Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
ernst82
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 253801
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Forester
Red

Default Oil Pressure

Hey guys where is the oil pressure sending unit located on a 2010 2.5i. If you have a picture that would help.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ernst82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

It should be right behind the alternator with a single wire going to it.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
ernst82
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 253801
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Forester
Red

Cool thanks, also do you know any venders that sell a tee pipe for that fitting, or any other locations i can hook up a aftermarket oil pressure sensor?
ernst82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

You can get everything you need from McMaster-Carr.

The plug currently installed is a 1/8" BSP thread. Most of the sensors you're going to be able to buy in the US will have a 1/8" NPT thread. So you'll need to buy 1/8" BSP Male to 1/8" BSP Male nipple, a 1/8" BSP tee, and a 1/8" BSP make to 1/8" NPT Female adapter.

Screw the nipple into the fitting in the block, screw the tee onto the nipple, screw the stock pressure sender into one branch of the tee, screw the BSP to NSP adapter into the other branch of the tee, and then screw your aftermarket sending unit into the NPT side of the adapter.

Last edited by williaty; 09-30-2010 at 04:20 PM.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

The other option (which I prefer, since it is OEM and results in fewer joints that could potentially leak) is to buy the Subaru part that goes into the oil gallery on the top of the block. Of course, that assumes you're getting a 1/8" BSP sending unit, since the OEM plug is tapped for 1/8" BSP. The PN for the plug is 11024AA210, PN for the metal gasket that goes with it is 037018200.

There's a thread on ScoobyMods that shows where the oil gallery plug goes.

Oh, and williaty, it's NPT, not NSP. He'd have a helluva time trying to find a 1/8" NSP adapter.

Pat Olsen

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 09-30-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
The other option (which I prefer, since it is OEM and results in fewer joints that could potentially leak) is to buy the Subaru part that goes into the oil gallery on the top of the block. Of course, that assumes you're getting a 1/8" BSP sending unit, since the OEM plug is tapped for 1/8" BSP. The PN for the plug is 11024AA210, PN for the metal gasket that goes with it is 037018200.
If your sender is NPT, that still leads to needing all the fittings to make it work. If you get a BSP sender, yeah, just screw the bitch right in.

Quote:
Oh, and williaty, it's NPT, not NSP. He'd have a helluva time trying to find a 1/8" NSP adapter.

Pat Olsen
Dude, it was like 4am. You wouldn't believe how hard I had to concentrate to come even that close
Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Hold up a second guys... those ports (like EVERYTHING else on the cars) is metric. They are not BSP. BSP just happens to be close enough to work and not leak
Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Subaru of America has said they're BSP. BSP is also the "standard" pipe threading in Japanese industry.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Hold up a second guys... those ports (like EVERYTHING else on the cars) is metric. They are not BSP. BSP just happens to be close enough to work and not leak
Nice try, but no. BSPT (or BSP, or PT) is identical to JIS B0203. In other words, the Japanese spec "metric" pipe thread matches the British pipe thread. To quote the Geico caveman, "Maybe next time you should do a little research?"

And my spark plugs aren't metric - I use a standard 5/8" spark plug socket to install/remove them.

Pat Olsen
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
Subaru of America has said they're BSP. BSP is also the "standard" pipe threading in Japanese industry.
Where did they say that? Last time I checked with thread gauges it was metric. I can check again tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Nice try, but no. BSPT (or BSP, or PT) is identical to JIS B0203. In other words, the Japanese spec "metric" pipe thread matches the British pipe thread. To quote the Geico caveman, "Maybe next time you should do a little research?"

And my spark plugs aren't metric - I use a standard 5/8" spark plug socket to install/remove them.

Pat Olsen
Your correct, but I said the port. And yes I did my research a long time ago... and I just pulled the OEM port out of the block in case what I was remembering was incorrect. They are straight fine metric threads, NOT BSP. They are NOT tapered, the BSP is just close enough to seal. I think the OEM sensor is BSP, which verifies what I said initially, the BSP is close enough to seal just fine.

Good call on the plugs, but the plug threads are?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Stupid slow NASIOC is SLOW today. WTF is the problem, Nick?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Funnily enough, the hex flats might be SAE, but the threads are metric (ISO). You have no fracking idea how much that drives me nuts.

Quote:
Where did they say that? Last time I checked with thread gauges it was metric. I can check again tomorrow.
The reason they're working out the same is that they BSP is what was adopted as the JIS standard.

Subaru has confirmed this when they were asked about it in email directly.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #14
rob17san
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259519

agreed. Everything is metric on subaru's
rob17san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
Your [sic] correct, but I said the port. And yes I did my research a long time ago... and I just pulled the OEM port out of the block in case what I was remembering was incorrect. They are straight fine metric threads, NOT BSP. They are NOT tapered, the BSP is just close enough to seal. I think the OEM sensor is BSP, which verifies what I said initially, the BSP is close enough to seal just fine.
Hmmm, I have a gallery plug sitting on my kitchen counter (bachelor, I can do such things ), I'll have to take a look. They could be BSPP, which is similar to BSP (BSPT), but has parallel rather than tapered threads.

