Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Rocky Mountains Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default Boulder RMIC'rs: teh eurojax needs a job.

Randomly, I decided to move to Boulder three weeks ago, from Alaska.

Three weeks have gone by, countless resumes have been sent out, and here I sit jobless.

Anyone got any job hookups? Specifically in the Art/Media/Design/TV/Film/Video/Radio field? Honestly, at this point I'll really do anything as long as it's above $15/hr.

I has a bachelor's degree in Justice and a minor in Journalism & Public Communications, for what it's worth.

RMIC rules!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Subr-man
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 169211
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: "Looks like the buster turned
Vehicle:
into a gearhead."
Goin' Back Old Skool

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojax View Post
I has a bachelor's degree.
This made me giggle. Sorry for the bad luck. Few places i would check becuase they made similar payscale as here in Utah; a friend of mine is a night cashier at Smith's grocer and they started him at at 13.75 hour, i hear jiffy lube is about 13 hr, and I worked at the airport in SLC for a while in making 15 hr loading frieght on the tarmac just to make ends meet. I know none of these are in tie with your degree but if its a pay check you need it may be a start.

Sorry I am in not in your area to be more help. Take care.

Have you checked local workforce department?

I dont know how you feel about putting miles on your car and it smelling of pizza but a few of my buddies are making 17 to 20 an hour.
Subr-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
kevosnowsti
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202097
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2001 Subaru 2.5rs
BRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojax View Post
Randomly, I decided to move to Boulder three weeks ago, from Alaska.

Three weeks have gone by, countless resumes have been sent out, and here I sit jobless.

Anyone got any job hookups? Specifically in the Art/Media/Design/TV/Film/Video/Radio field? Honestly, at this point I'll really do anything as long as it's above $15/hr.

I has a bachelor's degree in Justice and a minor in Journalism & Public Communications, for what it's worth.

RMIC rules!
AWDpirates.net is where most of the CO Subaru owners hang out. Check it out. I'm not in the front range so I can't really help you out.
kevosnowsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
axleon2
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 154117
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Midvale, Utah
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP

Default

www.qwest.com Then click on careers. If you are down with retail I believe there a few spots open in the CO area and they start you out at $36k minimum. If you are good you can make close to $60k. At the years end we are merging with another company and with your degree I bet you could move up quick when all the new openings are available.
axleon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Anub1s
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 81106
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SL,UT
Vehicle:
2014 Baby Mobile
Whitey White

Default

Hell dude, I didn't even know you were still active on this board. Wish I could help out. Good luck with everything.
Anub1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Gonz#75
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101841
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Draper, UT
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS
mostly black

Default

Sounds like you could go help the fire dept while you are out of work.
Being smart enough to get a bachelor degree, you should have been smart enough to send resume's BEFORE moving. just saying
Gonz#75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subr-man View Post
This made me giggle. Sorry for the bad luck. Few places i would check becuase they made similar payscale as here in Utah; a friend of mine is a night cashier at Smith's grocer and they started him at at 13.75 hour, i hear jiffy lube is about 13 hr, and I worked at the airport in SLC for a while in making 15 hr loading frieght on the tarmac just to make ends meet. I know none of these are in tie with your degree but if its a pay check you need it may be a start.

Sorry I am in not in your area to be more help. Take care.

Have you checked local workforce department?

I dont know how you feel about putting miles on your car and it smelling of pizza but a few of my buddies are making 17 to 20 an hour.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep pizza delivery in mind! Never know at this point.



Quote:
Originally Posted by axleon2 View Post
www.qwest.com Then click on careers. If you are down with retail I believe there a few spots open in the CO area and they start you out at $36k minimum. If you are good you can make close to $60k. At the years end we are merging with another company and with your degree I bet you could move up quick when all the new openings are available.
Retail would be tough, but we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
Hell dude, I didn't even know you were still active on this board. Wish I could help out. Good luck with everything.
I'm always active!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonz#75 View Post
Sounds like you could go help the fire dept while you are out of work.
Being smart enough to get a bachelor degree, you should have been smart enough to send resume's BEFORE moving. just saying
I did, actually. I was in Seattle for 3 weeks before the Colorado move. Still no luck.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Dragicon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112323
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 香港
Default

Boulder is so sick. I'll be up there tomorrow!

