Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 7, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
choleaoum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255484
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2010 EVO
2002 WRX

Default Question regarding the rotation of the cams when changing timing belt..

Alright so I read about on the driver side cam gears, that the intake should only be roated clock-wise, and the exhaust should be rotated only counter-clockwise.. what about the passenger side pulleys? Same rules apply?
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
stretchedk7
Scooby Guru

Member#: 170602
Vehicle:
06 Wrx RWD Auto
76MM-AEM-2200's

I always do the passenger side the same way except I turn the intake counter and exhaust clock wise thats on the passenger side though of course. I dont really worry about the pass side though since the driver side is the one thats loaded and therefore if the tools slip and the cam gears both spin towards the inside you can get valve to valve action. Just set your pass side gears and then when you do your driver sides make sure they spin the way you posted and you will be fine.
stretchedk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
stretchedk7
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 Wrx RWD Auto
76MM-AEM-2200's

And since none of what I just posted answered your question I personally spin the passenger sides however is closest to lining up the marks and have never had any problems. I just make sure the drivers side is perfect and I am spinning them as subaru states they should be. GL
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
stretchedk7
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 Wrx RWD Auto
76MM-AEM-2200's

And once you get the timing set remember the marks will never line up again after you spin the crank so make sure your marks are perfect (use the marks on timing belt-dotted line is crank) and then when your all done rotate the crank shaft with a breaker bar or something and make sure your all smooth and no interference. You will know it if you did it wrong.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
choleaoum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255484
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2010 EVO
2002 WRX

Great! Thank you for your response, just wanted to make sure before I actually started doing it I should be fine now haha.
choleaoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
sense of nature
Scooby Guru

Member#: 112759
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 STi Mikey Tuned
SexyRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchedk7 View Post
And once you get the timing set remember the marks will never line up again after you spin the crank
My marks always line up again? Do you mean on the T belt? Then yes
sense of nature is offline   Reply With Quote