Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 27, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Seda
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 230378
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX TR
Black

Thumbs up 1 Solution to Brake Lights Not Working

So the other day I was driving home from work when a stranger informed me that none of my brake lights were working. When I got home I immediately checked the brake light fuse (fuse #16 for my car), and it was fine. Checked a few other fuses which were also good. I didn't think the bulbs were out since both sides and my spoiler brake lights weren't working. Checked filament on the two taillight-brakelights anyways and they looked good.

I narrowed it down to being a problem with the brake switch connected directly to the brake pedal. I dug around and found a post saying you can bypass the switch by disconnecting it from the pedal and connecting terminals 1 and 2 on the switch. I took a wire and connected the blue/yellow wire slot to the white/black slot. All three brake lights came on, narrowing my problem down to the switch. I was going to try to clean up the switch and see if that was the problem. Before I even got that far I was able to figure out the problem.

The switch is connected by 2 nuts that lock against a plate between each other. I busted out a wrench to loosen them and realized they were so loose already I could turn them by hand. These nuts control the position and adjustment of the switch, so they must have just loosened up over time and came out of adjustment. I simply adjusted the position of the switch and made sure the nuts were tight and the brake lights seem to work fine now. Problem wasn't too daunting, but I figured I'd share my experience in case anyone else runs into this brake light problem.
Seda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
ckc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3696
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan WRB
'05 LGT wagon

I had a similar issue but it turned out to the switch going bad. In case anyone needs it, the part number for the stoplamp switch is 83370AA001 which should run you less than $50.

Thanks for the info on which wires in the harness to connect to test the lights. I bridged a wire between the blue/yellow and white/black after checking to see if 12v was getting to the blue/yellow, and low and behold, all the brake lights came on.
ckc is offline   Reply With Quote