Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
invisiblecity
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141093
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza Outback
Garnet Red Pearl

Default Proper way to use 303 Aerospace\

I prefer the way 303 protects my black plastic trim but it streaks like a mother!

I mean, I know about engine dressing where you just spray a bunch on the parts and then dab not wipe. I just can't soak my window trim, mirrors or ski rack without coating the rest of the surrounding car.

Is there an easy way to apply 303 streak free on outer trim?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
invisiblecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
AutoAesthetica
Former Vendor

Member#: 246785
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

There are a couple of ways, a finger under a microfiber or a foam brush(the little painter packs). I prefer finger application to really work it in but obviously there are places a finger may not reach..

One way to make this much easier on yourself is to apply your 303 after putting on your coat of wax while your wax is curing/drying. This way even though 303 is water based, if you happen to get some on the paint(the wax on top) you can just buff it off as you remove your wax. It won't hurt a thing and actually saves you a step. Just carry a couple of MF towels and go over your trim to get the excess since you have to buff it down anyway to get it even as you are going around with your other microfiber to remove the wax.
AutoAesthetica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
invisiblecity
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141093
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza Outback
Garnet Red Pearl

Thanks for the response, AA.

So really working it into the plastic will help eliminate the streaking?
invisiblecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
nymtber
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 253247
Vehicle:
2007 Impreza Wagon
Black

I have yet to use 303 on my car (I do have some though, its ESSENTIAL for roto-molded kayaks) but I have used scores of other protectants and never had a streaky application. I would rather put it on heavy and let it set for a few moments than have to really work it in. Something like the blue paper towel "shop towels" or a Kleenex Viva paper towel dampened with 303 would work like the wipes they sell, you could go back through with a MF cloth and remove excess and lint later.
nymtber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....keeping in mind that I prefer to use a trim-friendly wax/sealant on trim bits rather than a dressing-like product, I do still use 303 on some pieces (for the exterior only).

303 tells you in their instructions that the product needs to be applied liberally (getting the surface wet) and then thoroughly buffed with a dry towel (removing all excess). I don’t think they ever intended for it to be applied and then simply left on the surface as you might with some dressings. Having said that I will usually lightly mist my wipe-down towel with 303 so it is a little damp. I find this helps produce a more satin-like, even finish in scenarios where I prefer some sheen. ….I don’t typically buff 303 dry. In other cases when I am just touching up, I will simply use less product on the applicator and apply (without wiping off). ….enough to refresh the finish but not so much that it begins to streak.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
AutoAesthetica
Former Vendor

Member#: 246785
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblecity View Post
Thanks for the response, AA.

So really working it into the plastic will help eliminate the streaking?
That's what I find alot you are using dressings for trim. Realistically working it in and letting it sit and "soak" onto/into the clean trim, and I say this as the material isn't really sponge-like, and then wiping off the residue once its dried helps tremendously. It also depends on the trim. Somethings hold on to protectants better than others.

One thing that will make a difference is making sure your trim is clean before even dressing it. Getting any old dirt or older dressings helps the surface accept whatever it is going to accept.

I too sometimes use things similar to what Kean was describing but again it depends on the vehicle, its condition and what environment and care it will receive after the detail.
AutoAesthetica is offline   Reply With Quote