Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
SubbyOBS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 124035
Vehicle:
99 LOB and RS

Default Car choking under heavy rain?

My subaru 2.5L NA, 1999 RS was driven today under the heavy rain. The road is not ponding water, but it surely had around 1-2 inches of water.

When idling at the light, I noticed that the RPM was dropping suddenly to nearly "0" and then back up. The battery and the charging system is working because the car was service and checked two weeks ago.

Then when I accelerated the car, the RPM started to "choke", then when it runs to around 1 or 1500, it goes back to smooth. I haven't experienced this thing before...

So after I head back to the garge, opened the hood and check for wiring, everything seem to be connected, but some water did got on the air-intake (OEM), and the intake pipe due to the scoop that was designed for that year.

I am wondering could that be the water touched the ignition coil (the black box) and cause this?

Or if not, what cause such unstable choking under the rain. On a regular day, the car is fine and smooth.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SubbyOBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
motohippy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225882
Vehicle:
2000 OBS
'88 BMW K75S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbyOBS View Post
I am wondering could that be the water touched the ignition coil (the black box) and cause this?
Yes. If your ignition wires are on the old side, getting wet could definitely have them shorting out. Get a spray bottle of water and mist over the coil, if you sputter you've found your answer.
motohippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
rob17san
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259519

Do you have your inner fender wells intact?
rob17san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
SubbyOBS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 124035
Vehicle:
99 LOB and RS

My 1999 had the cover comes with it already. I guessed when I purchased the car, the dealer put that cover on.
SubbyOBS is offline   Reply With Quote