Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
STi-JDM
Top Scoob 023
 
Member#: 90373
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
05' STi. 89' GT-R
00' GT-R ; LCM x WFC

Default Need suggestion on where to go around Oregon Coast

I'm thinking about heading down to Oregon coast next week and I never been there before. The plan is to go around Seaside - Cannon Beach area. Any other suggestion on where to go and what to do around there? or is there better area than the two I mentioned?

Thanks!
Will
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
STi-JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
black_knight06
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 146718
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
'06 OBP STi
'07 CGM Forester XT Ltd.

Default

Well, to be honest, the entire Oregon coast is pretty nice but it's a bit dicey due to the weather this time of year. I spent about a week down in Seaside and had a good time, lots to do and go see there plus ther eis a decent amount of stuff that you can easily drive to from there if you wanted to stay in Seaside and use it as a sort of "base camp".
black_knight06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
just smurfy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 135893
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: right here
Vehicle:
2012
Free MKS you big meanies!

Default

I've got some foul-weather ideas for you

First, I'd stay away from the aquarium in Seaside. Not worth the price of admission IMO.

There's a maritime museum in Astoria, http://crmm.org/ along with the Astoria Column which gives a birds-eye view of the waterfront. Not sure if that column is still open or not. http://astoriacolumn.org/

Tillamook has a large air museum where blimps used to be housed during WW2. http://www.tillamookair.com/ Tillamook Cheese Factory is also near there if you need a pit stop for ice cream.

Further south in Newport (quite a bit further south), there's the Oregon Coast Aquarium which is definately fun. Well worth the price of admission. http://www.aquarium.org/ Also in Newport is Rogue Brewery - about the best brew house I've been in with LOTS of different beers to choose from and a nice view of the harbor. http://www.rogue.com/

At the very least, you should pick a route that involves going through McMinnville (SW of Portland/Northwest of Salem) if you have any interest in aviation. The Spruce Goose, along with lots of other awesome aircraft (and IMAX) are located at the Evergreen Air Museum. http://sprucegoose.org/ McMinnville is also near the heart of Oregon's wine country if wine tasting is of any interest, and there's apparently wine tasting at the McMinnie's air museum.

I hope this helps.

- Smurfy

Last edited by just smurfy; 10-30-2010 at 02:24 AM.
just smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
STi-JDM
Top Scoob 023
 
Member#: 90373
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
05' STi. 89' GT-R
00' GT-R ; LCM x WFC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_knight06 View Post
Well, to be honest, the entire Oregon coast is pretty nice but it's a bit dicey due to the weather this time of year. I spent about a week down in Seaside and had a good time, lots to do and go see there plus ther eis a decent amount of stuff that you can easily drive to from there if you wanted to stay in Seaside and use it as a sort of "base camp".
Quote:
Originally Posted by just smurfy View Post
I've got some foul-weather ideas for you

First, I'd stay away from the aquarium in Seaside. Not worth the price of admission IMO.

There's a maritime museum in Astoria, http://crmm.org/ along with the Astoria Column which gives a birds-eye view of the waterfront. Not sure if that column is still open or not. http://astoriacolumn.org/

Tillamook has a large air museum where blimps used to be housed during WW2. http://www.tillamookair.com/ Tillamook Cheese Factory is also near there if you need a pit stop for ice cream.

Further south in Newport (quite a bit further south), there's the Oregon Coast Aquarium which is definately fun. Well worth the price of admission. http://www.aquarium.org/ Also in Newport is Rogue Brewery - about the best brew house I've been in with LOTS of different beers to choose from and a nice view of the harbor. http://www.rogue.com/

At the very least, you should pick a route that involves going through McMinnville (SW of Portland/Northwest of Salem) if you have any interest in aviation. The Spruce Goose, along with lots of other awesome aircraft (and IMAX) are located at the Evergreen Air Museum. http://sprucegoose.org/ McMinnville is also near the heart of Oregon's wine country if wine tasting is of any interest, and there's apparently wine tasting at the McMinnie's air museum.

I hope this helps.

- Smurfy
Thanks for the suggestions guys I might have to consider swinging by Newport also then, it's only about ~2 hours away from Cannon beach.
STi-JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
JasonLHall
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 111318
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

We go to Rockaway Beach every year. Might be a hair bit windy this time of year though. Don't for get to swing by Astoria and visit the Goonies house.
JasonLHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
subieracer07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 155084
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: puyallup
Vehicle:
91 leggy wagon
silver

Default

+1 for newport, I used to live out there for a year. very scenic and if you feel like driving head down to florance its a cool little town and the roads are twistie
subieracer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
MrMorninwood
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112148
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Stroking the Furry Walls
Vehicle:
I feel like I'm
in "2 Fast 2 furious."

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLHall View Post
We go to Rockaway Beach every year. Might be a hair bit windy this time of year though. Don't for get to swing by Astoria and visit the Goonies house.
http://www.cinema-astoria.com/cinema...ies/index.html
MrMorninwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
JasonLHall
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 111318
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMorninwood View Post
JasonLHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
MrMorninwood
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112148
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Stroking the Furry Walls
Vehicle:
I feel like I'm
in "2 Fast 2 furious."

Default

you couldn't give us one of these then?
MrMorninwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
trevoro
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 120812
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Sheridan, Oregon
Vehicle:
08 STi
White

Default

Pacific City is my favorite beach near south of Seaside. It is the one witness the big haystack rock.
trevoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
TrueSilver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 152207
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Vehicle:
2013 Duramax LML
2000 Civic Si EBP

Default

Long beach is always fun too, there is some decent go karts there too.
TrueSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
SurfPine
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39401
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: 7732' ->
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi-JDM View Post
I'm thinking about heading down to Oregon coast next week and I never been there before. The plan is to go around Seaside - Cannon Beach area. Any other suggestion on where to go and what to do around there? or is there better area than the two I mentioned?

