Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Vancouver Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
asherbo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113143
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Coquitlam
Vehicle:
06 bib funk
world rally brown

Default new speeding law

i thought i read somewhere on this site about getting your car impounded with excessive speeding. heres the link.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...-campbell.html


C.N.

If caught speeding 40km/h over

First time offence;
Car impounded for 1 week so all the tow and storage fees about $500
$700 ticket
3 points
ICBC will take Premium Charge $3xx / year for next 3 years

Second Time Offence;
Car impounded for 30 days so all the tow and storage fees about $1500
$1000 ticket
3 points
ICBC will take Premium Charge $3xx / year for next 3 years
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
asherbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Qbase
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 190160
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Vehicle:
2007 WRX STI
World rally blue

Default

one of the toughest laws in north america to get a ticket for speeding. too bad crazy ass drivers made it this way.
Qbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Jeff54
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129503
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: reppin fort langleeey
Vehicle:
2002 It's resting
6 > 4?

Default

downright oppressive....

our government = nazis...straight up...nazis
Jeff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
tora
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5851
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff54 View Post
downright oppressive....

our government = nazis...straight up...nazis
Weren't the Nazi's all about killin'da'jews?
Whereas these laws are meant (not say they will) save lives....including Jewish folks?
tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tora View Post
Weren't the Nazi's all about killin'da'jews?
No. That was a relatively small part of their platform. They were mostly about social control. The holocaust is just the most widely publicized 'policy' they had.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
tryallzee
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179947
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Langley B.C.
Vehicle:
1999 4runner
97' Integra

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff54 View Post
downright oppressive....

our government = nazis...straight up...nazis
Agreed !!
tryallzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
tora
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 5851
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
09 Forester XT
+ NA Miata

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
No. That was a relatively small part of their platform. They were mostly about social control. The holocaust is just the most widely publicized 'policy' they had.
Tell that to the Jewish community....
tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
timbits
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 166183
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Burnaby
Vehicle:
2007 2.5i SE
Newport Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherbo View Post
Car impounded for 1 week so all the tow and storage fees about $500
$700 ticket
3 points
ICBC will take Premium Charge $3xx / year for next 3 years
Do the math: that's ~$2000 give or take for your first offence!!

Time to invest in that counter-detection/jamming package that I've been thinking about getting...
timbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tora View Post
Tell that to the Jewish community....
Who do you think produces all the movies?
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
jaydow11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 138952
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Kelowna, BC
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
Pearl White

Default

jaydow11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
mooojooo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121080
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Google ^_^
Vehicle:
Who Dem?

Default

I would be interested in seeing the evidence behind this. Even though I know government decisions most if not always do not require logic.
mooojooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Keiho
Sea to Sky - OWNED
Moderator
 
Member#: 610
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
Graphite Gray Pearl

Default

Wait, so because if you willingly drive 40km over the speed limit and are then apprehended and given these new punishments the government is at fault and are part of a fascist political group?

Silly me, I always thought that if I break the law it was my own fault...now that I know it's not my fault and it's just "the man" trying to oppress and keep me down that makes life so much more awesome!
Keiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiho View Post
Wait, so because if you willingly drive 40km over the speed limit and are then apprehended and given these new punishments the government is at fault and are part of a fascist political group?

Silly me, I always thought that if I break the law it was my own fault...now that I know it's not my fault and it's just "the man" trying to oppress and keep me down that makes life so much more awesome!
Would you not agree that throwing someone into a pit of boiling lead would be unfair for the crime of stealing a loaf of bread?

The person has CHOSEN to steal, does that mean they should be subject to a arbitrarily harsh punishment?

Coupled with the fact that BC has ridiculously low speeding limits, and this is not just.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
sandman21_21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152118
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
1999 RBP 2.5RS Sold
1998 RBP WRX swap XO GC

Default

So knowingly driving 70+ through a school zone should not be punished?
sandman21_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman21_21 View Post
So knowingly driving 70+ through a school zone should not be punished?
Sure it should. Any infraction of the law should carry a penalty. But they already had penalties.