Quote:
Good call on the plugs, but the plug threads are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
Funnily enough, the hex flats might be SAE, but the threads are metric (ISO).
Oh, I know, I was just being a smartass. Oh, and the lugnuts are 3/4" (19mm) and lots of bolts are 9/16" (14mm) - if you can't find the right sockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob17san View Post
Everything is metric on subaru's
On Subaru's ...?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
Your correct, but I said the port. And yes I did my research a long time ago... and I just pulled the OEM port out of the block in case what I was remembering was incorrect. They are straight fine metric threads, NOT BSP.
My curiosity was definitely piqued by this, so I checked the gallery plug I've got sitting here. An 8mm thread chaser goes right through without engaging the threads, so the port ain't that. Neither a 10mm-1.25 nor a 10mm-1.0 chaser will thread into the port. Visually the thread pitch looks even finer than the 10mm-1.0, which would make sense for a 1/8" BSP thread (28TPI, or just a bit finer than 1.0 metric pitch). I concur that the port's threads are not tapered, but I'm more convinced now that the port is 1/8" BSPP.

Note that per this site a male BSPT (also called BSP) fitting will thread into a female BSPP fitting. The thread pitch is the same - 1/8"-28.

Pat
Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #17
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

I believe it's .75 pitch, but it's late and I'm half guessing, but I do remember thinking it was a pretty odd size.

If I remember while I'm in front of the thread gauges tomorrow I'll verify what it is.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

OK, now I'm sure this is going to cause all kinds of controversy... LOL

So according to the gauges it's an M10 x 0.9... I even found taps that size, and HERE IS AN OIL PRESSURE SENDER made by someone else (so you don't think I've gone completely nuts) that calls out the wacko thread size/pitch.

It's also a REALLY good reason why the BSP thread works (.876 pitch), as long as the mating threads aren't very long, the pitches are close enough so the threads won't bind.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

As I have said before, Subaru of America was emailed with the specific question of what thread pitch those ports are. They replied that they are 1/8 BSP because the BSP family of threads is what was adopted as the JIS standard.

JIS catches a lot of people out. For instance, none of the bolts on the car are "metric". They're all JIS.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

^ While I want to believe you, something's just not adding up here for me, and I wouldn't rely on what SOA says as they don't always have the right answers.

I have a REALLY tough time understanding why a non-metric british thread standard would be accepted by JIS; Japanese Industrial Standard. From everything I've seen/read (I've definitly not seen EVERYTHING) the JIS consists of ONLY metric thread sizes and pitches. If you have some kind of link that explains the BSP to JIS, I'd love to read it (like I'm not enough of a geek already).

The bolts on the car are metric, JIS just means they meet the requirements of that standard (thead size, pitch, head height, etc...).
Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Lemme see if I can find the whitepaper for JIS again. I found it a year or two ago when it was driving me nuts I couldn't find a M10x1.25 bolt with a 14mm head on it I'd never heard of JIS before then.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Quote:
^ While I want to believe you, something's just not adding up here for me, and I wouldn't rely on what SOA says as they don't always have the right answers.
I would tend to agree with you here.

Quote:
I have a REALLY tough time understanding why a non-metric british thread standard would be accepted by JIS; Japanese Industrial Standard. From everything I've seen/read (I've definitly not seen EVERYTHING) the JIS consists of ONLY metric thread sizes and pitches.
As I've said earlier in this thread, JIS B0203 is the standard that adopts BSP(T) standards. I'm not sure why, either, nor do I know where one would find the actual reference document (and even if I found it, it may be in Japanese, which I can't read.)

Pat
Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #23
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Swageloc publishes a couple of "Identifying threads" documents. They state that JIS Parallel=BSP(P) and that JIS Tapered=BSP(T).

Here's a quote from another fittings vendor:
Quote:
Japanese Tapered Pipe Thread

The Japanese tapered pipe thread connector is identical to and fully interchangeable with the BSPT (tapered) connector. The Japanese connector does not have a 30 Flare, and will not mate with the BSPP female.

The threads conform to JIS B 0203, which are the same as BSPT threads.

The seal on the Japanese tapered pipe thread connector is made on the threads.
From a different pipe vendor:
Quote:
Japanese Standards
PF - JIS Parallel Pipe Threads

PF threads are functionally interchangeable with BSPP. This is an old designations replaced with G.

Applicable Standards

* JIS B 202 PARALLEL PIPE THREADS
* ISO 228/1 PIPE THREADS PT 1: DESIGNATION, DIMENSIONS, TOLERANCE

PT - JIS Taper Pipe Threads

PT threads are functionally interchangeable with BSPT threads. This is an old designations replaced with and R and Rc.

Applicable Standards

* JIS B 0203 TAPER PIPE THREADS
* ISO 7/1 PIPE THREADS: DESIGNATION, DIMENSIONS/TOLERANCES
Here's a PDF listing every single god damned thread in the Japanese Industrial Standard with all the horrific math to design and build them. Below the JIS spec for taper, it mentions they're the same as BSP.

I think that's game, set, and match to BSP.