Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
onelostsoldier
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99838
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SEPA
Vehicle:
2005 2.5 FXT STG II
Cayenne Red

Default SOB!!! Paintballed!!!

Someone decided to hitup my wifes car with some paintballs......any idea of what is good to take it off without ruining the paint? I tries taking it to the cars wash which was later that day when I got home, so it sat in the sun all day. Any Ideas????? Thanks.

Chris
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
onelostsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
orfsubarupartsdude
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 104453
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Big Ron's my hero
Vehicle:
2010 FXT
OBP

Default

the last i remember,some paintballs are water based. Have you tried cleaning it by hand with a wash mit or sponge?
orfsubarupartsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Jessekrs123
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236927
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Oakville CT
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy Sedan
1984 BRAT

Default

Yes, paintballs should come off with water. Spray it down, see if they run off, if not, give it a little scrubbing. It shouldn't leave any damage.
Jessekrs123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Ryan314
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82989
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Hybrid VF22

Default

Most likely you will have damage from the impact and the shards of the shell of the paintball though.
Ryan314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Scooby921
Merci Buckets
Moderator
 
Member#: 88606
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Clarkston
Vehicle:
2011 GMC Sierra
'13 JCW

Default

The paint itself is washable, but usually a thick waxy/oily consistency. Its designed to clean up, but not easily (I play on occasion). Spraying the car with a hose won't get it all off. You are going to need to get out a sponge or rag to scrub a bit to get the waxy/oily residue off.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Kupkake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 213288
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Delran NJ
Vehicle:
2007 SWP VF39 WRX
Sti Mikey Tuned

Default

Paintball paint, 95% of the time, is water soluble.

Pending on how long the paint has sat on the car, attempt warm warm first.
If that fails, try warm with a little dish soap.
IF that fails, the paint isn't going to soak or seep into the cars finish, I'd say light clay work with a mild abrasive cleaner will work.

Don't worry about shards. Paintball shells are not shells (like and egg) they are casings.

NOTE: Paintball paint will ALWAYS be removed with water unless its hi-grade tournament paint, which I doubt these kids had. Hi-Grade paint is thicker tho, if this has run down the side of the car its cheaper paint and should come right off with enough water and very mild abrasion.
Kupkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
onelostsoldier
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99838
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SEPA
Vehicle:
2005 2.5 FXT STG II
Cayenne Red

Default

thanks....it is everywhere, it hit the rear window then splatered on the roof and hood.....little pricks
onelostsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
polarisboy385
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222041
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Biloxi MS
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
PRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupkake View Post
Paintball paint, 95% of the time, is water soluble.

Pending on how long the paint has sat on the car, attempt warm warm first.
If that fails, try warm with a little dish soap.
IF that fails, the paint isn't going to soak or seep into the cars finish, I'd say light clay work with a mild abrasive cleaner will work.

Don't worry about shards. Paintball shells are not shells (like and egg) they are casings.

NOTE: Paintball paint will ALWAYS be removed with water unless its hi-grade tournament paint, which I doubt these kids had. Hi-Grade paint is thicker tho, if this has run down the side of the car its cheaper paint and should come right off with enough water and very mild abrasion.

this, it will come off with dish soap,

the casing is a thin rubber shell, it is slightly flexible, unless its dented the paint there should be no damage,
and i can guarantee you these kids didnt buy tournament grade paint, at 65-70 bucks a case for that stuff people dont buy it to waste it.


unless your wife was driving in this neighborhood

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/18/r...aintball-guns/
polarisboy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
burtonboarder230
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 256998
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Nashua,NH
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
wrb

Default

even the tournament grade stuff is just thick and designed to stain fabric, the shell on the tournament grade stuff is actually more brittle then the stuff people buy at wal mart... Take it from someone who's washed many cars that were covered in paintballs after a tournament... stuff should come right off... maybe a dent or two if they were shot with high enough velocity and a harder shell but paint itself should come off with water and a little soap to get rid of the oily crap
burtonboarder230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
rwdbugeye
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 238239
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Midd-Tenn
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisboy385 View Post
this, it will come off with dish soap,

the casing is a thin rubber shell, it is slightly flexible, unless its dented the paint there should be no damage,
and i can guarantee you these kids didnt buy tournament grade paint, at 65-70 bucks a case for that stuff people dont buy it to waste it.


unless your wife was driving in this neighborhood

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/18/r...aintball-guns/

I would make me if someone did that to me. If that happened I would comeback and and shoot their house with one.
rwdbugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
J03
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 256378
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisboy385 View Post
unless your wife was driving in this neighborhood

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/18/r...aintball-guns/
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdbugeye View Post
I would make me if someone did that to me. If that happened I would comeback and and shoot their house with one.
Not to mention that people aren't trained to judge speed. I was going the speed limit (literally) once in a bright red wrangler with the top down and music playing. For some reason, the sight of 4 teenagers in a bright car caused a group of people on their front porch to yell at me to slow down. I immediately stopped and informed them that I was driving the speed limit in a less than friendly way which caused them to run into their home.