Instead of just making the laws harsher, maybe they should look at why people are breaking them? Unless of course, it's just a big cash grab...
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Keiho
Sea to Sky - OWNED
Moderator
 
Member#: 610
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
Graphite Gray Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Would you not agree that throwing someone into a pit of boiling lead would be unfair for the crime of stealing a loaf of bread?

The person has CHOSEN to steal, does that mean they should be subject to a arbitrarily harsh punishment?

Coupled with the fact that BC has ridiculously low speeding limits, and this is not just.
I'm not saying that the punishment is just, that's a whole different debate. The main point of these new laws is not to punish, but rather to deter. Do I speed? Of course I do, from time to time. Do I speed excessively? I have, and on very few rare occasions. Will I speed excessively in the future now that these new punitive laws are in place? Not very likely unless I have a very good reason that outweighs the punishment should I be apprehended.

It's like nations with a nuclear deterrent, everyone knows just how horrific Hiroshima and Nagasaki was, will anyone ever be crazy and stupid enough to try and aggravate another nation to the point of using nuclear weapons again? Not likely as the whole point of nuclear deterrence is mutually assured destruction which negates the whole point of fighting as no one wins.
Keiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
sandman21_21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152118
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
1999 RBP 2.5RS Sold
1998 RBP WRX swap XO GC

Default

Maybe because some people don't fully understand the consequences of if something happened when they were going 40+ over the speed limit. Not all people drive performance cars that could stop on a dime or react quickly enough in certain situations. There are a lot of stupid drivers and the bar is normally set to the lowest common denominator..
sandman21_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
Keiho
Sea to Sky - OWNED
Moderator
 
Member#: 610
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
Graphite Gray Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Sure it should. Any infraction of the law should carry a penalty. But they already had penalties.

Instead of just making the laws harsher, maybe they should look at why people are breaking them? Unless of course, it's just a big cash grab...
In all honesty, most people who are regulars here and that I've seen come into the club and grow with it all seem to be level headed responsible people. Will this really affect them?

It seems to me the ones with the fastest cars and like to drive their cars hard do so at autocrosses or track days and just baby their cars when they aren't racing legally. Who cares if this law affects only the dumb and arrogant?
Keiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman21_21 View Post
Maybe because some people don't fully understand the consequences of if something happened when they were going 40+ over the speed limit. Not all people drive performance cars that could stop on a dime or react quickly enough in certain situations. There are a lot of stupid drivers and the bar is normally set to the lowest common denominator..
Or because in many places people drive 40 over the limit because the limit is set 30 below what it should be, according to the people who designed the damned road. Cops need to spend less time going after competent drivers who are driving quickly and more time going after the moron teleconferencing while eating a cheeseburger and making manouvers without signalling.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiho View Post
In all honesty, most people who are regulars here and that I've seen come into the club and grow with it all seem to be level headed responsible people. Will this really affect them?

It seems to me the ones with the fastest cars and like to drive their cars hard do so at autocrosses or track days and just baby their cars when they aren't racing legally. Who cares if this law affects only the dumb and arrogant?
There are many stretches of road here and elsewhere in BC that I feel the speed limit is far too low. I drive accordingly.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #21
Keiho
Sea to Sky - OWNED
Moderator
 
Member#: 610
Join Date: Dec 1999
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
Graphite Gray Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Cops need to spend less time going after competent drivers who are driving quickly and more time going after the moron teleconferencing while eating a cheeseburger and making manouvers without signalling.
And how do you propose they do that?

Seems to me they already are targeting the majority of irresponsible drivers no?
Keiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #22
sandman21_21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152118
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle:
1999 RBP 2.5RS Sold
1998 RBP WRX swap XO GC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Or because in many places people drive 40 over the limit because the limit is set 30 below what it should be, according to the people who designed the damned road.

Maybe (I can think of a few places on the S2S where I would agree), but again.. the speed is also based on the worst conditions. You could bomb around 130+ on a 90 zone and be fine on a nice sunny day, but the speed is designed based on avg tires, avg driver, avg car, crappy road conditions/lighting. If you set the speed limit to 130 in that same section, you'd be right on the edge of what is "safe" for the general public, and enough idiots wouldn't adjust their speed for the less than optimal conditions. Then people would be suing the government claiming that the roads weren't safe at the speeds posted. I think this is much less of a cash grab, and much more of a "we have statistics that indicate driving at these speeds are unsafe for the driver and others on the road, and to mitigate the risk, we choose to post lower speed limits and penalize drivers who ignore them blatantly".

