Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
chompy630
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 166434
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza L 2.5
Red

Default High Voltage?

Ok so I have been having this problem where my battery and ebrake light would come on while I was driving and also sometimes my lights would get bright to where I assume they should be and then dim again.

So anyways I finally plugged my friends radar detector that has a voltage read out into my car to see what it was really doing.

When the light on the dash isn't on it is running at 13.7v
When the lights on the dash are on it jumps to 14.4v
When the lights got bright it jumped super high to above 16v and stayed there for a while.

Alternator and battery were replaced within the past year
I have a 1200w amp and sub other than that there isn't anything wired into the car at the moment

Does anyone have a clue as to what this is?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chompy630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

The voltage regulator is in the alternator so it's probably that, even though it was recently replaced. The alternator should be tested but it's most likely bad.
You may need a new battery again as well, if the voltage has been running that high for a while the battery will be overcharging and venting and eventually that will damage it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
chompy630
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza L 2.5
Red

cool thanks for the quick response I'll get it tested sometime this week.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Get it fixed ASAP, it's not good for the electronics and bulbs to have fluctuating (and excessively high) voltage like that. And as I said it may have already trashed the battery, look for signs of acid overflow. If the battery has indeed puked out some acid you'll need to do a cleanup with a baking soda solution to minimize any damage and avoid future corrosion, and plan on replacing it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
porcupine73
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146199
Vehicle:
2000 OBW
green

Quote:
When the lights got bright it jumped super high to above 16v and stayed there for a while.
I had this happen on my '00 obw. I replaced the alternator and the problem went away.

I went to start it up one morning and the battery was dead. So I recharged the battery (set on 2 amp rate for about 3 days). Then when I started the engine, it wasn't idling right. It was like it was running on 3 cylinders. Then the ABS light came on. I have a voltmeter installed and that's when I noticed it was reading 16.3V. So I shut her down immediately. It took a few days before the reman'd alternator arrived. The battery again went dead during this time. (Something in the old faulty alt was draining the battery too.) I had also seen this same sort of thing happen on a lifted truck for sale because the guy installed this big Wrangler alt to power these huge flood lights, but when it was running at high rpm and low load it put out almost 16 volts. Another time on a 4x4 for sale something similar happened, but it was because the alternator didn't have a good ground, so it was assuming the output voltage was really lower than it was. When a supplemental ground wire was added (2 gauge, right to the battery, then to the frame crossmember), that problem cleared itself right up. So make sure your grounds are good!

After replacement a couple years ago she's been golden.

Last edited by porcupine73; 06-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
porcupine73
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 146199
Vehicle:
2000 OBW
green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
If the battery has indeed puked out some acid you'll need to do a cleanup with a baking soda solution to minimize any damage and avoid future corrosion, and plan on replacing it.
Yes, especially if you have automatic trans. The PO leaked battery acid all over the ATF cooler lines that run right below the battery on my '94, and it ate through the lines last winter.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
chompy630
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza L 2.5
Red

Well i got ambitious and went and got a new one just now it's in and now the car doesn't run like crap which is great they tested the battery for me and it was fine and I see no signs of acid so I'm gonna run with it.

Thanks for the help