Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Andirkanod
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 170283
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default BIG! wiring problem

TIA for any info or help with my problem, it is appreciated!

some car info:
2003 WRB WRX
2nd owner
no issues at all whatsoever

About 2 months ago I did a front end swap and put on an 04-05 sti front end. I wired the headlights knowing that the grounding wire and headlight wire could possibly melt. Well they melted because the wire was circled around itself and touching in 3 different places making the wire super hot, therefore causing the melt. I could see a little smoke coming out of my dash so i pulled over immediately to see what the issue was. A small fire on my battery! the wire had melted into my battery! I quickly pulled the wires apart while the car was will on. Bad idea! I'm pretty sure when i did that I shorted a lot of fuses. The car is still driveable but the speedometer is out, my windows dont work, turn signals, horn, headlights. But the stereo works the rpm's, work, brake lights and the clock works. So I'm hoping that I will need to change out the fuse's for all of those things and I'll need to rewire the headlight and this time make sure they cant melt. Thank you!

**I just want to make sure I'm correct in that changing the fuses it will make the issue go away. well everything but the headlights is my main concern right now.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Andirkanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andirkanod View Post
About 2 months ago I did a front end swap and put on an 04-05 sti front end. I wired the headlights knowing that the grounding wire and headlight wire could possibly melt.
If you knew, then why would you go ahead with the modification?

Quote:
Well they melted because the wire was circled around itself and touching in 3 different places making the wire super hot, therefore causing the melt. I could see a little smoke coming out of my dash so i pulled over immediately to see what the issue was.
You may have in fact melted wires behind the dash, burned out fuses and relays, as well as for having caused damage to the instrument cluster and so-on.

Quote:
A small fire on my battery! the wire had melted into my battery! I quickly pulled the wires apart while the car was still on. Bad idea! I'm pretty sure when i did that I shorted a lot of fuses.
Is the battery still sealed or is there now a hole in it or are any of the battery cables melted?

Quote:
The car is still driveable but the speedometer is out, my windows dont work, turn signals, horn, headlights. But the stereo works the rpm's, work, brake lights and the clock works.
See second response above.

Quote:
So I'm hoping that I will need to change out the fuses for all of those things...
At a minimum you can check for blown-out fuses and replace them. You need to realize that there is a main fuse and relay box next to the battery under the hood, as well as for the fuse and relay board behind the driver's lower dash.

Quote:
...and I'll need to rewire the headlight and this time make sure they cant melt.
I'm curious as to how you wired the headlights in the first place so that you don't commit yourself to a repeat performance.[/quote]

Quote:
**I just want to make sure I'm correct in that changing the fuses it will make the issue go away. well everything but the headlights is my main concern right now.
At a minimum you can try and find-out, but with electrical problems as you have described end up being much, much more involved than just this.

Good luck!
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote