optimum for auto-xing, but I still kicked everyone's ass so it didn't really matter. And I just felt safer on track with 0 toe all around.

Toe out in the rear helps rotate the car for auto-xing, but I found on the track that having toe out in the rear makes the car want to step sideways under heavy braking. It felt purty cool to have to dial in a little bit of steering at the end of the straights, but probably not the smartest way to set the car up.

Toe out up front will help turn in, but again will tend to make the car feel darty during high speed braking. I think as you compress the front suspension under braking you add toe out anyway (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, starting with some static toe out up front will just make that effect worse.

I guess my input is to stay with what ya got - looks pretty good to me.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 07:27 PM   #3
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7958
Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Thanks Pat. I definitely can't complain w/ this alignment- it is effective in autox and at speed, no problems w/ tire wear either. There's probably more advantageous autox alignments (track as well) but this seems to be a good compromise between the two.

Big Sky
BIGSKYWRX is offline   Reply With Quote