- I can also tell you from an MoT point of view, that these roads are designed and assigned speed limits based on engineered designs. As much as some people would like to hear it, they don't just pull numbers out of the air. And as mentioned above, there are a variety of safety factors considered.
sandman21_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman21_21 View Post
Maybe (I can think of a few places on the S2S where I would agree), but again.. the speed is also based on the worst conditions. You could bomb around 130+ on a 90 zone and be fine on a nice sunny day, but the speed is designed based on avg tires, avg driver, avg car, crappy road conditions/lighting. If you set the speed limit to 130 in that same section, you'd be right on the edge of what is "safe" for the general public, and enough idiots wouldn't adjust their speed for the less than optimal conditions. Then people would be suing the government claiming that the roads weren't safe at the speeds posted. I think this is much less of a cash grab, and much more of a "we have statistics that indicate driving at these speeds are unsafe for the driver and others on the road, and to mitigate the risk, we choose to post lower speed limits and penalize drivers who ignore them blatantly".
What bothers me is the system is left totally open to abuse. So say they do set the limits for poor conditions and bad drivers, if the penalties put forth are absolute, you can't argue infront of a judge that it was good conditions and you are a competent driver.

If a cop doesn't like you, doesn't like your car, doesn't like your attitude, didn't get laid last night or anything else, he can pull you over on a bright sunny day on an empty straight stretch of highway for doing 121km/h in an 80 and impound your car. And there's nothing you can do about it, because 80km is the LIMIT. Not the recommnded speed.

Where's the 1 month impound for driving with your knees or the 1 week for making a left turn into the right hand lane?

Where's all these tough penalties for the people who cause 95% of the accidents on the road that get ignored because they rarely cause fatalities?
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
Splinter
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 106510
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Vehicle:
98 Widebody 2.2
Smooth Safety Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiho View Post
And how do you propose they do that?

Seems to me they already are targeting the majority of irresponsible drivers no?
How many people do you know who've gotten a speeding ticket?

How many do you know that have gotten tickets for other dangerous driving behaviour?
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #25
Jeff54
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129503
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: reppin fort langleeey
Vehicle:
2002 It's resting
6 > 4?

Default

Keiho, I've tried to think of a nice way to put this, but I cant. You are a ****ing pansy. If you are OK with having a government that has the right to pull you over for speeding, seize your property WITHOUT a trial, on the spot, and then charge you over 2000$ to get your property back then you are a little bitch. We live in a society where you are Innocent until proven guilty, where you have the right to a fair and public hearing before being punished for a crime. Thats why when you get a ticket, before you are forced to pay it, you have the right to dispute it.

Thousands of people have died to protect these rights, and little bitches like you simply bend over and smile while the government rapes them away from you. You dont even care that with these laws you are sacrificing your right to a trial. What happens if a cop doesn't like you for whatever personal reason, decides hey, im gonna impound this guys car, and says u were going 40 over when you were doing the speed limit? Well of course you werent speeding, you can cry and bitch on the side of the road to the cop all you want, but in the end you have no rights, that ******* is taking your car.


it's not about whether or not going 40K over the speed limit is bad, we get it, you are a ****ing saint man, you're such a goody two shoes, your mother must be so proud, lets just call u ****ing Jesus because you dont speed, you're so much better than all of us little punks.....it's about having the right to be fairly punished for your "crime"....and if you think the police officer, who is NOT a judge, nor a jury should have the right to impound your car on the spot without you having the right to dispute it, if you think thats fair, then you're a moron
Jeff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYI: new Florida excessive speed law in effect strohausii South East Region Forum 36 10-23-2008 11:43 PM
New Oregon Law- Speed in School Zones - Stroke of brilliance jgradke Off-Topic 32 07-02-2004 12:12 PM
Speed Laws 2000vfr800 Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 1 04-16-2002 10:32 PM
People who know ga speeding laws DoctorNick South East Region Forum 16 10-05-2001 10:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.