Last edited by J03; 09-15-2010 at 02:43 PM.
J03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
jxkim
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239150
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen, NJ
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Sedan

Default

i would be more worried about dents
jxkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #13
FL4TFTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256953
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

My car has never been hit by a paintball, but if it's any thing like getting egged (my civic got 2 dozen) they will leave a bunch of small chips in a circle around the point of impact.
FL4TFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 AM   #14
stwang314
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170474
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Saint Louis
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
white

Default

I would try washing it with the culprits blood.
stwang314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #15
lumberchicken
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 125575
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: censureville
Vehicle:
1947 Woody

Default

soap and water will take care of the paint
lumberchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #16
vinxH
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 159796
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Default

for those of you who said the paintball shell wont damage the paint... how much do you know about paintball? ever got shot by one? the shell+impact can do damage to the paint. and paintballs can be flying at up to 350 feets per second from the average POS gun that you can find at walmart. i would even say that if your car paint is NOT damaged nor dented, you got lucky. if you get shot bareskin by paintballs, it's pretty common to get cut marks and/or slight bleeding, from the shattered shells slicing your skin.

and while the paint is just an oil that is water-soluble, they can leave stains if it sat on your car for some time. pink paint is famous for staining white cars.

Last edited by vinxH; 09-17-2010 at 03:56 AM.
vinxH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #17
pb4life31
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 215912
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza 2.5i
Topaz Gold Metallic

Default

Your lucky they didn't use "Ultra Evil" paint if you leave that on a car in the sun it will dye the paint yellow i've had experience with it on my old ford explorer.
pb4life31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #18
maddog39
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 242919
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Conshohocken, PA
Vehicle:
2011 Outback 6MT
SSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdbugeye View Post
I would make me if someone did that to me. If that happened I would comeback and and shoot their house with one.
I would pull the hand brake, come to a screeching halt and deck someone....
maddog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #19
FL4TFTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256953
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4life31 View Post
Your lucky they didn't use "Ultra Evil" paint if you leave that on a car in the sun it will dye the paint yellow i've had experience with it on my old ford explorer.
Ultra evil is great paint haha.
FL4TFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
LiCelsior
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182551
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

after washing it, clay bar it and it should be minty clean again.
LiCelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #21
sonic03rex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40534
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville, NC // Palm Beach,FL
Vehicle:
2008 STI
M3, and more

Default

a lot of paintballs are actually water/soap based so you'll be fine. Just give it a good wash.
sonic03rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
polarisboy385
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 222041
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Biloxi MS
Vehicle:
2009 Impreza 2.5i
PRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinxH View Post
for those of you who said the paintball shell wont damage the paint... how much do you know about paintball? ever got shot by one? the shell+impact can do damage to the paint. and paintballs can be flying at up to 350 feets per second from the average POS gun that you can find at walmart. i would even say that if your car paint is NOT damaged nor dented, you got lucky. if you get shot bareskin by paintballs, it's pretty common to get cut marks and/or slight bleeding, from the shattered shells slicing your skin.

and while the paint is just an oil that is water-soluble, they can leave stains if it sat on your car for some time. pink paint is famous for staining white cars.
I know that paitnball gradees have a lot to do, a cheaper paintball will be easier to chop inside a marker whyere tournament grade is stiffer, when you p,ay in a tournament they will use something like oh say.... diablo paint that versus woodsball paint will determine severity of impact of and damage of paint to follow. Alsodependant on how close they were when they shot the car helps determine that too.

When I would play I was a back to mid player, getting shot from about midfield resulted in bruises. Getting shot fromm abiut 3 feet away while crawling the snake led to welts. And knowing that anyone who is mature enough to respect the sport of paintbaqll leads me to believe these were teenagers. And knowing teenagers they have probably no balls so shot from a good distance away as theyb would be too scared to come out point blank and shoot the car

But yes good luck with paint stain.....
polarisboy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
FL4TFTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256953
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisboy385

I know that paitnball gradees have a lot to do, a cheaper paintball will be easier to chop inside a marker whyere tournament grade is stiffer, when you p,ay in a tournament they will use something like oh say.... diablo paint that versus woodsball paint will determine severity of impact of and damage of paint to follow. Alsodependant on how close they were when they shot the car helps determine that too.

When I would play I was a back to mid player, getting shot from about midfield resulted in bruises. Getting shot fromm abiut 3 feet away while crawling the snake led to welts. And knowing that anyone who is mature enough to respect the sport of paintbaqll leads me to believe these were teenagers. And knowing teenagers they have probably no balls so shot from a good distance away as theyb would be too scared to come out point blank and shoot the car

But yes good luck with paint stain.....
That's false. Quality paint (marbs, evil, etc) are much more brittle than cheap paint. That's why they're used in tournaments: you want brittle paint so it breaks on your opponent. Cheap paint breaks in your marker or barrel because it isn't as round and consistent as good paint. Cheap paint usually has a much harder shell than good paint.

Back on topic: Paintballs will most definitely damage your paint if being shot from a paintball gun.
FL4TFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #24
Cole S.
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 258208
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default

Dude if someone did that to my subi, they'd prolly die of blunt force trauma from the 1 1/4" combo-wrench i keep beside my seat hahaha
Cole S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
tylerq219
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 68213
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: milf
Vehicle:
92? justy rally car
white/blue/mud #44

Default

yeah cause hitting someone with a wrench because they got washable paint on your car is worth it. ****ing idiot...
tylerq219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Illinois...PAINTBALL PAINTBALL PAINTBALL!!!! Leon04GT MWSOC Private Classifieds 13 02-27-2009 04:53 AM
Any paintballers? - FOX Paintball ~ Tomorrow ~ Saturday 5/10/08 @ Fox Paintball Jeenyus Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 0 05-09-2008 06:10 PM
my WRX is forsale....... sob sob sob jared nelson Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 27 02-21-2005 07:38 PM
sob sob, I need a mechanic in Queens Qbushido Tri-State Area Forum 3 12-03-2002 10:51 PM
A little sob story... Greg I General Forum Archive 8 05-23-2000 11:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.