As for a job, my good friend works for an art school in denver... I will see if she has any info for you.
Dragicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
HamFist
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2112
Join Date: Aug 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
BRP

Default

If you're still transient-ish, consider other areas in the Front Range. Moving to Boulder as an unemployed techie means you moved to where a slew of other unemployed techies are. It's longer to get anywhere south from Boulder. Denver city limits do somewhat suck. However, I can get anywhere in the Front Range in less than 90 minutes from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs to Vail from Denver. Boulder, Highlands Ranch, Vail--they're the larger "bubbles" of communities but those bubbles are everywhere. It's funny how it's laid out because it grew into what it is. Everything eventually ran together where there used to be plenty of room.

Consider DTC businesses, the airports, Loveland, Ski areas, Casinos---maybe even dispensaries if you swing that way. There are opportunities around but it's really strange how the jobscape in Colorado has changed in 10 years from the tech boom to post-bust. There's no real patterns or trends for businesses around here right now. Growth is stagnant and the population is very mixed. Traditional Colorado industries changed and then disappeared pretty quietly. Manufacturing gave way to tech which disappeared overseas. Hopefully it's just the calm before the next storm. Colorado still hasn't escaped a "boom and bust" cycle of jobs. Sadly, pot dispensaries are the most small business activity Colorado has had in about 10 years. There are still a lot of empty buildings right now...

We're getting an ice racing team together out of Speedy in Aurora. Your Alaskan seat time might come in handy...

Last edited by HamFist; 09-09-2010 at 03:33 PM.
HamFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
anothernord
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193703
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Default

Being a dirty, homeless hippy is always a fallback.

Edit: I forgot to mention, yoar posting on the wrong website!

Most of us Coloradoans, save for a few, are on AWDpirates.net.

http://www.awdpirates.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=9
anothernord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
Benhart21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149617
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boulder
Default

Sorry, Boulder is full and on fire. Try again later.
Benhart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamFist View Post
If you're still transient-ish, consider other areas in the Front Range. Moving to Boulder as an unemployed techie means you moved to where a slew of other unemployed techies are. It's longer to get anywhere south from Boulder. Denver city limits do somewhat suck. However, I can get anywhere in the Front Range in less than 90 minutes from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs to Vail from Denver. Boulder, Highlands Ranch, Vail--they're the larger "bubbles" of communities but those bubbles are everywhere. It's funny how it's laid out because it grew into what it is. Everything eventually ran together where there used to be plenty of room.

Consider DTC businesses, the airports, Loveland, Ski areas, Casinos---maybe even dispensaries if you swing that way. There are opportunities around but it's really strange how the jobscape in Colorado has changed in 10 years from the tech boom to post-bust. There's no real patterns or trends for businesses around here right now. Growth is stagnant and the population is very mixed. Traditional Colorado industries changed and then disappeared pretty quietly. Manufacturing gave way to tech which disappeared overseas. Hopefully it's just the calm before the next storm. Colorado still hasn't escaped a "boom and bust" cycle of jobs. Sadly, pot dispensaries are the most small business activity Colorado has had in about 10 years. There are still a lot of empty buildings right now...

We're getting an ice racing team together out of Speedy in Aurora. Your Alaskan seat time might come in handy...
Thanks for the tips. It's been pretty weird throwing out 25+ resumes now and not hearing back from any of them. I've actually never tried this hard to find a job. I'd be down to race, hell, even watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernord View Post
Being a dirty, homeless hippy is always a fallback.

Edit: I forgot to mention, yoar posting on the wrong website!