Thanks!
Will
What kind of interests do you have?

Most of the things to do here revolve around the ocean/river environments. Since the weather has changed, those activities can be hit or miss.

Fishing, clamming, kite boarding, surfing, tide pools, hiking, strolling along the beach (be certain you know the tides, predicted weather/swells), photography, the Prom in Seaside, lots of art galleries in Cannon Beach, Seaside, Astoria
SurfPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
STi-JDM
Top Scoob 023
 
Member#: 90373
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
05' STi. 89' GT-R
00' GT-R ; LCM x WFC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfPine View Post
What kind of interests do you have?

Most of the things to do here revolve around the ocean/river environments. Since the weather has changed, those activities can be hit or miss.

Fishing, clamming, kite boarding, surfing, tide pools, hiking, strolling along the beach (be certain you know the tides, predicted weather/swells), photography, the Prom in Seaside, lots of art galleries in Cannon Beach, Seaside, Astoria
I'm thinking maybe to visit the aquarium in Newport, and after that, it's just about taking pics, walk around, and enjoy the day doing nothing, not really looking for hiking etc. especially in these kind of weather, and I'm scared of height to begin with lol...
STi-JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
SurfPine
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39401
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: 7732' ->
Default

If staying in Cannon Beach, hit up the infamous Haystack Rock for pictures, very hard to miss. Also, take a quick trip north to Indian Beach (north end of Cannon Beach where the last scene in Point Break was filmed depicting Bells Beach, Australia).

A nice, short walk down through old growth forest to Short Sands beach (aka Smuggler's Cove in Oswald West State Park) is very scenic. Further drive just south on 101 of Short Sands, some great places for pics that overlook Manzanita and south areas. Just hope for some clear skies and no rain.

Plan on 2 1/2 drive to Newport from the Seaside area as you go through many small towns where the speed limits drop down to 25-35. I would advise of not exceeding speed limits in these small towns as there are always police out monitoring.
SurfPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
mattGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 97495
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bend, OR
Vehicle:
2013 Outback 3.6R
GGM

Default

Bill's Tavern in Cannon Beach has good beer and a sweet happy hour deal for oyster shooters.

You could tour the Tillamook cheese factory, tour is free but don't buy a block of cheese there because it's cheaper at the grocery store down the street. We also usually stop at the Blue Heron cheese factory to taste some wine and awesome brie.

Man I love the beach.
mattGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
markesc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164875
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Tualatin
Vehicle:
2007 WRXTR blouch20G
SWP

Default

I highly recommend doing the three capes scenic loop drive. You can start in Tillamook and head up to Cape Mears, then Oceanside, Cape Lookout, and finally Cape Kiwanda (Pacific City).

At Pacific City you'll be rewarded with GREAT beer at the Pelican Brewery, along with a good view of the ocean!

Don't forget to head out and explore on the cape at Sunset!!



markesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
etothen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 221885
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Vehicle:
09 Ivory Tower
Ivory...duh

Default

Oswald west state park, just south of Cannon beach, one of earths most beautiful places, even more amazing when it rains if a bet less comfortable.
etothen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #18
STi-JDM
Top Scoob 023
 
Member#: 90373
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
05' STi. 89' GT-R
00' GT-R ; LCM x WFC

Default

Thanks for all the suggestions I'm glad I asked the question rather than doing 5-hour research lol... I'm bringing a friend and she's not 21 yet, so probably not going to hit any taverns or bar
STi-JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #19
just smurfy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 135893
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: right here
Vehicle:
2012
Free MKS you big meanies!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi-JDM View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions I'm glad I asked the question rather than doing 5-hour research lol... I'm bringing a friend and she's not 21 yet, so probably not going to hit any taverns or bar
Under 21 allowed at Rogue, and I think lots of other brew pubs, FYI.
just smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #20
inashesilie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 247427
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Gig Harbor
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
OBP

Default

Cannon Beach is my favorite, but the trip down the coast to Lincoln City is a fun drive, and its a nice town, good higher end restaurants. I've heard there's some surfing down there too, but I never had the time to check it out and have no idea what conditions would be like right now.

Bills Tavern in Cannon Beach is one of my favorites, and they have some mighty tasty brews.

Last edited by inashesilie; 11-01-2010 at 02:46 AM.
inashesilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #21
MrMorninwood
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112148
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Stroking the Furry Walls
Vehicle:
I feel like I'm
in "2 Fast 2 furious."

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just smurfy View Post
Under 21 allowed at Rogue, and I think lots of other brew pubs, FYI.
True. My family and I hit the wet dog. It's a pretty decent brew pub, but service is ****ing slow.
MrMorninwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have suggestions on where to go for boost gauge install accessories? duvinclunk Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 6 03-12-2009 10:13 PM
I need advice on where to go for clutch replacement NimrodBoz Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 15 02-24-2008 06:30 PM
Where to go around here to ship perishable food to Arizona?! Anyone done it? vipernj Tri-State Area Forum 6 11-27-2006 12:49 PM
Houston folks- I need suggestions on where to live artkevin Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 27 04-06-2005 03:55 PM
Looking to do a custom trunk install. Need suggestions on where to go? my02wrx Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 25 12-05-2003 12:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.