Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
darren94
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 138697
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
11 WRX Limited 5DR
Satin Pearl

Default Help with fixing my paint issue.

Over that last few weeks, i have been researching how to fix the swirls in my 09 WRB wrx sedan. After much research and some ideas from some very helpful members, i thought i had this solved.

Long story short, the dealer washed my car when purchased new with a VERY dirty sponge and it left bad swirl/spider web looking defects in the paint. Here is a list of what i have done to fix the problem.

-washed car with dawn to strip all the over the counter products i have been using
-used a lake country white foam pad on a rotary with menzerna super intensive polish on all surfaces
-rewashed using foam gun
-applied collinite insulator wax with an orbital and removed by hand

Now, MOST of the swirls/spider webs are gone and the paint does look much better but, all of my surfaces still have some imperfections that i cannot seem to remove. When i look at the paint at night under the glow of a bright parking lot light, i can see very small specs in the paint. These are mostly on the hood, roof and trunk lid but i cant feel them and i am having trouble diagnosing what they are or what caused it.

So yesterday i tried using the clay bar on the hood then re polishing and re waxing but, the specs are still there.

any ideas?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
darren94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
darren94
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
11 WRX Limited 5DR
Satin Pearl

Here is a link to a picture.. This is before the swirls were removed but, you can still see the specs in the paint surface.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee494/Darren_Smith1/Paint.jpg?t=1284057428
Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
AutoAesthetica
Former Vendor

Member#: 246785
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Darren,

Those little marks(the dot shaped things) are VERY common in multiple paint types. It is tough to say from the picture but sometimes paints(even OEM) have things similar to almost a solvent pop, but not the same type that happens with poor quality repaints. Where sometimes they develop these little marks. Solvent pop is typically consistent in some manner over the whole vehicle and considering thats OEM paint is highly unlikely

Some people have theorized spots like that are merely from driving the car and little things that strike at high speed creating a little divot in the clear.

We see this all the time, we polish a car to perfect, but these little specs are still there. We can't chase them down as we don't know how deep they really are.

But strong chances are if they are on all the horizontal surfaces it is some type of etching from small amounts of rain water or bee poop over time or quickly if the surface isn't protected.

My money is on etching(especially if the spots are irregular or blob shaped) because solvent pop is typically quite regular in shape and usually has a circular shape. Subaru paint is so darn soft, that etching on an unprotected surface can happen SUPER FAST. Like in the blink of an eye. Water pools in the shallow etchings, then can dry and the mineralization left behind creates an even deeper(relative of course) etch. So its cyclic almost if the surface isn't protected.

My money is on etching because its on all the horizontal surfaces and you didn't notice much on the vertical surfaces. Etching from environmental things can range from wide flat spots to tiny little dots like you are seeing.
AutoAesthetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
darren94
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
11 WRX Limited 5DR
Satin Pearl

being a perfectionist, it sucks. I will take more pictures this afternoon and post them up to see if there is any additional clarification.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
AutoAesthetica
Former Vendor

Member#: 246785
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

I hear that

You used SIP instead of 106? How did you like them?
AutoAesthetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

….one thing I might add is that you should consider starting with a test panel/section in the future. Use that area to test your products/tools and choose the combination that delivers the result you’re after before continuing with the rest of the vehicle. Put the car under various lighting, pull it out in the Sun, etc. during your inspection. ….it can save you a lot of time and frustration. Obviously, there are some blemishes/defects that you will simply not be able to correct (as mentioned), but a test area can at least help identify some of those hurdles so you can plan accordingly (vs. being disappointed after completing the entire car when the outcome is not what you expect).
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
darren94
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
11 WRX Limited 5DR
Satin Pearl

^^ Kean, i was just excited about trying a bunch of new products on the car!!LOL

I did do the hood and look to see if the swirls were gone(which they were) but, i did not notice the "spots" until i was done