Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Fmjhp594
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 120743
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
White

Question How do I remove house paint from my car?

I picked up a used miata last week. Theres a decent amount of splatter/spray and lines of house paint on the passenger side of the car. Massive amounts under the car and in the wheel wells, but I don't care about those areas. Its from when the old owner drove through a puddle of wet house paint.... at speed... 'a few years ago'....

I tried using some rubbing compound on a few of the smaller splatter marks, it worked with a lot of time and effort. I also tried using a clay bar, that did nothing. The paint is thick, its not feasible to use rubbing compound to get all of it off. I was thinking of trying goof-off, but I'm afraid it might etch the clear coat or something.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Or perhaps first hand experience of what did or didn't work?

Thanks!
Mike
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Fmjhp594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Smoke
Scooby Guru

Member#: 172486
Vehicle:
95 V4 STi-RA swap
Stage 49.8

Goo gone?

I bet the paint is oil based...
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Fmjhp594
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
White

Do we know if goo-gone is safe for the clear coat?

I dont want to find out the hard way that it will take off the house paint and the clear coat....

I understand the wax will be removed, but I plan on waxing it right after getting the tan house paint off of the silver car.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
kbobomber89
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 231418
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

depending on the paint...try acetone. or thinner. if those dont work....wet sand buff it =/
kbobomber89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
Fmjhp594
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
White

Acetone... hmm got plenty of that in the garage...

I'll try putting some of that on a rag and rubbing the paint off tomorrow. See if that works...
Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
Void16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 200954

Generally when I see people that have swapped paint due to running into something or bumpers colliding it can be buffed off.

Find a friend or a local detailer that can buff it for you.
Void16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
cristianosREX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 231701
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
03 wrx
sonic yella

if you're going to use "goof-off" be careful not to rub to hard/much, let it sit/soak or over saturate the rag. Just use caution and wash the area right after you're finished.
cristianosREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Fmjhp594
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
White

Well just for an update, acetone and goof-off didn't work. Goof-off would, but you had to soak small areas for over five minutes and then rub like no tomorrow... not time effective at all...

I was able to get it off using an 'eraser wheel' from a body shop. I had one from a previous adventure and figured I'd give it a try... It worked wonders.