Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 24, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-26-2002, 04:16 PM   #1
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1919
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Default boost and open loop

Hey all!

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I have a '94 Legacy Turbo.

My Legacy is experiencing an odd problem. Sometimes at part throttle acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear, the ecu doesn't seem to want to switch in to open loop mode if I start making boost. My A/F ratio meter keeps bouncing back and forth, and I can feel the engine hesitating. Eventually it will switch to open loop (A/F lights go green), and the car takes off. The strange thing is, I've never noticed this hapening in 4th or 5th.

There are three things controlling the switch over to open loop that I know of...
1. Throttle position (full throttle)
2. Engine RPM ( > than 4000rpm)
3. Pressure sensor ( > than atmospheric)

I suspect the problem lies with the pressure sensor or pressure exchange solenoid, since the engine will always switch over to open loop at full throttle and rpm's > than 4000. But I can't explain why it doesn't happen in 4th or 5th. The only reason I can think of is that revs build very slowly in these gears.

Any thoughts? Has anyone noticed something similar?

Nigel
'94 Legacy Turbo
'73 Datsun 240Z Turbo
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

A quick lazy response would be, grab a precise set of feelers and make sure the tps is adjusted correctly. Then use an ohm meter and make sure the transition from closed to open is completly smooth on resistance withough any hickups.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
05 OB XT LTD
Silver/Gray

Is it still using the stock pressure sensor and boost solenoid? The stock solenoids are flaky and seem to get pretty unreliable after 8-10 years.

The TPS could be causing it, but you'd probably see it in other gears.

If your A/F is varying, it's possible that you could have a vacuum leak that's introducing a lean condition under load in the first gears, but not so much in the higher gears. I had a leak that would cause nasty hesitation in 2nd gear.

Dave
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:46 AM   #4
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1919
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Thanks for the replies so far...

I don't think the problem is with the TPS. If I floor it, the engine switches over to open loop no problem. The issue is with part throttle acceleration.

When the engine is in closed loop mode, the air/fuel ratio bounces back and forth between lean and just shy of rich. This is due to the nature of 02 sensors and the ECU trying to hit the ideal air/fuel ratio. I've attached an animated gif of what this looks like on the meter.

The problem is that sometimes it stays in this mode even when I might be making say, 5lbs of boost. I can feel it, and I can see it on the meter. What should happen is that above atmospheric, the ECU should switch over to open loop and I should see 1 or 2 of the green LED's on the meter light up and hold there, indicating a rich mixture. If I accelerate gently in 5th gear (easiest gear to do it in), I can observe the switchover as soon as the boost gauge hits about 1lb of boost.

So, I'm thinking it's either the pressure sensor, or the exchage solenoid (provides the sensor with a manifold or atmospheric sample). But I don't waste money buying both if it's only one.

Nigel
Attached Images
File Type: gif af_swish.gif (10.6 KB, 47 views)
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote