Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 3, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
gurana
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255131
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS
OBP/Dark Gray

Default Figures...

A couple of weeks ago I got my first new car ever.'11 OBS to replace my first car, a '00 Hyundai Accent. I had that car since 2002 and only put about 70k miles on it in that time. I washed it by hand maybe once or twice. The only thing I ever did in terms of exterior care was to go through those touchless car washes at gas stations, which was rather infrequent. Paint was peeling off of the bumper and the hood was all messed up... but with this new car, I find that I actually care about how it looks, so I have been doing research about how to properly wash and maintain a car's exterior. I was going to give it its first wash at 1 week...

Well, my wife went into labor a little earlier than expected so that didn't happen. I was with her in the hospital all of last weekend while my mother-in-law stayed at my place to watch after my oldest. I left the OBS in the open spot next to our assigned spot in front of my townhouse. When I got home, I found that the driver's side back door had been dinged. Looks like a surface scratch with a little bit of greenish blue left in.(My wife's mom drives a car with a suspiciously similar paint job, and as she should have been the only person to park in a position to do this, I'm pretty sure it was her... though she denies it.)

Anyways, I'm just looking for a little advice on what to do about it. Harming my mother-in-law isn't really an option as she really came through for us when my wife went on bed rest. I'll give her the benefit of doubt.

I went to an autozone with a friend that knows more about this stuff than I do. I got some basic washing supplies since I still have to clean it. (I got it in black, BTW.) For the scratch, I picked up a bottle of nufinish scratch fixer (dont recall the actual product name.) Should that do the trick? Should what ever I do be followed up with some other step?

The only other item I got was a spray bottle of instant detail stuff, maguiars I think. I held off on getting things like a clay kit, polish, and wax because my friend suggested that: 1- a new car probably shouldn't need it, so I could wait; and 2- I'm likely to do more harm than good at this point in my learning process.

sent from mobile
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gurana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
AutoAesthetica
Former Vendor

Member#: 246785
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Couple of things:

New cars always benefit from being clayed and subsequently waxed, especially imported cars and leftover year end cars. Tons of contamination is sometimes found and its better to start even before you throw on your first coat of wax. But its up to you when you want to do this just make sure the car is just washed before you clay, and be prepared to wax or seal your finish as its completely bare now.

Second, Subaru paint is so soft, that mild products work wonders. If you have your reciept return the NuFinish and grab a meguiars product called SwirlX. Get a clean foam applicator, makes sure the car is clean, as in just washed and dry. Apply a dime sized amount to the applicator, spread over the area to be worked on, and work back and forth with EVEN flat pressure, up and down a few overlapping strokes, then side to side for a few even pressure overlapping strokes, as the product dries or clears visually, remove the residue and check your work. A couple applications may be needed.

This should probably work on any paint transfer, but claybar may work just as well. Same rules apply: Clean washed and dried car.

Sample progression would be wash, rinse, clay, dry, take care of scratch/paint transfer, then seal or wax.

Good luck

Last edited by AutoAesthetica; 09-05-2010 at 02:05 AM.
AutoAesthetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
gurana
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255131
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS
OBP/Dark Gray

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find a few hours in a day to get this all done

sent from mobile
gurana is offline   Reply With Quote