Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Barry Goldberg
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259853
Default Correct rear main seal for JDM engine

I recently bought a '97 outback with approx 200K miles for my daughter as her first car. It has a rear main oil seal leak that I've not been able to fix..(The repairs have been done by my friend who is the chief mechanic at a local Subaru dealership who I trust completely). He has replaced the rear seal twice and it is still leaking. The problem is that this car has a (replaced) twin cam JDM engine ( which I'm told is probably a newer engine than "97) and I'm guessing that he is using the seal for a '97. The number on the engine is 898115. Can anyone tell me what year engine this is and what the correct rear oil seal part number would be?

My mechanic is telling me that there should be no significant differences in seals for different years but I'm not so sure. If he is right, can anyone tell me why this would still be leaking (major leak). He has sealed the pan and everything else just in case. Also, can silicone sealer be used with this seal? MANY thanks...Barry
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Barry Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
AQ Motorsports
Former Vendor

Member#: 60836
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 Mod Class STI
TIMEATTACK!!

I'm fairly certain all rear main seals are the same for all EJs. I have a seal from a new (phase 2) gasket kit in my old phase 1 motor.

Is he sure the leak is coming from the seal and not the pcv or piston pin cover? Otherwise I would think there is a nick or gouge in the cranshaft or block preventing a good seal.
AQ Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Barry Goldberg
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanx very much

I will pass this on to my mechanic..I had asked him if there was a gouge in the Crank or block and he said that there was none...Barry
Old 10-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

What about the oil separator cover plate on the rear of the engine? That's a much more common leak location than the rear main seal.

And I'm with Harman - the EJs all use the same rear main seal.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
snoopyone8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42970
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS BlkDmdPrl
2000 2.5RS SilverthornMet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
What about the oil separator cover plate on the rear of the engine? That's a much more common leak location than the rear main seal.
Yep, +1 on this...Plastic plate=Doodie
snoopyone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Barry Goldberg
Scooby Newbie

Thanx once again for your help..This "small" problem has been a large problem for my daughter as the leak is just above the spot where the 2 pipes come together and the smoke is outrageous..Do you have any thoughts again about using sealer on the seal (if the main seal is truly the problem)? Will the oil eventually just get past the silicone?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Barry Goldberg
Scooby Newbie

Hi..Thanx for your help..My mechanic said that he sealed the separator cover plate...He also said that when he redid it the seal HAD NOT pushed back out of its seat..If there was a PCV problem, could it force oil around the seal without actually forcing the seal out??
Many Thanx....B