Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #26
mecpgh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193014
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Vehicle:
02 WRX WRB, 05 STI
FPGreen E85 400+whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert517 View Post
Is anyone selling or know someone selling an 02/03 wrx? If so PM me, a buddy of mine is looking for one.



Pm'ed you.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mecpgh is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 AM   #27
glhs377
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125388
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: iron city
Vehicle:
97 240hp NA GF6
giant Carbotron wing

Default

anyone know what a 2005 2.5i fuel pressure should be stock? thanks!
glhs377 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #28
stealthx32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30990
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'93 FD3S

Default

stealthx32 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #29
garagedefeat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101399
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2001 Forester L

Default

Speaking of the 2.5I manifold, I have one for sale if anybody is interested. It's the type that accepts tgv's.

Need to do a custom intake, but I prefer to have someone smarter than I am to consult me on it (notice I didn't say 'help me build it out of composite'). Hmmm anybody know who could help?
garagedefeat is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #30
glhs377
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125388
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: iron city
Vehicle:
97 240hp NA GF6
giant Carbotron wing

Default

dale whats your timeframe and budget? maybe i will make one.i've been itching to do something cool and my dad hasn't sent me a norton cylinder head yet...

anybody else turn on their boiler/furnace last nite? seems early to me.
glhs377 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #31
sk84fun21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113300
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB, LOUD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs377 View Post
dale whats your timeframe and budget? maybe i will make one.i've been itching to do something cool and my dad hasn't sent me a norton cylinder head yet...

anybody else turn on their boiler/furnace last nite? seems early to me.
my apartments was on yesterday morning when i woke up
sk84fun21 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
Blinden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122993
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB 5-door

Default

What are people's opinions on a ej207 v7 (or v8) swap? I've been thinking ever since I picked up this bugeye that I would eventually either go full 2.5 or a hybrid, I've seen vendors on here selling full engine/trans swaps for about $8000 shipped. This isn't money I'm prepared to spend right now, or for the rest of this year for that matter, but I would like to do some thinking about what I actually want to do.

I definitely want to get back into a 6speed soon, and the fact that these packages have the JDM 6speeds with the shorter gears is somewhat appealing to me.

Originally I was gonig to go with the 2.5 and pick turbo/mods to go along with that, but if I decided to "build" around a 2.0l, I could start buying parts now and putting them on my car as it sits until something blows up. I've been putting a lot more thought into staying at 2.0l recently, and that would change a lot of my thinking on what I plan on doign with the car in the near and further future.
Blinden is online now  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #33
SilverWagonRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76159
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2006 Acura TL 6spd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinden View Post
What are people's opinions on a ej207 v7 (or v8) swap? I've been thinking ever since I picked up this bugeye that I would eventually either go full 2.5 or a hybrid, I've seen vendors on here selling full engine/trans swaps for about $8000 shipped. This isn't money I'm prepared to spend right now, or for the rest of this year for that matter, but I would like to do some thinking about what I actually want to do.

I definitely want to get back into a 6speed soon, and the fact that these packages have the JDM 6speeds with the shorter gears is somewhat appealing to me.

Originally I was gonig to go with the 2.5 and pick turbo/mods to go along with that, but if I decided to "build" around a 2.0l, I could start buying parts now and putting them on my car as it sits until something blows up. I've been putting a lot more thought into staying at 2.0l recently, and that would change a lot of my thinking on what I plan on doign with the car in the near and further future.
I am interested in this same exact thing. Planning on starting to play with my 02 more and presume that the motor isn't going to last forever. Hybrid vs JDM 2.0 or built 2.0 is confusing.
SilverWagonRX is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #34
Blinden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122993
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWagonRX View Post
I am interested in this same exact thing. Planning on starting to play with my 02 more and presume that the motor isn't going to last forever. Hybrid vs JDM 2.0 or built 2.0 is confusing.
Glad to hear I'm not in it alone then!

I've read a good bit, but it's hard, as oft pointed out here, to seperate the good information from the nonsense, I would be really interested in hearing opinions of people I've actually talked to before about different things.
Blinden is online now  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #35
SilverWagonRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 76159
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2006 Acura TL 6spd

Default

I am really hoping to not need another transmission though. Don't feel like having so much money tied up in the car. Unless I can get a whole totalled sti for that $8k you mentioned.
SilverWagonRX is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #36
Blinden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122993
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWagonRX View Post
I am really hoping to not need another transmission though. Don't feel like having so much money tied up in the car. Unless I can get a whole totalled sti for that $8k you mentioned.
I have no desire to maintain the stock 5speed, I'm 100% figuring to replace the transmission, so, I figure I may as well do it first/at the same time because any upgrades I make in power will most likely shorten the life of the 130k mile 5speed to too low to make it worth keeping.