Most of us Coloradoans, save for a few, are on AWDpirates.net.

http://www.awdpirates.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=9
Might just have to join up over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhart21 View Post
Sorry, Boulder is full and on fire. Try again later.
Seriously, then last night on the way back from Estes Park, Loveland caught on fire. Two weekends in a row with fire.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

Well, it's 3 weeks later and I'm still exactly where I started. I have sent out over 35 cover letter/resume e-mails, and probably 20 via-website resume submissions. I have received only one call/e-mail regarding a position, and that was a temp agency recruiter.

I stopped applying for "dream jobs" and started applying for jobs I could get. Security guard, admin assistant, data entry. Nothing, nada. I have a freaking bachelor of arts degree. It shouldn't be this hard.

So to recap, over 50 applications sent in, basically zero calls. Incredible, simply incredible.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojax View Post
I have a freaking bachelor of arts degree. It shouldn't be this hard.
Overqualified. To land a job in a market like this you either need to be an uneducated yokel that will be thrilled to do menial labor and get paid jack for it, or a brain surgeon that people will die without.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
anothernord
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193703
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Default

Try surrounding towns a cities, like Longmont, Fort Collins, Loveland etc. Boulder has an extremely high cost of living anyway.
anothernord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #16
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

Still nada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernord View Post
Try surrounding towns a cities, like Longmont, Fort Collins, Loveland etc. Boulder has an extremely high cost of living anyway.
I have done that, mostly Louisville, Broomfield and Superior. Longmont is kinda dirty.

Really not sure what I'm supposed to do but wait at this point.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
Kentrik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125937
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: 4894' above sea level.
Vehicle:
03 WRX I do not
like your tweed, chap.

Default

Longmont is kinda dirty, Greeley is a total dump. I loved Loveland and FoCo.

Keepin my fingers crossed for you, mang!
Kentrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

So is everyone, it seems. Still nothing. Completely rewrote my resume today.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
KazamaJin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 109876
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Grand Junction
Vehicle:
1360 monkey power...
Thanks Dave Coleman...

Default

Go federal...Park Service, BLM, Forest Service own a lot of land out here...maybe a functional resume tailored towards the "Recreation Technician" field would be a viable option.
KazamaJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #20
Dragicon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112323
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 香港
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojax View Post
So is everyone, it seems. Still nothing. Completely rewrote my resume today.
If you need any help with your resume, let me know. I am an engineer, but I used to recruit for my previous job, and I have a pretty good idea what is a good or bad resume.... They even sent me back to CU to interview prospective engineers.

G
Dragicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #21
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

Had a job, hated it, but was gunna stick with it, had an interview with a better job, had to "suspend employment" at the other job to interview with the new job, new job thinks i'm overqualified, probably won't hire me. I can reinstate my employment with the job I had November 8th if all goes well.

Damn this is insane!
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
08WhiteRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187453
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
2012 Mulletmobile

Default

Longmount may be dirty but harvey is up there. Worth a Chat for sure.
08WhiteRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #23
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteRex View Post
Longmount may be dirty but harvey is up there. Worth a Chat for sure.
Who is Harvey?
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #24
Benhart21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 149617
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boulder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojax View Post
Who is Harvey?
http://www.theboostcreepltd.com/
Benhart21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
eurojax
Review Crew
 
Member#: 34269
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Louisville, CO
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default

Ahh gotcha. I've been applying to lots of Longmont stuff now too.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where the hell is teh Eurojax? under pressure Off-Topic 14 07-27-2006 08:56 PM
Lost my Job, Need a Job. yebokmj South East Region Forum 7 06-22-2006 10:27 PM
OHhhh5 No35 teh Eurojax h4s teh F33lings! Georgethefierce Off-Topic 39 11-23-2005 10:14 AM
Does eurojax need to get out more? WagonMonster Off-Topic 9 10-23-2005 05:15 PM
Why 1 beer mess up teh eurojax? and 5 shots of whiskey don't? grap? eurojax Off-Topic 7 10-17-2004 10:55 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.