I could deal witht he JDM 6 speed
or the USDM 06-07 6speed
or I guess consider a PPG setup, I just don't want to get my car 'done' and then have the transmission blow up on me.
Blinden is online now  
Old 10-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #37
Cereb Daithi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 112349
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Default

I've got a PPG for sale
Cereb Daithi is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #38
Blinden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122993
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereb Daithi View Post
I've got a PPG for sale
I know you do! Unfortunately my big spending days won't be around for several months...

I'm just trying to figure out if I decide I'm goign to go with a 2.0, then I'll probably start looking into doing some minor upgrades now, (injectors, fuel pump, uppipe, possibly even start looking at turbo, intercooler, and other such options) and see how long it takes me to blow something up.
Blinden is online now  
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #39
garagedefeat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101399
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2001 Forester L

Default

^^^ I like the ej207 idea personally. One concern is that it's still a used motor, and therefore should be thoroughly inspected before torturing it. By the time you add up getting it to the u.s., plus a full inspection (i'd tear it down, not just leak it down), you may be into some serious money--just an f.y.i. Solid motors though. The v.8's are hitting 8500 from the factory after fuel cut occurs. Double x-drilled crank, good oil pump, forged this, forged that, big port heads, etc. etc. etc.

I don't like the ppg idea, unless you have to have the ratios they require, or are trying to keep drivetrain weight to a minimum (racing application). PPG's are a bit too pricey, imo, for what you get. Plus, don't rule out breaking a non-ppg 5th gear, and in the process taking out your 1-4 set. Furthermore, tack on at least another $1k onto most ppg boxes that you see, because doing a$5k trans w/o a non-open front diff is silly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs377 View Post
dale whats your timeframe and budget? maybe i will make one.i've been itching to do something cool and my dad hasn't sent me a norton cylinder head yet...

anybody else turn on their boiler/furnace last nite? seems early to me.
Time frame is by the beginning of the next season (having a part to bolt in in the beginning of march would be nice).

Budget is in the range of what an aftermarket solution would cost + $300-500 for its one-off nature.

I'm a bit nervous about using composites for this, since it's going to need to handle a sizable amount of boost. Plus, the way I want to do the plenums (it needs to have 2), i'm not sure how easily they could be done with cf. if there's a reliable way of testing the integrity of the cf before it's installed, I'd be down (prob. as simple as sealing the manifold on a bench and pumping compressed air into it).

What I could def. see using, however, are smooth, tapering cf runners/bell mouths, and reliably bonding them to aluminum plenums pieces.

I'll draw some stuff up for you if you'll be at the meet on Wednesday.

Last edited by garagedefeat; 10-04-2010 at 04:19 PM.
garagedefeat is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #40
glhs377
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125388
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: iron city
Vehicle:
97 240hp NA GF6
giant Carbotron wing

Default

proper diffs are WAY more important the 5 spd/6 spd or any ratio garbage. there's a local jdm 6spd full swap for 2800. i passed. open diffs and 4kg/krpm cdiff, suck that. USDM DCCD or bust for me. so it'll probably be bust. and just an R180.

if you want, sell your bugeye and buy my sti. wrx insurance and it's all done already. no work and 7k bugeye to a 14k sti is well worth it. you just paid too much for your sti for it to make sense for you.

dale i'll be there on wed. i'll bring a pad of paper and a pen.

Last edited by glhs377; 10-04-2010 at 05:28 PM.
glhs377 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #41
Blinden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122993
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagedefeat View Post
^^^ I like the ej207 idea personally. One concern is that it's still a used motor, and therefore should be thoroughly inspected before torturing it. By the time you add up getting it to the u.s., plus a full inspection (i'd tear it down, not just leak it down), you may be into some serious money--just an f.y.i. Solid motors though. The v.8's are hitting 8500 from the factory after fuel cut occurs. Double x-drilled crank, good oil pump, forged this, forged that, big port heads, etc. etc. etc.

I don't like the ppg idea, unless you have to have the ratios they require, or are trying to keep drivetrain weight to a minimum (racing application). PPG's are a bit too pricey, imo, for what you get. Plus, don't rule out breaking a non-ppg 5th gear, and in the process taking out your 1-4 set. Furthermore, tack on at least another $1k onto most ppg boxes that you see, because doing a$5k trans w/o a non-open front diff is silly.
Thanks for the input, the transmission thing is #1 priority for me, hopefully get that going around March. Just paid for a 2 week Caribbean vacation so the wallet is a little thin on spending money for a bit.

This is what I was looking at earlier:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ighlight=ej207

$7k for v7, $8k for v8 looks like it includes everything needed, not sure if they would do it cheaper if they left off some parts or not, probably not too much, but, price wise that's something that's fairly easy to digest.
Blinden is online now  
Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #42
isis
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73283
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
05 CTS-V
03 Z1000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs377
proper diffs are WAY more important the 5 spd/6 spd or any ratio garbage. there's a local jdm 6spd full swap for 2800. i passed. open diffs and 4kg/krpm cdiff, suck that. USDM DCCD or bust for me. so it'll probably be bust. and just an R180.
.
You really need to spend some time in a 2.0L powered car with the usdm 5-spd so you stop dismissing gear ratios as 'garbage'
isis is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #43
sk84fun21
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 113300
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh area
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB, LOUD

Default

sk84fun21 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #44
Blinden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122993
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs377 View Post

if you want, sell your bugeye and buy my sti. wrx insurance and it's all done already. no work and 7k bugeye to a 14k sti is well worth it. you just paid too much for your sti for it to make sense for you.
It would be worth it, but, the problem is I currently don't have the money to make up the difference, and I'm not going to go through the process of taking out a loan for a 6 year old car right now. Getting Kathy a new car in a month or so, and don't want 2 car loans right now. I agree, ideally, starting with an STi is the way to go, just not in the finances right now (how many miles are on your vehicle?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis View Post
You really need to spend some time in a 2.0L powered car with the usdm 5-spd so you stop dismissing gear ratios as 'garbage'
Not just this, but also the reliability scares the hell out of me. I simply don't want to do a lot of work in my car just to have the tranny go bust a month later. Sure, you could drive it easily and be soft on the car, but, that defeats the purpose of adding power.
Blinden is online now  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #45
glhs377
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125388
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: iron city
Vehicle:
97 240hp NA GF6
giant Carbotron wing

Default

actually i have never driven a 5spd 2.0 wrx. i'm assuming i have way more bottom end with my 2.5na 5 spd. but from 3-6k it should be the same, and i've run the accel curves for 5 spds and 6 spds. it's all pretty similar.

just under 40k on my sti. still not sure i really want to sell it. but i think it's tiem for something different.

Last edited by glhs377; 10-04-2010 at 10:39 PM.
glhs377 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #46
stealthx32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30990
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
'93 FD3S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs377 View Post
still not sure i really want to sell it.
I see a theme.
stealthx32 is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #47
dmross
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2818
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthx32 View Post
I see a theme.
http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/index.jsp
dmross is offline  
Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #48
glhs377
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125388
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: iron city
Vehicle:
97 240hp NA GF6
giant Carbotron wing

Default

you guys need some perspective. out there thinking you need 400 whp, where an sti of any generation is one of the fastest cars point to point in any situation on the planet. top 1%. how much faster you need to go? upgrade your tires and your balls.

and danny, my boy, you love to rib me on that, but you have more units than i have cars, spend more time on them, more rooms in your house, and i could go on and on. you can say that its a poor monetary investment but then i spend less on my collective of cars than you do on expendable "fun". and then i can sell them when i'm done too. it's all relative. i wish i made more moneys so i could blow more.

besides, i always plan ahead: i don't wanna sell sti cause it's my most reliable, never really given me problems, nicest car. but i wanna pick up an FT86 when it comes out. so making space and mild sacrifices.
glhs377 is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #49
Tenacious Bee
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 96452
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pennsylvania
Vehicle:
So, what to play
with next ?

Default

Right, no one needs 400 whp, or 300 whp or even 200 whp. Some of us just want it.

I went through the 207 vs 257 thing back when my motor blew. After putting a pencil to it and thinking about what I wanted the car to do I went 257. 2.5L with bore matched wrx heads and drop in pistons is a lot cheaper than securing a 207, tearing it down, machine work ,replacing the stuff you should etc. In the end the 207 is a lot more fun and unique but also a lot more money for the same hp but wider power band and less tq all things being equal. That was my take on it.
Tenacious Bee is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #50
Blinden
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122993
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West PA
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB 5-door

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Bee View Post
Right, no one needs 400 whp, or 300 whp or even 200 whp. Some of us just want it.

I went through the 207 vs 257 thing back when my motor blew. After putting a pencil to it and thinking about what I wanted the car to do I went 257. 2.5L with bore matched wrx heads and drop in pistons is a lot cheaper than securing a 207, tearing it down, machine work ,replacing the stuff you should etc. In the end the 207 is a lot more fun and unique but also a lot more money for the same hp but wider power band and less tq all things being equal. That was my take on it.
Vern, what piston's did you use? I thought you were mentioning previously that you had wish you had done something different, I thought it was the pistons. are your heads stock (aside from bore matching?) You didn't do any valves or springs or cams or anything else, no bearings, rods? just pistons and bore matching the heads?
Blinden is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Pittsburgh Thread Build 4 WastingTime Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 8 04-26-2011 06:58 PM
Official Pittsburgh thread V3.0 MikeCee Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 10519 01-11-2009 09:08 PM
Camera Thread #62902.0031 V6.0 BacDoc Off-Topic 115 11-12-2007 04:22 PM
I miss the old Pittsburgh thread... you know, the one that crashed NASIOC? dmross Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 12 05-29-2006 03:10 PM
Didn't there used to be an official Pittsburgh Thread? crystalhelix Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 0 01-08-2004 07:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.